The Astronomy Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The mind boggles that this works at all. The layering of technologies that have to perform perfectly is staggering.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Capture.JPG

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Have they talked about what sort of timeline they are expecting before they have a mission to collect the samples? 10-20 years? less?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Have they talked about what sort of timeline they are expecting before they have a mission to collect the samples? 10-20 years? less?

My brother-in-law is part of the JPL team building the orbital storage system for the samples. They're targeting return in 2031 right now, launch 2026.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah. I find it good to know, if I want inside details on JPL scheduling plans, this site -- of course -- has someone who could, if needed, make a phone call. Shit's boss.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Yeah. I find it good to know, if I want inside details on JPL scheduling plans, this site -- of course -- has someone who could, if needed, make a phone call. Shit's boss.

And when I need to jump over a podium and crack open some students chest to massage their heart back to life, I can @ you.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm pumped to find out which woman of color were responsible for the success of the Mars landing

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users
And when I need to jump over a podium and crack open some students chest to massage their heart back to life, I can @ you.

It requires significant muscle and lots of interns vomit the first time they see me demonstrate it. First, never crack a sternum in a way that applies pressure upwards toward the head area. Make sure the force is pushing down into the gut. I had one student forget this, and fuck if an eye didn't pop out of the patient's socket and scare the bejesus out of everyone. It was funny, but it's not professional.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Just posted these in FSR couple images I pulled from press conference their holding now.
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They installed a mic on the rover, so we should eventually get some sound too. I don't expect much other than wind, but it'll be cool to hear sound from another planet nonetheless.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
On the topic of sound and space; I caught this video recently. The sounds of Mars are quite different than sounds on Earth.

• 1Like