The Astronomy Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Lol. It's a fucking space rocket company. I'd be more surprised if there were any purchase orders UNDER $10,000.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Lol. It's a fucking space rocket company. I'd be more surprised if there were any purchase orders UNDER $10,000.

it's almost like the consulting company talked to musk and he paid them to give bezos a bunch of retarded information

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Captain Suave

it's almost like the consulting company talked to musk and he paid them to give bezos a bunch of retarded information
It would be pretty hilarious if they had actually interviewed Musk, he trolled them, and they took him at his word. I've seen dumber things happen in consulting.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Cybsled

The biggest take aways are cost controls, attracting top talent because they are getting shit done and innovating, and keeping most stuff in house.

2 of those items are Amazon’s operating practices anyways, so I’m surprised they haven’t taken those to heart. Talent will be harder to get - if you are a young go getter, you’re going to want to be with the company going to the moon and Mars

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The biggest take aways are cost controls, attracting top talent because they are getting shit done and innovating, and keeping most stuff in house.

2 of those items are Amazon’s operating practices anyways, so I’m surprised they haven’t taken those to heart.
That's because it's not Amazon. Bezos founded BO as a completely separate entity, and well before Musk founded SpaceX, and the first thing he did was to recruit and put in charge people straight out of classic Aerospace while he was still busy managing Amazon for the next 15 years. His first recruits were people who were managers at Boeing.

Basically, he made a clone of ULA 6 years before ULA was merged. And the ULA-type mentality is nurtured in Cost-Plus contracts ("we don't have customers, we have people who will pay us whatever and whenever we bill them") and monopolies ("of course we're going to get the contract").

Which means that cost control and innovation were never part of the equation. Blue Origin thought for over a decade that they were going to be ULA 2.0. At that point, the corporate culture is baked in, and it won't really be possible to reform.

• 2Like

Captain Suave

Sounds like the beginning of a bad ending movie, lol

Ensign: "Admiral, asteroid successfully deflected ten degrees on the vertical and negative five degrees on the horizontal!"

Admiral: "Ensign, you mean positive five degrees? Confirm?"

Ensign: "..."

• 1Mother of God

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Avascent report noted that SpaceX sometimes culls the bottom 10 percent of its workforce to ensure the company only has high-performing employees. The Blue Origin executives generally agreed that this was excessive. However, they did consider the possibility of terminating the bottom 5 percent.

And in case you wanted to know why the sjw hate Elon with a passion.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
  • 1Imbecile
  • 1Like

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Guy has all kinds of videos for unique astronomical phenomena that I don't see anywhere else:

• 1Solidarity

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I watched this video about a week or two ago, and didn't realize all the stuff this telescope can do. Seems like it has a high chance to fail, and that something breaks.

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I really hope it has a successful launch but to say I was worried it wouldn't would be an understatement.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Surprised they didnt change the name of it. Lots of blue hairs and sjws bitching about it being named after Webb a man who supposedly made Hitler look like Jesus.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Wouldn't shock me if this blows up with all the contrived controversy surrounding the name.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I really hope it has a successful launch but to say I was worried it wouldn't would be an understatement.

Yeah, worried is an understatement. Too many moving parts and complex systems to feel safe.

I see 3 major issues in that video alone.

1) Distance from earth. We cant send a crew to replace/clean parts like we have done with Hubble.

2) Must apparently be in constant motion for the mirrors to do work their magic. One broken motor and..... see #1.

3) In part depending on an active cooling system, again see #1.

BTW, why is the US slinging this thing from the EU space launch pad? Not that I mind but it feels like a project I personaly would like to keep "in house" as much as possible, shipping it to a diffrent continent seems like just another risk factor.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, worried is an understatement. Too many moving parts and complex systems to feel safe.

I see 3 major issues in that video alone.

1) Distance from earth. We cant send a crew to replace/clean parts like we have done with Hubble.

2) Must apparently be in constant motion for the mirrors to do work their magic. One broken motor and..... see #1.

3) In part depending on an active cooling system, again see #1.

BTW, why is the US slinging this thing from the EU space launch pad? Not that I mind but it feels like a project I personaly would like to keep "in house" as much as possible, shipping it to a diffrent continent seems like just another risk factor.
I have no idea what I'm talking about

But I would be betting on orbital dynamics. It's likely more efficient from their based on the path it needs to take

Captain Suave

BTW, why is the US slinging this thing from the EU space launch pad?

- Equatorial launch makes it easier to get to L2.
- Politics due to EU involvement.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
WoUm7okc.jpeg

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users