The Astronomy Thread

Brad2770

So, what you’re saying is that in less than 20 years, we will see another once in a lifetime 50,000 year orbit comet?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
We have been doing this shit for 60 years. How is it still this difficult?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

SpaceX needed three launches before they finally mastered engineering of their rockets.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Three whole launches?
That was the Falcon 1 (only 1 engine) at the time, launching from Kwajalein where they had gotten a launchpad. The first three were failures, and the fourth (in Sep. 2008) finally managed to reach orbit and deliver its payload.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Rocketry is really fucking hard and requires tons of institutional expertise, which Virgin does not yet possess. Over the holidays I listened to my cousin describe work on the control systems for Starship and how he has to juggle 30 engines simultaneously in real time to prevent harmonic resonances from making the whole thing blow up. No thanks.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Rocketry is really fucking hard and requires tons of institutional expertise, which Virgin does not yet possess. Over the holidays I listened to my cousin describe work on the control systems for Starship and how he has to juggle 30 engines simultaneously in real time to prevent harmonic resonances from making the whole thing blow up. No thanks.
Harmonic resonances. Is this like granularity?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
He has already declared that if he establishes a colony on Mars that he will not consider it under the jurisdiction of any governing body on Earth.

Cybsled

Time for SpaceX to start making Donanger Class ships

1673718324402.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If he makes it in my lifetime, I will beg him to let me go just so I can die on Mars.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users