The Astronomy Thread

Cybsled

Rick: do you have any type of paperwork?
Seller: here is a video as provenance, the expert clearly said this is worth something to collectors
Rick: Best I can do is $100

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Rick: do you have any type of paperwork?
Seller: here is a video as provenance, the expert clearly said this is worth something to collectors
Rick: Best I can do is $100
Yeah.

I gotta imagine there is so much SpaceX garbage for Starship / Super Heavy booster that anything out there right now will probably of limited value. Even parts of the Starship / booster itself. The boosters that participate in Artemis missions could get $$$. But some rando car damaged in a flight test? probably not worth storing.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe someday sell it to a museum rather than a private collector? First ever Starship test and it was a failure, one of the more notable Space X launches ever even if it didn't succeed.

Oldbased

> Than U
It wasn't a failure though. It was a mission success.
Some confusion on the mission variables set prior to launch.
Some say to get to t-0 and full ignition, others say clearing the tower.
If those are set prior to liftoff and completed it is 100% what SpaceX deemed a success. Not what CNN tells people.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I saw that the New York Times is very concerned that a bunch of dirt fell on the "delicate ecosystem" at Boca Chica. Sounds like the new Deepwater Horizon.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe someday sell it to a museum rather than a private collector? First ever Starship test and it was a failure, one of the more notable Space X launches ever even if it didn't succeed.

not a failure at all, stop letting the media trick you

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
very good point that you're not going to have flame diversion/water suppression on mars/moon when you go to take back off

True, but gravity is ~1/3 on Mars and 1/6 on the Moon. They won't need nearly as much thrust. A pad is likely to suffice there.

• 1Truth!

Oldbased

> Than U
The fact that they set various bars for what is considered a success is eh. They were still crossing their fingers for a full success.
Media in 5 years.
The fact SpaceX reached Mars and landed is eh. They still could have made it to Jupiter.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
True, but gravity is ~1/3 on Mars and 1/6 on the Moon. They won't need nearly as much thrust. A pad is likely to suffice there.

Ya true, I assume they send a pad deployment package early for the rocket to land and take off from? Not sure the logistics of this, seems fricken heavy, but also not sure how you land/takeoff on martial soil w/o fucking all your shit up.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Ya true, I assume they send a pad deployment package early for the rocket to land and take off from? Not sure the logistics of this, seems fricken heavy, but also not sure how you land/takeoff on martial soil w/o fucking all your shit up.
Many one way missions with robots. Those that don't land properly can be scuttled by the ones that do. A lot of infrastructure will need to be built before a return mission, I imagine.

• 1Like

Cybsled

If they went to the moon/Mars, only the Starship part would be lifting off, not the heavy stage they had on this one

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
If they went to the moon/Mars, only the Starship part would be lifting off, not the heavy stage they had on this one

that makes sense - and then you got all those boosters just waiting there for when you get your infrastructure built out in a decade or two

Cybsled

Their current Mars plan is to basically launch a bunch of Starships to Mars, have them land, and for them to serve as supply depots and infrastructure bases. Ideally, you would also start generating methane fuel as well. Then the manned Starship would arrive and you'd have a bunch of supplies and infrastructure ready to go

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
1682144844130.png

• 5Mother of God
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
very good point that you're not going to have flame diversion/water suppression on mars/moon when you go to take back off
At the same time, you have 1/3rd or 1/6th of the gravity, so you can get away with less thrust.

• 1Repost

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
Many one way missions with robots. Those that don't land properly can be scuttled by the ones that do. A lot of infrastructure will need to be built before a return mission, I imagine.
If they send the first missions with robots the most likely out come is the robots on Mars say "Fuck you humans, stay away. You have ruined your own lands, you won't ruin mine".