The Astronomy Thread

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
This is confusing:
The two gas giants orbit their host star at distances of 160 and about 320 times the Earth-Sun distance. This places these planets much further away from their star than Jupiter or Saturn, also two gas giants, are from the Sun; they lie at only 5 and 10 times the Earth-Sun distance, respectively.

So are they 5 to 10AU out or 160 to 320? Also 17 million years doesn't even seem long enough for planets to form? Should still be a dusty disc I'd think?

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm fairly sure their orbits are further out than pluto.

I did read a thing I barely remember that we may have planets orbiting past the past the oort cloud. Captures which account for comets, but don't have a discernable impact on the orbits of our named planets.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Surprised a yellow G can get something that far away so hot. I'll bet they migrated out

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm fairly sure their orbits are further out than pluto.

I did read a thing I barely remember that we may have planets orbiting past the past the oort cloud. Captures which account for comets, but don't have a discernable impact on the orbits of our named planets.

I watched some YouTube video that said there should be a 9/10th planet. I guess just like Neptune, there is math that predicts there is one. We just haven't found it yet.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I watched some YouTube video that said there should be a 9/10th planet. I guess just like Neptune, there is math that predicts there is one. We just haven't found it yet.

I imagine the math only suggests there is one; if a large planet is out there and we had an accurate location, we'd find it. If it is actually so far out there that we COULDN'T find it (ie Oort cloud) it also wouldn't be possible to use math to determine where it is.

• 1Dislike

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
20200719-DXB_7490s.jpg

went last saturday to try and check it. Damn I'm bad at this, took me half a bilion tries to focus my damn camera, couldn't see shit in the dark and every time I searched something with my torchlight I went blind for half an hour. Plus it was fucking 5°C. And I couldnt find my tripod so I had to use a 20$ one that was probably made by someone who had parkinson. Pretty sure the cows were laughing at us.
Fun times however, it's not something you see everyday.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Cybsled

I imagine the math only suggests there is one; if a large planet is out there and we had an accurate location, we'd find it. If it is actually so far out there that we COULDN'T find it (ie Oort cloud) it also wouldn't be possible to use math to determine where it is.

If it had a wonky orbit like Pluto, but much farther out, that would no doubt make it much harder to find. Especially if it had some type of wacky super orbital time measured in millennia. Pluto takes centuries to complete 1 orbit.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
View attachment 287655
went last saturday to try and check it. Damn I'm bad at this, took me half a bilion tries to focus my damn camera, couldn't see shit in the dark and every time I searched something with my torchlight I went blind for half an hour. Plus it was fucking 5°C. And I couldnt find my tripod so I had to use a 20$ one that was probably made by someone who had parkinson. Pretty sure the cows were laughing at us.
Fun times however, it's not something you see everyday.

I'd seriously considering framing that. Nice job.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
They're suggesting it's our systems dead companion star instead of a planet.

Cybsled

For it to be so dead that it is a black dwarf seems off...you’re talking a white dwarf that totally burned out already, but our sun is still main sequence? A large planet that got flung into an odd orbit early in the solar systems history seems more likely.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
For it to be so dead that it is a black dwarf seems off...you’re talking a white dwarf that totally burned out already, but our sun is still main sequence? A large planet that got flung into an odd orbit early in the solar systems history seems more likely.
The universe isn't old enough to have any black dwarfs.

• 1Dislike

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Propellent loading now, could be a static fire on SN5 tonight. Could see a hop next week.

Edit: tonights atttempt was aborted

Last edited:

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If it had a wonky orbit like Pluto, but much farther out, that would no doubt make it much harder to find. Especially if it had some type of wacky super orbital time measured in millennia. Pluto takes centuries to complete 1 orbit.

I thought i had read somewhere it could be a large planet, but with an orbit that could be somewhere between 150-300 AU (for ref, Neptune is 30 AU and Pluto at its furthest is just under 50 AU). That would be fairly difficult to find I would assume.