The Astronomy Thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Gotta say SpaceX is the lone bright spot for humanity in the 21st century so far.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users
Good summary of the Chinese moon mission
The only good summary of the Chinese moon mission will end with the sentence, "and so after billions of wasted hours, and a nation furious at an incompetent and corrupt government, they gave up, and after three weeks of national unrest, the CCP was no more."

Cybsled

Eh, competition is good. It gets other nations off their asses and gets them to push the envelope. I want us on the moon again or Mars before the 2020s are over.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
While I am a bit of a SpaceX fanboi, and love what Musk is doing to space exploration and access, I'm also not going to lie. That new spaceship does look like it was made for a low budget B-movie Buck Rogers set from the 1950s.
totally agree, but I recently read about the advantages of having a steel construction and a few other things that differentiate Starship from the Space Shuttle and it's pretty well thought out. The TLDR is the space shuttle's aluminum construction + complex geometry + tile attachment mechanism made everything unreliable, expensive and time consuming. Having a stainless steel frame with uniform curves that tiles can be bolted on should be way better.

I think there's a 10% chance they land it the first go around though. It's just a crazy maneuver, there's just not enough information about how it'll work. They'll run it, probably fail, get a lot of info and tweak it as they improve the starship.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Gotta say SpaceX is the lone bright spot for humanity in the 21st century so far.

I was watching for that one when he announced it in his previous video. That one delivers.

But you should also absolutely see the previous one about various views (including "achievement unlocked", lol):

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
:emoji_cry:

1606842017331.png

1606842033962.png

1606842047017.png

• 4Rustled
  • 3Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 6 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Scott Manley goes over the collapse at Arecibo... with MS Paint, lol.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
FAA has issued the required temporary flight restrictions, Startship 15km flight as early as Friday.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Impressive how well the mission appears to have done thus far. We really need to get back to the moon and actually build there. Imagine if you could get even just fuel production facilities going, it would make Mars shots much easier.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Impressive how well the mission appears to have done thus far. We really need to get back to the moon and actually build there. Imagine if you could get even just fuel production facilities going, it would make Mars shots much easier.
Mars is just another shell of a planet. While I understand the necessity of stretching our legs, until a monster improvement occurs in our ability to transit space, ends up being a massive sink for funding. Getting the general populous behind it is going to take some work when most currently think NASA has been a huge waste of tax payer money. Ironically. "Fuck the Russians" doesn't hold water. Yet is still used politically. There needs to be another propaganda campaign that actually focuses on the benefits, beyond the existential.

Sending humans to Mars is still a stupid proposition. Until Elon gets his robot army building facilities. And even then we only have a dozen or so folks willing to test the experience at the poles. A big group signed up to go to Mars, but 99.999% are literally insane and not appropriate or educated enough. And a fear campaign (death of the earth, global warming, climate change, etc) isn't gonna get it done, either.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Mars is just another shell of a planet. While I understand the necessity of stretching our legs, until a monster improvement occurs in our ability to transit space, ends up being a massive sink for funding. Getting the general populous behind it is going to take some work when most currently think NASA has been a huge waste of tax payer money. Ironically. "Fuck the Russians" doesn't hold water. Yet is still used politically. There needs to be another propaganda campaign that actually focuses on the benefits, beyond the existential.

Sending humans to Mars is still a stupid proposition. Until Elon gets his robot army building facilities. And even then we only have a dozen or so folks willing to test the experience at the poles. A big group signed up to go to Mars, but 99.999% are literally insane and not appropriate or educated enough. And a fear campaign (death of the earth, global warming, climate change, etc) isn't gonna get it done, either.
I do agree with you, but the question is not how much would it cost to go to Mars, or anywhere else, but why should we go there. Harvesting ressources ? Is our goal as a species to colonize as much worlds as possible ?
I think we should try to send rovers on Jupiter's moons or Saturn's moon. That would be fucking amazing, having some land shot with Saturn rising in the sky. Mars can wait, and fuck the moon.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

Cybsled

Long term survival of the species dictates we need to leave Earth at some point. At some juncture we will need resources beyond what is on the Earth, or even the moon. We need to start pushing now, not when shit has hit the fan and we are all scrambling for a solution.

On an order of magnitude, Mars is closer to the belt than Earth in any event. It has abundant water, and presumably resources that can only develop with the presence of water.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users