The Astronomy Thread

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
All the failures from the NASA were meticulously hidden so the URSS couldn't use it as a propaganda tool, but now we have lots of videos of their test. Wasn't it Aldrin that almost died during one of these tests ?

Oldbased

> Than U
For Real Hat GIF by SportsManias

lol, I'm probably as old as you.
Only trees are as old as me

Oldbased

> Than U
Another angle.
When you look at it at the car sized chunks of concrete launching 300 feet into the air at 14 seconds and the damage it clearly did to some raptors, it is amazing it even took off.
One of the flight handlers was vaporized due to debris almost instantly and switched to backup. Amazing the strength and backup systems in place. Almost like when they had it spiraling and the internal view from booster to starship showed no movement or tension.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Another angle.
When you look at it at the car sized chunks of concrete launching 300 feet into the air at 14 seconds and the damage it clearly did to some raptors, it is amazing it even took off.
One of the flight handlers was vaporized due to debris almost instantly and switched to backup. Amazing the strength and backup systems in place. Almost like when they had it spiraling and the internal view from booster to starship showed no movement or tension.
If they executed that launch 100 times, I wonder in how many of those times it gets blown up before it clears the launch tower. There are absolutely massive forces at play, but it seems like all the forces would push the debris away from the launch vehicle.

It's too bad they blew it up in near-orbit. Would've been interesting to collect it intact and then see what the underside looked like and how much it looked like it'd been used for target practice for years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
If they executed that launch 100 times, I wonder in how many of those times it gets blown up before it clears the launch tower. There are absolutely massive forces at play, but it seems like all the forces would push the debris away from the launch vehicle.

It's too bad they blew it up in near-orbit. Would've been interesting to collect it intact and then see what the underside looked like and how much it looked like it'd been used for target practice for years.
They never planned to collect it intact. It was to be scuttled at sea.
The only plan was to if possible retrieve the flight recorders.

As for the outward blast, think of the orbital launch tower as a basketball hoop but the ball coming from underside. Concrete lifts under force, pings side, goes into a few raptors/flight launch system.

Important to remember a few things.
They knew the risks back in 2020 but held off cause EPA was saying up to a year+ delay.
Opted to skip it, delayed 3 years for EPA anyways! Go GOV!
They were making a system to deal with the damage, wasn't completed in time, waited years ready to go and said F it.
Had only static fired all those raptors ONCE at half power. Thought it would be ok with some damage. Wrong.

Hard to really pin it on SpaceX given all that, the goal was 1000% to launch it. All the other steps was bonus.
Still media ran instantly with liberals chiming in on the "failure" of lifting off the most powerful force launch the world has ever seen.
Haha!

Side note- I have added pharmakos pharmakos to Lib watch based on his questionable media sources and insights as well as the fact Mudcrush liked his post.
He may never regain his Trump status after this blunder of slipups.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

They are now classing this as a G3
It's funny reading tables like this, then going back and reading the stuff published from electrical companies saying "oh yeah we are totally ready if another Carrington Event occurs, don't even worry!"

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I think some of these "too old" super distant galaxies that JWST is seeing are actually explainable if we assume that the universe is rotating. Then Godel's relativity solutions that allow for relativistic "time travel" when following super long curves become possible. Which would mean that JWST could be looking at light that reached us along one of those strange curves, and "time travelled" so to speak, along one of these "closed timelike curves."

Possible evidence Godel was right:

I don't see any way to explain this particular asymmetry other than to assume the universe is rotating, and that the tetrahedral galaxy arrangements favor the direction of the spin. All the other known "parity violations" in physics are on the microscopic scale. And any of those (say, the weak force) would have caused other asymmetries at the scales in between. So obviously it's something on the macroscopic / macrocosmic level that caused this particular asymmetry.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
That article linked above about the rotating universe made me wonder what is going through the heads of people who fantasize a lot about going back in time. As a historian, I'd just like to see how things were back in the day, settle some issues such as how (and when) the Pyramids were built and such. Bet there are a few who'd want to go back and fuck their grandmother and become their own grandfather though.

But to other issues, if one of the "civilian" astronauts selected to fly past the Moon (whenever that's supposed to be) has to back out and you are invited in. But you're also told that there's a chance the rocket could go "boom" with you in it, what would be the maximum % likelyhood you'd accept? For me, I'd say about 10% and I'd risk it. Above that and I think I would just stay home and watch the show. But then again, I consider myself pretty risk-averse.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That article linked above about the rotating universe made me wonder what is going through the heads of people who fantasize a lot about going back in time. As a historian, I'd just like to see how things were back in the day, settle some issues such as how (and when) the Pyramids were built and such. Bet there are a few who'd want to go back and fuck their grandmother and become their own grandfather though.

But to other issues, if one of the "civilian" astronauts selected to fly past the Moon (whenever that's supposed to be) has to back out and you are invited in. But you're also told that there's a chance the rocket could go "boom" with you in it, what would be the maximum % likelyhood you'd accept? For me, I'd say about 10% and I'd risk it. Above that and I think I would just stay home and watch the show. But then again, I consider myself pretty risk-averse.
For me it's about 0%. Going to space sounds miserable and I'd rather someone more useful do it, even a civilian who contributes nothing to mission.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For me it's about 0%. Going to space sounds miserable and I'd rather someone more useful do it, even a civilian who contributes nothing to mission.
I did the "orange" version of Mission to Mars at Epcot once. That centrifuge ride was balls squared. Im too old for that shit.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looks like it died. When it was landing it appeared like it was coming down right on an elevation change line. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Cybsled

I did the "orange" version of Mission to Mars at Epcot once. That centrifuge ride was balls squared. Im too old for that shit.

The orange version with the centrifuge is the only version worth doing. I would highly recommend against doing it 4 times in a row and then trying to eat lunch, though lol

• 1Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The orange version with the centrifuge is the only version worth doing. I would highly recommend against doing it 4 times in a row and then trying to eat lunch, though lol
Action rides get a lot harder as I age. I used to love chain-riding the Hulk when I was younger. I road it once a few years ago and barely survived without puking. Aging sucks.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Action rides get a lot harder as I age. I used to love chain-riding the Hulk when I was younger. I road it once a few years ago and barely survived without puking. Aging sucks.

I used to be completely immune to motion sickness. Amusement park rides, reading in cars, seasickness, never even felt a quiver. This weekend my 8 year old daughter spun me for a single 360 on some playground fixture and I thought I was going to lose breakfast. Wtf.

• 1Solidarity