The Astronomy Thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I want the drugs Shatner has been taking.that dude is 90.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if Elon is going to try and top Bezos by inviting Patrick Stewart on one of his flights?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
daIgANcb.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I gave up giving a shit about what George "Oh My" Takei thinks about anything years ago.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A retarded beyond washed up actor like that gaining relevance over the years is one of the many signs social media is on the level of malaria for worst things humanity has had to endure.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
A retarded beyond washed up actor like that gaining relevance over the years is one of the many signs social media is on the level of malaria for worst things humanity has had to endure.
It amazes me that somebody like him, whose parents were locked in an internment camp by FDR during ww2 because of their ethnicity would turn into such a leftwing shill.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I can't wait for the time the SLS finally launches it's first manned flight. The Tesla/SpaceX anti-grav flying saucers will be able to hover around it and get some awesome chase cam footage of it!

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Seemed like the thread to bitch. Ordered wife a telescope like she's wanted for ages. Ordered in August, back ordered everywhere. Watched the anticipated date get moved back slowly to maybe beginning of December.

No hair off my back other than they havnt billed until it ships so I'm just waiting to get hit with a one grand charge suddenly at any time.

• 1Like

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
He's mad that he didn't come to his gay wedding. Shatner has said Takei was basically an asshole who never even tried to be friendly with him when they were making Star Trek, so he was pissed that he was even invited in the first place.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
He's mad that he didn't come to his gay wedding. Shatner has said Takei was basically an asshole who never even tried to be friendly with him when they were making Star Trek, so he was pissed that he was even invited in the first place.
Back before Stern turned into a total bitch and Artie was still on the show. They would have George Takei sit in for a few days at a time, I have to say he was pretty funny and was willing to make jokes at his own expense. Guess he followed Stern down the Bitch Trail.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Seemed like the thread to bitch. Ordered wife a telescope like she's wanted for ages. Ordered in August, back ordered everywhere. Watched the anticipated date get moved back slowly to maybe beginning of December.

No hair off my back other than they havnt billed until it ships so I'm just waiting to get hit with a one grand charge suddenly at any time.
Good news. It's her Christmas present now.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
94% is a big number, yet it's almost hard to comprehend just how much that 6% is. Just really even properly grasping the scope of our solar system is too much for most (or even the size of the earth-moon system)

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, while the universe isn't infinite in size (at least unless you believe in the Steady State Universe Theory), it's still large enough that 6%, from the point of view of our puny human brains, is as good as infinite.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

NASA has asked the US aerospace industry how it would go about "maximizing the long-term efficiency and sustainability" of the Space Launch System rocket and its associated ground systems.​
In its request NASA says it would like to fly the SLS rocket for "30 years or more" as a national capability. Moreover, the agency wants the rocket to become a "sustainable and affordable system for moving humans and large cargo payloads to cislunar and deep-space destinations."​
How does one make a system that has been anything but affordable and sustainable into something that is affordable and sustainable? NASA says it wants to transition ownership of rocket production and ground services to the private industry. In return, this private contractor should build and launch the SLS at a substantial savings of 50 percent or more off of the current industry "baseline per flight cost."​
Notably, NASA has never publicly stated this baseline flight cost. Ars asked the NASA communications office on Tuesday for this figure, but as of Wednesday morning there has been no response. In 2019, the White House Office of Management and Budget estimated the cost of one SLS launch a year at "over $2 billion." Subsequently NASA did not deny that figure, but it has not been transparent with taxpayers about the rocket's expected costs.​
Anyway, NASA now proposes to cut this cost—whatever it is—in half. And it seeks to fly the Space Launch System rocket well into the middle of the 21st century.​
This may be theoretically possible, although the agency's history with the large rocket has been shown to be full of wildly over-optimistic assumptions. When the SLS rocket was conceived in 2010 and formally announced in 2011, it was supposed to be launched by the end of 2016 and developed for $10 billion.​
Among the rocket's chief architects was then-Florida Senator Bill Nelson, who steered billions of dollars to Kennedy Space Center in his home state for upgraded ground systems equipment to support the rocket. Back in 2011, he proudly said the rocket would be delivered on time and on budget.​
“This rocket is coming in at the cost of... not only what we estimated in the NASA Authorization act, but less,” Nelson said at the time. “The cost of the rocket over a five- to six-year period in the NASA authorization bill was to be no more than $11.5 billion. This costs $10 billion for the rocket.” Later, he went further, saying, "If we can't do a rocket for $11.5 billion, we ought to close up shop."​
After more than 10 years, and more than $30 billion spent on the rocket and its ground systems, NASA has not closed up shop. Rather, Nelson has ascended to become the space agency's administrator.​

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf