The Astronomy Thread

Oldbased

> Than U
Not sure if it is NASA, SpaceX or the silly people grifting Boca Chica space grifts on youtube but every fucking time I go watch a static fire live they got some new ass term. What in the fucking hell is a "Spin Prime"?

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Hes not wrong on this. The fact we have a nice dense atmosphere makes kinetic launch systems like that fairly pointless, thats not even getting into the incredible engineering challenges(vacuum issues, the complexity of designing an incredibly heavy rotating mechanism that can deal with the massive weight redistribution that takes place at release etc.) and power requirements for something like spin launch.

All so they can launch a tiny payload at similar costs to current launch providers.
BP agreeing with me makes me feel dirty.

• 1OK, Sure
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Artemis launch tomorrow is win / win for me. If everything succeeds we get an amazing launch. If everything fails catastrophically the program is more likely to be rethought around Starship sooner. I'll he surprised if Artemis III uses the SLS, so i guess it doesn't matter.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Lookin bad for a launch today boys.

Building rockets around old engines feels like those scifi stories of building on old tech from previous civilizations they don't understand. Expanse, mass effect, wh40k etc. It's embarrassing.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Building rockets around old engines feels like those scifi stories of building on old tech from previous civilizations they don't understand. Expanse, mass effect, wh40k etc. It's embarrassing.
Thats what happens when you have retarded government drones in charge of a program designed specifically to be a jobs program first and foremost and a good launch platform secondary.

Artemis is a great metaphor for 21st century America.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Such a fan of space exploration but can't help but root against SLS. Such a waste of money that isn't forward thinking. Nothing about that rocket is going to get us where we need to be going.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Such a fan of space exploration but can't help but root against SLS. Such a waste of money that isn't forward thinking. Nothing about that rocket is going to get us where we need to be going.
We wuz moon explorers! Someday we’ll rediscover our lost technology.

• 4Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 5 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We wuz moon explorers! Someday we’ll rediscover our lost technology.
Want to know a truly depressing fact? The Saturn V cost less per launch than the Space Shuttle did. $1.23 billion v $1.5 billion.

Imagine the space program we would have today we launched 100+ Saturn Vs. I really hope every retard involved in the Shuttle program burns in hell for the unimaginable set back to civilization and waste of tax dollars they caused.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Want to know a truly depressing fact? The Saturn V cost less per launch than the Space Shuttle did. $1.23 billion v $1.5 billion.

Imagine the space program we would have today we launched 100+ Saturn Vs. I really hope every retard involved in the Shuttle program burns in hell for the unimaginable set back to civilization and waste of tax dollars they caused.
Boy are you going to be maaaad when they reveal the UFO tech 🤣

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Boy are you going to be maaaad when they reveal the UFO tech 🤣
1221.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users