The Astronomy Thread

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
3 engines didn't work, wish it had separated. but the goal today was...liftoff the rest was gravy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
3 raptors failed ignition. They could lose only 2 and during flight 5 failed with a 6th being restarted in flight.
It never got altitude to separate so it appears they intentionally caused a stress test which is passed doing flips then initiated FTS blowing it up intentionally.

Complete success for a first test. TONS of data.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I cringe at the expense of progress. Nice to see that it did manage its primary goal of lift off, but the cost of just that goal is numbing.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
SpaceX said prior to launch that clearing the tower was considered success. It's all about data. They will launch many more rapidly. All expected to be total losses no matter how well they do. Once that is ironed out, start landing progress. Once that is done. Future!

NOTHING has been launched with that much power before, anyplace anywhere anytime.

Oldbased

> Than U
Had to cut this photo quality down way too much. This is 2023.

Attachments

• foh.jpg
    foh.jpg
    828.6 KB · Views: 25

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You could see early on something wasn't right, the flame trail wasn't smooth and you could see a few flareups here and there.

This different angle of the launch shows it better

Also, it made a hole in the ground under the launch tower.

1682002503637.png

• 5Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My cousin who wrote the engine control software says, "I have never seen anything like that before! I'll let you know more when I know what happened, but for now all I know is that my software got one heck of a workout, and we set the all time record for most end to end flips before kaboom!"

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My cousin who wrote the engine control software says, "I have never seen anything like that before! I'll let you know more when I know what happened, but for now all I know is that my software got one heck of a workout, and we set the all time record for most end to end flips before kaboom!"
I wonder what kind of stresses were applied to the structure during the flips and whether the kaboom was an intentional detonation or result of structural instability from being spun around. I also wonder if absorbing that kind of stress for that long would be feasible in a traditional aluminum structure instead of the steel used for super heavy.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I wonder what kind of stresses were applied to the structure during the flips and whether the kaboom was an intentional detonation or result of structural instability from being spun around. I also wonder if absorbing that kind of stress for that long would be feasible in a traditional aluminum structure instead of the steel used for super heavy.
Self-destruct was called by the range safety officer once it was very clear they couldn't regain control.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm just a layman but doesn't it seem weird to build so much stuff that gets BTFO during launch? If you're launching these things every few days, how can those nearby structures not get distintegrated?

74x793c.png

1682005044782.png