The Astronomy Thread

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
They're rolling it back to the VAB tonight at 11pm EST. Might be able to launch in October but more likely no sooner than mid to late November.

At this rate we may see Starship hit orbit first. That would be nice.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Unsurprising. Hydrogen may offer the best performance, but it is finicky.
That performance boost is moot when you consider the huge expense of making a rocket that uses it. You could use something else and make much cheaper rockets and get more tonnage to orbit per dollar by NOT going with Hydrogen.

If only someone (SpaceX) was doing that!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

The DART spacecraft will intentionally crash into asteroid Dimorphos at 7:14 p.m. ET on Monday, September 26, 2022 to see if kinetic force can change its orbit.

Live now.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve been watching it for about 20 minutes, want to see this big rock up close.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Also, how come everyone in the control place are white? and notice the two mask wearers in the back.

edit: reminded me of playing an online video game back in the days of a 2400 baud modem.

• 1Picard

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Apparently it's going to take a couple of months to see if we noticeably changed the thing's orbit.

As for close ups, it's a boulder covered rock. You don't get to see the impact yet. There's a small satellite craft that will let us see that in a few days or weeks.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Jupiter closest it's been in 50 years. Starts in the southeast after dark and by midnight south, high in the sky. No missing it, very very bright. With 10 power binos I was able to pick out 3 moons with them on my tripod. I did not break out one of my telescopes. Brightest thing in the sky should be very easy to pick out with the naked eye. I did it Monday night at midnight, supposed to be bright the next couple nights as well. I'm sure if you had a top end cell phone you could probably get a decent pic of it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Jupiter closest it's been in 50 years. Starts in the southeast after dark and by midnight south, high in the sky. No missing it, very very bright. With 10 power binos I was able to pick out 3 moons with them on my tripod. I did not break out one of my telescopes. Brightest thing in the sky should be very easy to pick out with the naked eye. I did it Monday night at midnight, supposed to be bright the next couple nights as well. I'm sure if you had a top end cell phone you could probably get a decent pic of it.
You'd be able to see the Galilean moons with the naked eye if Jupiter didn't drown them out.

Cybsled

Looks like NASA is exploring a SpaceX partnership to boost Hubble’s orbit

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looks like NASA is exploring a SpaceX partnership to boost Hubble’s orbit
They should just outright outsource all NASA to SpaceX. Imagine what SpaxeX could so with Nasa's budget and infrastructure.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Imagine paying $20 billion for this, the best picture is the first one from 1989

1664502577843.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Seriously?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Are they sure its even working properly?

Maybe its miscalibrated like the Hubble was when it was first launched but they just cant admit they hav a $20B boondoggle

• 1Tiresome
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
It's almost like all three are using wildly different technologies for different purposes and "sexiest desktop background" was not their primary criteria.

$20B telescope that boasts it can see "through time to the beginning of the universe" cant even take a decent photo of a planet inside our solar system thats 4x bigger than earth

meanwhile 30 year old hubble (ALSO A TELESCOPE) takes an image thats better than Webb

• 1Tiresome

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
$20B telescope that boasts it can see "through time to the beginning of the universe" cant even take a decent photo of a planet inside our solar system thats 4x bigger than earth

meanwhile 30 year old hubble (ALSO A TELESCOPE) takes an image thats better than Webb
And they operate in totally different frequencies of light, hence the differences in the images - like how Hubble couldn't resolve the rings at all. Frequency directly relates to resolution, which is why the best microscopes use light WAY out of the visible spectrum. Different tools, different purpose.

• 4Like