The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

Booster coming into harbor in rough seas, kind of looks off center / tilted, but could be the perspective / waves.

1605803406187.png

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Sad day.

Following a review of engineering assessments that found damage to the Arecibo Observatory cannot be stabilized without risk to construction workers and staff at the facility, the U.S. National Science Foundation will begin plans to decommission the 305-meter telescope, which for 57 years has served as a world-class resource for radio astronomy, planetary, solar system and geospace research.​

• 4Rustled
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 4 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Sad day.

Following a review of engineering assessments that found damage to the Arecibo Observatory cannot be stabilized without risk to construction workers and staff at the facility, the U.S. National Science Foundation will begin plans to decommission the 305-meter telescope, which for 57 years has served as a world-class resource for radio astronomy, planetary, solar system and geospace research.​

Damn. That's the James Bond one, right? And Contact, apparently.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
EnNOb3SXYAM6Tr4.jpg

Beautiful pic of the crescent Moon, Saturn, and Jupiter, nearing the Great Conjunction of 2020 that takes place on Dec 21st.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
  • 5Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
View attachment 318692

Beautiful pic of the crescent Moon, Saturn, and Jupiter, nearing the Great Conjunction of 2020 that takes place on Dec 21st.
Saturn is probably my favorite planet to look at through my telescope, I really need to invest into a nicer scope soon. Unfortunately the only good time to observe for me is during the winter as the humidity is so much lower and can get a lot of nice clear nights. Summertime I don't even attempt to take my telescope out. I am still salty about the 2017 total eclipse, it was going right over where I live and guess what comes right during totality, a fucking pop thunderstorm! I was waiting on that one event for at least 5+ years, so I am not going to be fucked in 2024 and I will be headed to Bandera, TX where one of my uncles lives.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Few months ago we was all laughing at grain silos blowing up and hoping around.
SN8 just complete its static fire test and passed so next week they go for a 15km/50,000 feet flight.

Fing awesome

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
SpaceX did more than SN8 engine test today, just launched a Falcon9 with more Spacelink sats.
First time a booster has been used 7 times and it landed for a 8th shot down the line.

• 5Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
SpaceX did more than SN8 engine test today, just launched a Falcon9 with more Spacelink sats.
First time a booster has been used 7 times and it landed for a 8th shot down the line.
It's still a bit saturating in term of camera on the droneship, but almost all the recent landings were seen live without a cut due to lost transmission when the ship moves too much and the satellite alignment is lost (or whatever).

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
SN9 already assembled and ready to rollout after SN8 flight/rud next week.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
While I am a bit of a SpaceX fanboi, and love what Musk is doing to space exploration and access, I'm also not going to lie. That new spaceship does look like it was made for a low budget B-movie Buck Rogers set from the 1950s.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
While I am a bit of a SpaceX fanboi, and love what Musk is doing to space exploration and access, I'm also not going to lie. That new spaceship does look like it was made for a low budget B-movie Buck Rogers set from the 1950s.

It must be some kind of phase he is going through, right? Like that Tesla truck abomination?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
At the moment, it's a pure no-frills, test one thing at a time series of models.

But let's be honest. The end result will BE a Buck Rogers rocket.

One that works.

• 1Like