The Astronomy Thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No way. Retard environmentalists gonna protest that thing to death if it somehow makes it past budget discussions.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Does the 90 days include the melt through? It still has to get down to the water ;p

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Does the 90 days include the melt through? It still has to get down to the water ;p
This isnt europa. Titan's lake is on the surface. Likely it would be a test bed for europa though.

Either way, extremely cool.

Brad2770

This is exciting news, but I would be more excited if they were to visit Europa's Ocean. I'm thinking some primitive life would be found there. Maybe some prehistoric looking fish. What do you guys think?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This is exciting news, but I would be more excited if they were to visit Europa's Ocean. I'm thinking some primitive life would be found there. Maybe some prehistoric looking fish. What do you guys think?
The chances of life on Europa are quite low. If there is life, it will be -extremely- simplistic. The radiation of gas giants is too high to allow complex creatures to evolve.

Titan has a slightly higher chance, but I'd still consider it pretty low. If we're looking for life in the solar system, mars is our best chance by far. That said, there is a lot of cool stuff we could learn about titan, and absysmally low chances certainly don't mean no chance at finding life.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ugh, brain is tired. Titan wouldn't even be water lakes ;p
Correct. The whole planet is extremely cold. That said, we've learned enough about life to figure out it doesn't need heat light or much water to exist, these things just make it much easier.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
don't need to find fish for it to be significant though. Even if we find single celled organisms if they have some way to analyze them and show they evolved completely separately from how life on Earth evolved it would be a massive finding.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'm still curious about the whole "left handed" amino acids thing. All explanations are still floating on thin ice. Seems like whatever we find would help us figure that.

iannis

Musty Nester
Left handed amino acids? I'm ignorant.

I know what chirality is, but did someone actually find some?

That's how one of those sugar substitues works, isn't it? A left handed sugar?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm still curious about the whole "left handed" amino acids thing. All explanations are still floating on thin ice. Seems like whatever we find would help us figure that.
The left handed chirality of life is similar to the question of why matter won over anti matter. In theory, there should be equal amounts of both, and anti-matter worlds could exist in just as coherent a form as matter worlds.... but this isn't true.

The most likely cause of this discrepency is our understanding of science is simply wrong.

iannis

Musty Nester
On the part of chirality in organic compounds I remember it being explained that our sample size is small and it's been so many billions of generations that it's entirely possible our sample has just been homogenized. Why are cho's entirely (not predominately) one handed? Because they are. Because somewhere down the line near the very first living cell that's just how it happened and there has never been any needful incentive to change it, it being a mainly arbitrary characteristic.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Yeah basically if you've got an ecosystem where the majority of creatures' amino acids/proteins are L-chirality (and sugars are D-) then having the opposite is a drawback - you can't eat most of the potential food around you (well you can, but you'll get no benefit from it) and the potential upside (if they eat you they're technically still hungry) is outweighed by the simple fact that they can then turn around and the next thing they eat is likely to be L-amino/D-sugaranywaystatistically.

You'd only need a slight imbalance to begin with (entirely likely to happen by pure blind chance) and selection would take care of the rest. It's just random that life ended up with the chiralities it did but now it's like this, it's not going to change.

Here, anyway.
smile.png

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Nemesis or whatever? Still, it was 70k years ago and just a dinky red+brown dwarf.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Okay, so first one now a second, what exactly are the bright spots on Ceres? Volcano, aliens, what?

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Jesus Christ I'm furious. I'm hanging out at my girlfriends house and talking about her 8 year old sons schooling. He goes to a private catholic school and is learning about Venus. They procede to tell me that Venus has plant life. To which I laugh and say wtf, that's not even close to the truth. So I ask why they say that and they show a book that the school gave him and he is studying out of, which is a 1990 book of Isaac Asimov, Venus a shrouded mystery which says ," some scientists and and many science fiction writers, pictured Mars as an old planet, looking like earth might in the distant future. They also thought of Venus as a young planet, and imagined that it looked a lot like earth in its prehistoric past, in the age of dinosaurs. They pictured Venus as a tropical world with warm oceans and lots of plant and animal life. Since Venus is about the same size as earth, many people looked upon it as earths twin." End of text.

Below this quote is a drawing with a river and plants growing around it. How the fuck can they be giving this book to kids in 2015. I'm so fucking mad right now I can't see straight. So then I get into an argument with her son about how this a wrong and there is no evidence that there was ever life on Venus. He then thinks I'm an idiot because it says so right there in his school book. I try to tell him that they're just saying people thought that it might have plant life at one point and we've learned it's not true since the. but it falls on deaf ears.

This is fucking ridiculous that this is what they're giving kids to learn out of.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Jesus Christ I'm furious. I'm hanging out at my girlfriends house and talking about her 8 year old sons schooling. He goes to a private catholic school and is learning about Venus. They procede to tell me that Venus has plant life. To which I laugh and say wtf, that's not even close to the truth. So I ask why they say that and they show a book that the school gave him and he is studying out of, which is a 1990 book of Isaac Asimov, Venus a shrouded mystery which says ," some scientists and and many science fiction writers, pictured Mars as an old planet, looking like earth might in the distant future. They also thought of Venus as a young planet, and imagined that it looked a lot like earth in its prehistoric past, in the age of dinosaurs. They pictured Venus as a tropical world with warm oceans and lots of plant and animal life. Since Venus is about the same size as earth, many people looked upon it as earths twin." End of text.

Below this quote is a drawing with a river and plants growing around it. How the fuck can they be giving this book to kids in 2015. I'm so fucking mad right now I can't see straight. So then I get into an argument with her son about how this a wrong and there is no evidence that there was ever life on Venus. He then thinks I'm an idiot because it says so right there in his school book. I try to tell him that they're just saying people thought that it might have plant life at one point and we've learned it's not true since the. but it falls on deaf ears.

This is fucking ridiculous that this is what they're giving kids to learn out of.
Show him some of Fedors pics and say see pretty girls, then have him click the spoiler tag, then tell him that's what his book is like.