The Astronomy Thread

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Shit that has never been seen before? Furthest in time we have looked. You guys expected to see God?

View attachment 421486

Yeah, it's a massive improvement over the Hubble one.

The picture reaffirms my belief that there is Extraterrestrial intelligence out there, but it's so far away we'll never know.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brad2770

intelligence out there, but we'll never know.

31CB22FE-793B-4E59-85C1-AAE5DECED86A.jpeg

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The cool part about deep field is that they took the darkest part of the sky and peered into it, seeing an explosion of galaxies. Some context of how invisible the new Webb's deep field was with hubble would be useful.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hubble vs Webb. Note that this exposure took weeks with hubble and 12 hours with Webb

• 9Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 9 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
More resolution should mean they can look for jets on the super redshifted ones or other strange stuff.

I'll check it out tomorrow after the good stuff drops

• 3Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Hubble vs Webb. Note that this exposure took weeks with hubble and 12 hours with Webb

Lets be honest. The NASA fuckheads were saying how it's so beautiful they were crying at the images. I want to see an alien great wall of china, or GTFO

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

The gifs do a pretty good job. Kind of looks like a 2008 cellphone vs. modern cellphone in terms of quality

The picture reaffirms my belief that there is Extraterrestrial intelligence out there, but it's so far away we'll never know.

Either that or....

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Ok, does it have to be in that parallelogram shape or can it be any four points of light? And why four and not five, or 3?? Learning, not arguing!

It's because the gravitational lens in this case is an oblong galaxy. With more distortion in one axis than the other you get a quadripole image because the diagonal light rays (relative to the galaxy's plane) get projected away from the viewer. If the lense were perfectly symmetric and the object exactly behind the lens you'd get a ring. With exotic configurations and alignments you might be able to get a triangle or something.

• 3Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
It's because the gravitational lens in this case is an oblong galaxy. With more distortion in one axis than the other you get a quadripole image because the diagonal light rays (relative to the galaxy's plane) get projected away from the viewer. If the lense were perfectly symmetric and the object exactly behind the lens you'd get a ring. With exotic configurations and alignments you might be able to get a triangle or something.

That makes perfect sense, thank you!

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ok, does it have to be in that parallelogram shape or can it be any four points of light? And why four and not five, or 3?? Learning, not arguing!
Captain Suave's answer was nice and succinct.

If you want a bit more, here is a longer answer from Quora:
2022-07-11 23.41.49 www.quora.com ebe25103598a.png

2022-07-11 23.36.53 www.quora.com ef6cd25ce748.png
2022-07-11 23.37.38 www.quora.com a4570249f6c0.png

• 3Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks like many images of the same pale orange galaxy too. Realistically though these are images mostly for politicians that don't know anything to ooh and aah over and NASA is hamming it up to make sure the money keeps coming.
Most of the actual science these days is done by writing algorithms trying to sift through terabytes of data. Astronomy was one of the directions I considered going in and the students at the open house day all said it was a week of pretty pictures and then 4 years of mathematics. I noped out.

• 1Truth!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
if it all looks the same then who cares?

looks the same as whatever hubble did 30 years ago

no, but something like pillars of creations would be nice. NASA literally fucking sucks at everything.

Jeez man. Didn't need to break it down that much. Now I'm wishing I said more!

Lets be honest here...all these astronomy photos look the same. Unless we are seeing detailed photos of lets say an accretion disk, or a magnetar, you will just be like, oh that's pretty.

Initially it was about the photos. Hubble gave us that in spades. Now its about the science, and proof. I want them to see right to the edge. I want to see so far back, we are looking at nothing but radiation and...plasma.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Jeez man. Didn't need to break it down that much. Now I'm wishing I said more!

Lets be honest here...all these astronomy photos look the same. Unless we are seeing detailed photos of lets say an accretion disk, or a magnetar, you will just be like, oh that's pretty.

Initially it was about the photos. Hubble gave us that in spades. Now its about the science, and proof. I want them to see right to the edge. I want to see so far back, we are looking at nothing but radiation and...plasma.

Yeah I want to see different shit. I want to see accrretion disks, quasars or just cool nebula. All of the deep field photography looks the same. Bunch of galaxies, each a couple pixels across, not nearly enough for any meaningful detail, across a black background

• 1Moron