The Astronomy Thread

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
IMO, whether or not electronics will break under ~10,000 G's is much less important than what happens when they inevitably have a timing error on release and launch the thing into the walls of their ground facility
Manley thinks it's the shifting weight, and I tend to agree.

That's a lot of mass, moving fast, with a near instant changing of it's center of gravity.

It's going to put a lot of stress on that arm etc.

But yeah, would be pretty spectacular to see them put a rocket through their facility. Lolol

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The acceleration on the path of travel is very slow; the payload is brought up to speed over a period of 90 minutes or so. The issue is centripetal acceleration, which is high but sustained

Phones break when dropped onto hard surfaces because of the concentration of stresses. As mentioned in the video, current commercial electronics can withstand thousands of G's if applied to the entire structure. This doesn't meant that it's not a consideration, just not one that's immediately fatal to the concept at the configuration they're targeting.

IMO, whether or not electronics will break under ~10,000 G's is much less important than what happens when they inevitably have a timing error on release and launch the thing into the walls of their ground facility.
I was an electrical engineer, not mechanical, but shocks are different than sustained accelerations but both have issues. You have to think about resonant frequencies, PCBs paint canning etc.

Also, your phone might survive a drop from 4 feet onto tile or it might not. Most of us wouldn't repeatedly drop our phones from 4 feet onto tile because we wouldn't want to risk a $500 phone. Now imagine doing it with your 100 million dollar satellite which took 5 years to build and cannot be repaired if even the slightest thing breaks on it. Another cool thing about stuff that's going into space is that there's no gravity so if you leave a tiny screw or something loose in the assembly it can just merrily float around bumping into your boards and shorting things out for the life of the satellite.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
9.6.2003_05.med.jpg

That's a $135M NOAA satellite at Lockheed that someone failed to follow procedures on.

• 2WTF
  • 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think I like the magnetic rail in a vacuum tunnel idea more than this sling approach.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
9.6.2003_05.med.jpg

That's a $135M NOAA satellite at Lockheed that someone failed to follow procedures on.
When I worked for F/A-18, I would always say that I was "amazed planes weren't constantly falling out of the sky. Clearly there were some smart people there making sure they didn't, but I never met them."

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

On the morning of Friday, November 19, the full Beaver Moon will take place in a 97%-total lunar eclipse, according to NASA, meaning that nearly all of the moon’s surface will be shrouded in the Earth’s shadow. November 2021’s eclipse will be about three and a half hours long, stretching from 2:18 to 5:47 a.m. EST. The Beaver Moon eclipse will peak at 4:02 a.m. EST, NASA reports, and will be visible across North America.

• 3Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
294 days/year of sunshine in Vegas.

We had clouds for the eclipse.

• 3Worf

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Lunar Eclipses happen roughly twice a year. If you want to catch the next one, Nasa has them all listed out to 2100:

If you keep filtering for rareness, everything becomes a once in a lifetime event...

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
For the first time we have NASA and JPL involved in the basic foundation for SpaceX initial Mars Base Alpha plans.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
As much as I want to see his wildest dreams succeed, its hard not to think Starship and everything around it is typical Musk monumentally overselling if not outright bullshitting for fame and money. The guy has a very clear history of hyping amazing new products that will revolutionize how we live and they fall completely flat on their face or endlessly delayed; Tesla semi, hyperloop, tesla taxi, telsa solar roof tiles etc.

Having a single crewed vehicle thats designed to land on Earth, Mars and Luna sounds great on paper but so did the Space Shuttle and we all know how that turned out. If youre wanting to send something to the Luna you dont need a heat shield, you dont need a craft that has an aerodynamic features. Thats all wasted weight and thus wasted fuel pushing that wasted weight.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Salty

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
As much as I want to see his wildest dreams succeed, its hard not to think Starship and everything around it is typical Musk monumentally overselling if not outright bullshitting for fame and money. The guy has a very clear history of hyping amazing new products that will revolutionize how we live and they fall completely flat on their face or endlessly delayed; Tesla semi, hyperloop, tesla taxi, telsa solar roof tiles etc.

Having a single crewed vehicle thats designed to land on Earth, Mars and Luna sounds great on paper but so did the Space Shuttle and we all know how that turned out. If youre wanting to send something to the Luna you dont need a heat shield, you dont need a craft that has an aerodynamic features. Thats all wasted weight and thus wasted fuel pushing that wasted weight.

I can't even imagine being this clueless about what musk has already accomplished and it's future potential.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I was an electrical engineer, not mechanical, but shocks are different than sustained accelerations but both have issues. You have to think about resonant frequencies, PCBs paint canning etc.

Also, your phone might survive a drop from 4 feet onto tile or it might not. Most of us wouldn't repeatedly drop our phones from 4 feet onto tile because we wouldn't want to risk a $500 phone. Now imagine doing it with your 100 million dollar satellite which took 5 years to build and cannot be repaired if even the slightest thing breaks on it. Another cool thing about stuff that's going into space is that there's no gravity so if you leave a tiny screw or something loose in the assembly it can just merrily float around bumping into your boards and shorting things out for the life of the satellite.

I would imagine a sling launcher would be used to launch raw or near raw materials up. But ya, widgets aren't going to be going up in the thing. No fucking way.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
I would imagine a sling launcher would be used to launch raw or near raw materials up. But ya, widgets aren't going to be going up in the thing. No fucking way.
Do you forget this guy has made some insanely wild and stupid claims? Like this gem, from 4 1/2 years ago now;

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Do you forget this guy has made some insanely wild and stupid claims? Like this gem, from 4 1/2 years ago now;

cool

giphy.gif

also, regardless of his braggadociousness and bloviating, the boring company is a real company, with real contracts, digging real tunnels.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users