The Astronomy Thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Ya. I know we didn't send people up for a long time with the shuttle program. Obvious why it didn't land on water but the past years it was just never done. Wondering why now.
I think they decided not to go the landing on land route after their dragon blew up once or twice during retro rocket testing.

Cybsled

They’d call it off if weather was an issue.

Water landing with chutes is your only real option. lots of wiggle room and no risk of drifting into houses/trees/etc

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Screenshot_20200802-151003_YouTube.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Coast Guard will probably be used next time and they'll probably have to keep the exact landing spot under wraps.

• 1Like
Got back from folks, watched with dad. Splashdown !!

Private boaters need to be shamed a bit here. Not a political issue. I don't care if you vote for Jesus Christ as a write in candidate, stay away from all spacecraft unless you are invited. Show some goddam respect.

• 1Salty
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Glad to see them return and end the mission with a flawless victory.

050fhhz4ooe51.jpg

This was a publicity stunt pushed by none other than Elon Musk.

Cybsled

Lol always the same comments on those posts "hur dur, solve earth problems first then go to other planets hur dur". God I can't stand fucking idiots who think everything is some zero-sum solution.

Most of these dumb fucks don't realize how many Earth benefiting technologies arise from innovations made due to space travel.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users
yeah, I almost fell in to that trap. And that is the dagger right there: zero sum thinking is sometimes a very stupid way of looking at things.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Edit: scrubbed. Might recycle and go again.

hop in the next 20 minutes maybe.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Edit2: Done for today.

Edit: scrubbed. Might recycle and go again.

Another stream, siren has been heard, expected within the next several minutes.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Lol always the same comments on those posts "hur dur, solve earth problems first then go to other planets hur dur". God I can't stand fucking idiots who think everything is some zero-sum solution.

Most of these dumb fucks don't realize how many Earth benefiting technologies arise from innovations made due to space travel.
How can we send a man to the moon when there are meth addicts on the street and inequity in our school system?

• 1Triggered
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
How can we send a man to the moon when there are meth addicts on the street and inequity in our school system?

This shit. People never mind billion dollar missiles and fighter jets, but god forbid we make a minor exploratory jaunt into the fucking heavens.

• 1Worf