The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
JWST pushed to no earlier than 12/24 for launch, due to a communications issue between it and it's rocket.

Boeing still trying to do their thing... giving it another go in May.

Last edited:

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Did they manage to fix the extremely complicated problem with, uh, (checks notes) valves?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

With how complicated and how expensive this thing is seems like it would have been better to have just placed it on the Moon and take advantage of those 2 week long nights.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

With how complicated and how expensive this thing is seems like it would have been better to have just placed it on the Moon and take advantage of those 2 week long nights.
Lunar telescopes are... problematic.

First of all, day-night does not matter much for the observation - shield it from the reflections of the ground, and the sky remains dark anyway, since there is no atmosphere to scatter solar light. But it matters a lot for engineering. The difference in temperature between lunar day and night are... well night and day. We're talking swings from -300°F to +225°F. And since you're grounded, convection matters, so you will suffer the differential.

The actual best locations for such a telescope would be crater on the poles. You get a stable environment, you don't have to suffer from solar or earth obstruction... but you have a fixed view of only half the sky. Meaning you need TWO of them, on the north and south poles, to be complete.

The great advantage of a lunar telescope, though, is that it can be built, as you noticed. You don't send your telescope - you ship individual parts, which can be assembled on site. Potentially, you might even smelt and engineer the mirrors on the spot, which means you can make it much larger. You can service it a bit easier than anything save LEO telescopes. And, since it's anchored and has motors, it's a lot easier to point at any point in the sky in view, rather than the complicated and costly gyroscope maneuvers that are required for space telescopes. A few well-placed solar panels on the ground, and your power supply is good for decades.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Lunar telescopes are... problematic.

First of all, day-night does not matter much for the observation - shield it from the reflections of the ground, and the sky remains dark anyway, since there is no atmosphere to scatter solar light. But it matters a lot for engineering. The difference in temperature between lunar day and night are... well night and day. We're talking swings from -300°F to +225°F. And since you're grounded, convection matters, so you will suffer the differential.

The actual best locations for such a telescope would be crater on the poles. You get a stable environment, you don't have to suffer from solar or earth obstruction... but you have a fixed view of only half the sky. Meaning you need TWO of them, on the north and south poles, to be complete.

The great advantage of a lunar telescope, though, is that it can be built, as you noticed. You don't send your telescope - you ship individual parts, which can be assembled on site. Potentially, you might even smelt and engineer the mirrors on the spot, which means you can make it much larger. You can service it a bit easier than anything save LEO telescopes. And, since it's anchored and has motors, it's a lot easier to point at any point in the sky in view, rather than the complicated and costly gyroscope maneuvers that are required for space telescopes. A few well-placed solar panels on the ground, and your power supply is good for decades.

Best type of telescope to put on the moon would be a radio telescope on the far side of the moon - the moon itself would act as a natural barrier to filter out interference from Earth

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Now postponed a day due to weather.

All I want for Christmas is the next great space telescope safely on it's way to L2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
L2? Pussy shit. Get me a gravity lensing telescope out past 550 AU. High enough rez to glimpse some sunbathing Arcturian poontang.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
1640283772989.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Womp Womp.

That's what I feel whenever I see a Delta or Ariane in current year: Womp Womp.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Liftoff at ~7:20am EST

NASA official livestream for James Webb liftoff to start at 6:00am EST:

NASASpaceflight channel livestream starting at 5:45am EST:

CosmoSapiens channel stream to start at 5:00am EST:

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
324 points of failure and NASA estimates it has a 80% chance of success. You may well get your wish.
I've played enough of X-Com for those odds to give me heartburn! ...or is that the vaccine?

Anyway... Godspeed!

• 3Worf

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Looks like everything is going smoothly so far. First stage has separated and the 2nd has taken over.

• 2Like