The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Cool that the safety systems saved the capsule tho.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The way that capsule shot off, i'm really curious what the G's were. Looks like it would have liquified people.
Just from eyeballing the video, it increased speed by over 100 mph is less than a second. That's quite a kick in the seat. If that wouldn't have injured crew, the 40 seconds of freefall after the boost would have them in both cardiac arrest and in need of fresh pants.

Video timestamped to RUD:

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The way that capsule shot off, i'm really curious what the G's were. Looks like it would have liquified people.
Scott "FLY SAFE!!!" Manley seemed to think the G were harsh, but eminently survivable for that short duration.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Might have been a rough ride but it looks a lot better than being bolted to that rocket.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The Gs would be interesting to know. I remember Maldonado's F1 crash in monaco spiking over 100, anything over 30 I think and you are required to go the medical center even if you walk away.

How much are fighter ejection seats? I've heard you can tear a retina loose with those but dunno if it is true.

Cybsled

The Gs would be interesting to know. I remember Maldonado's F1 crash in monaco spiking over 100, anything over 30 I think and you are required to go the medical center even if you walk away.

How much are fighter ejection seats? I've heard you can tear a retina loose with those but dunno if it is true.

Any rocket powered ejection system is going to be rough. For fighter jets, for example, if your limbs aren't in the proper position when it goes off, you can literally break your arms/legs because the force is so powerful. Even if you do it properly, your spine can get perma fucked up by the forces at play. In terms of Gs, I've seen figures around 10-20 on average.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hydrogen in theory has its uses in rocketry, but it presents a lot more problems than just about any other fuel, so it really should be a last resort choice when first choice options aren’t sufficient. Methane, lng and kerosene are all just better suited for civilian space use generally. Other fuels are better for military, where long term storage is a primary consideration.

Not saying it can’t be done, but it takes a very tiny fuck up to have a very big mishap with hydrogen, and going to space isn’t exactly safe to begin with.
The problem isn't hydrogen. Hydrogen has been used since the beginning of space flight; the Saturn V made use of a hydrogen fueled upper stage.

Just bad engineering and maintenance. Again this is a jobs program, not a program meant to build a good rocket.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Artemis's next dates are 23rd and 27th. I'll be at the watch party and post spectacular videos of it being cancelled again. Or in the unlikely event they decide to yolo, pictures of it exploding.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
that hydrogen paste i have read about might come in handy for rockets.

though that might be more for energy production.
Something you mix with water and slowly releases energy? Rockets need hydrogen in the explosive form, so definitely not something useful for rocketry. Sounds a bit contrived for electronics too, with the water stage. That said, haven't reviewed their studies, so that's an off the wall comment.

Cybsled

Not good for rockets, this is mostly a possible fuel idea for hydrogen fuel cells since it is a safer/more stable means of delivering the hydrogen

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
JWST - Neptune

1663779418270.png

1663779362931.png

1663779484991.png

• 15Like
Reactions: 14 users