The Astronomy Thread

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If he makes it in my lifetime, I will beg him to let me go just so I can die on Mars.

Buzz_Aldrin_Mars-40178e0.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1673771886032.png

Swear fealty to Musk, first of his name, Emperor of Mars and you too may serve in the imperial army. One day children will read about your heroic deeds fighting off the invaders from Earth.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This is pretty interesting. One of the first parity-violations (asymmetries) in physics we've found that wasn't at the subatomic scale.

IMO it must be evidence that the entire universe is spinning. Hard to imagine how any of the known parity violations at the small scale could cause such a statistically significant asymmetry at the supergalactic scale while not causing any asymmetry at the medium scales in between.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
This is pretty interesting. One of the first parity-violations (asymmetries) in physics we've found that wasn't at the subatomic scale.

IMO it must be evidence that the entire universe is spinning. Hard to imagine how any of the known parity violations at the small scale could cause such a statistically significant asymmetry at the supergalactic scale while not causing any asymmetry at the medium scales in between.
worried-cat.gif

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Actually the toilet bowl is a great analogue model for what I was saying lol. I'm sure if you zoomed in on the crud that accumulates each time you flush, you would see swirl patterns that favor the direction the water spins in as you flush.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe more of a shower thought / suited for science fiction but eh, heady stuff still.

Feeling a little manic today (every time a coronal mass ejection hits Earth I feel manic, it's strange. Sounds like bullshit but global suicide rates spike along with solar activity that hits Earth. There is a connection there that we have not figured out yet) and that always puts my brain into hyperassociative mode where I start drawing novel connections between things...

...anyway, saw two articles next to each other on my news feed -- first one was about a newly detected astronomical radio signal from a distant galaxy. Radio signals from planets more than few thousand light years away from Earth, of course, are deemed unlikely to have been sent by any extraterrestrial civilizations, due to the fact that the light from our planet wouldn't have travelled far enough yet for distant ETs to see us and send a response.

But then the next article was about simulation theory.

An advanced civilization, capable of simulating a universe, WOULD potentially have been able to glean the location of Earth and the existence of humans just by analyzing their simulated data. A far enough away and ancient enough civilization COULD have knowingly and deliberately sent a signal to us before we even evolved out of the primordial soup, and it could just now be arriving!

If the beings in our universe truly have free will tho, this is complicated by the same sorts of chaos theory trappings that exist in many time travel theories / stories. You might be able to simulate the universe to a point, but once you start getting knowledge about future events from that simulation, you start being able to alter the course of events. Which wouldn't be a problem in a universe where a singular civilization has such technology. But as soon as multiple civilisations are in that "game," it starts to be impossible to fully predict what those other civilizations will do to alter the future that the original civilization thought they had accurately simulated.

🤔

• 1Picard

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
An advanced civilization, capable of simulating a universe, WOULD potentially have been able to glean the location of Earth and the existence of humans just by analyzing their simulated data. A far enough away and ancient enough civilization COULD have knowingly and deliberately sent a signal to us before we even evolved out of the primordial soup, and it could just now be arriving!
This would be like if someone dumped a 5 gallon bucket of 20 sided dice down a steep road, then went to one of the alleys a few dice rolled down, predicted the configuration of the dice in the bucket and the surface of the roadway based on the values their dice rolled and then used that to guess the values of the dice a few streets over.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This would be like if someone dumped a 5 gallon bucket of 20 sided dice down a steep road, then went to one of the alleys a few dice rolled down, predicted the configuration of the dice in the bucket and the surface of the roadway based on the values their dice rolled and a polaroid of the current configuration and then used that to guess the values of the dice a few streets over.
A civilization that can build a computer powerful enough to simulate a universe could build several additional supercomputers to autonomously analyze the data. And they could have hundreds of thousands of years to do it in. Look at all we've done with computers in the past 50 years even I mean shit.

• 1Picard

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A civilization that can build a computer powerful enough to simulate a universe could build several additional supercomputers to autonomously analyze the data. And they could have hundreds of thousands of years to do it in. Look at all we've done with computers in the past 50 years even I mean shit.
Another version of your theory that's more feasible: some advanced civilization figures out that we live in a simulation and then figures out that everything follows predictable fractals or patterns or whatever, or something, and uses that to figure out where all the other civilizations are. This is actually how you can find nether fotresses.

That's less focused on a "they built their own simulation and used it to predict our universe" though.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Another version of your theory that's more feasible: some advanced civilization figures out that we live in a simulation and then figures out that everything follows predictable fractals or patterns or whatever, or something, and uses that to figure out where all the other civilizations are. This is actually how you can find nether fotresses.

That's less focused on a "they built their own simulation and used it to predict our universe" though.
Um.

You literally just restated simulation theory in different words and pretended you came up with it...

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Nick Bostrom's foundational paper on the simulation hypothesis proposes his point by demonstrating that there would be several nested layers of simulations. Any simulation in our universe is likely contained inside a simulation in a higher level universe.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Maybe more of a shower thought / suited for science fiction but eh, heady stuff still.

Feeling a little manic today (every time a coronal mass ejection hits Earth I feel manic, it's strange. Sounds like bullshit but global suicide rates spike along with solar activity that hits Earth. There is a connection there that we have not figured out yet) and that always puts my brain into hyperassociative mode where I start drawing novel connections between things...

...anyway, saw two articles next to each other on my news feed -- first one was about a newly detected astronomical radio signal from a distant galaxy. Radio signals from planets more than few thousand light years away from Earth, of course, are deemed unlikely to have been sent by any extraterrestrial civilizations, due to the fact that the light from our planet wouldn't have travelled far enough yet for distant ETs to see us and send a response.

But then the next article was about simulation theory.

If the beings in our universe truly have free will tho, this is complicated by the same sorts of chaos theory trappings that exist in many time travel theories / stories. You might be able to simulate the universe to a point, but once you start getting knowledge about future events from that simulation, you start being able to alter the course of events. Which wouldn't be a problem in a universe where a singular civilization has such technology. But as soon as multiple civilisations are in that "game," it starts to be impossible to fully predict what those other civilizations will do to alter the future that the original civilization thought they had accurately simulated.

🤔
Why aren't you wearing silver lined clothes bro? Or a few magnetic field items (bracelet, anklet) to help shield yourself from that shit. Same thing happens to me. Use a silver weave in a ball cap or beanie hat that literally blocks that shit out and keeps you level. Total game changer. Unless you're down with wandering around in a faraday cage suit...

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
What?

Anyway, another version of your idea is psychohistory, which you might have read the Foundation books. Foundation series - Wikipedia
Nick Bostrom's foundational paper on the simulation hypothesis proposes his point by demonstrating that there would be several nested layers of simulations. Any simulation in our universe is likely contained inside a simulation in a higher level universe. Saying "wait what if WE WERE SIMULATING A SIMULATION?" is in no way shape or form a novel addition to the theory.