The Astronomy Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Sun doing crazy shit:

God's getting ready, brewing up the inferno to blast the Earth with another another Carrington event (but bigger) and knock down the new Tower of Babel. ;) Hope you guys own a modern physical encyclopedia.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
A Starlink sat was expected to cross into their FOV, this wasn't the view of it they expected to see.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Not sure if it was an anomaly or intentional, but it was certainly the Starlink they were expecting to see. Just in more pieces than they expected.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if it was an anomaly or intentional, but it was certainly the Starlink they were expecting to see. Just in more pieces than they expected.

Based on how much solar activity has been hitting Earth I bet it was unintentional

We are in the middle of the first major cycle of solar activity since the beginning of the mass commercial satellite age essentially.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
  • 3Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The more they look the more the big bang idea unravels. Universe is way older than 14.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Based on how much solar activity has been hitting Earth I bet it was unintentional

We are in the middle of the first major cycle of solar activity since the beginning of the mass commercial satellite age essentially.
After rereading this claim of mine I questioned myself. So I looked up some stats.

Ten years ago there were a little over 1,000 satellites in space. Now there's a little over 7,000. And you have people like Musk sending them up who are likely cutting corners (Starlink is about a robust network, not individual robust satellites, y'know?). As this current period of heightened solar activity continues (the sun has 11-year cycles remember) expect to see more shenanigans with commercial satellites failing.

Solar_Cycle_25_prediction_and_progression.png

Note that it's already been a "stronger" cycle than predicted.

Hopefully nothing like this happens again:

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
After rereading this claim of mine I questioned myself. So I looked up some stats.

Ten years ago there were a little over 1,000 satellites in space. Now there's a little over 7,000. And you have people like Musk sending them up who are likely cutting corners (Starlink is about a robust network, not individual robust satellites, y'know?). As this current period of heightened solar activity continues (the sun has 11-year cycles remember) expect to see more shenanigans with commercial satellites failing.

View attachment 460311

Note that it's already been a "stronger" cycle than predicted.

Hopefully nothing like this happens again:

The comforting thing about Starlink satellites is that they have a ~5 year orbital lifespan. So if a massive disaster happened creating a Kessler syndrome that made those low earth orbit altitudes a nightmare, I think ? it'd work itself out in a few years. Then again I don't know what kind of velocities would be imparted from the collision that might boost the orbital lifespan. It's intuitive to think that any collisions would decrease the orbital lifespan of the mass, but I don't know.

I do think humans will have to go through at least one massive disaster causing a Kessler syndrome before there is enough political weight to prevent future events.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It's intuitive to think that any collisions would decrease the orbital lifespan of the mass, but I don't know.
Depends on the nature of the collision, but in general you're right. If something manages to come up from behind you from roughly along your same trajectory, it will increase your angular momentum. Such collisions would be the exception tho.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Depends on the nature of the collision, but in general you're right. If something manages to come up from behind you from roughly along your same trajectory, it will increase your angular momentum. Such collisions would be the exception tho.
Yeah, agreed. I don't know how common it is for high earth orbit satellites to have ellipictal orbits that intersect with Starlink, but if they did that orbital mass could displace into high earth orbit if a starlink keppler syndrome btfo'd anything that descended into LEO with enough velocity to exit LEO.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yeah, agreed. I don't know how common it is for high earth orbit satellites to have ellipictal orbits that intersect with Starlink, but if they did that orbital mass could displace into high earth orbit if a starlink keppler syndrome btfo'd anything that descended into LEO with enough velocity to exit LEO.

Starlink satellites are about 550km altitude and high earth orbit are at 42,000km. I think it's ok.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I had to ponder about it a bit more but also debris cast off from explosions, either from midair collisions or electromagnetic radiation causing fatal power supply malfunctions, could end up colliding with other objects and even boost their altitude.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The Everyday Astronaut guy from YouTube was just on Lex Fridman's podcast and he said that the Kessler Syndrome would make the low earth orbit altitudes unusable for 5-10 years but it would eventually clear out but GPS and geosynchronous satellites wouldn't be affected.

• 3Like

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My apologies if this has been linked before but it's a high quality documentary that explores a bunch of near by exoplanets.

• 3Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My apologies if this has been linked before but it's a high quality documentary that explores a bunch of near by exoplanets.

That melodysheep channel is fantastic, everyone should watch as many of their videos as you can.

• 1Like