The Astronomy Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
Not only salt water oceans ten times greater in volume than all of earth's combined, but electrically charged ones.

Think of the size of those eels!

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wait... so does every fucking big moon except ours have water and partial life giving conditions? xD

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Maybe we're on the moon? Like the survivors of the original planet that destroyed itself. Some sort of skynet Battlestar Galactica scenario.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well that and the other big moons all orbit gas giants.

I don't think Mercury has a moon. Venus has no moon. Maybe it had one at some point and it crashed into the planet, hence why Venus turns so slowly. Mars has 2, but they're not much bigger than asteroids. They probably were asteroids.

And then you get into an entirely different kind of planet.

I think the more exceptional thing is that we have a moon at all, rather than our moon is a big dry ball of rock.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Not just a moon, but one so large compared to it's planet and the size of earth's core which influences the magnetic field. Kind of crazy when you think about it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Well that and the other big moons all orbit gas giants.

I don't think Mercury has a moon. Venus has no moon. Maybe it had one at some point and it crashed into the planet, hence why Venus turns so slowly. Mars has 2, but they're not much bigger than asteroids. They probably were asteroids.

And then you get into an entirely different kind of planet.

I think the more exceptional thing is that we have a moon at all, rather than our moon is a big dry ball of rock.
Tidal locking is a force that slows the rotation of objects that orbit each other, and gets stronger the closer those objects are together, and the more irregular their shape is. Venus turning slowly is far more natural than earth's high spin speed. Given an infinite amount of time, earth will eventually have the same side always facing the sun, much akin to the moon always having the same side facing us.

spronk

FPS noob
I thought this pic from this article was fantastic. Makes me wanna replay mass effect

The Milky Way May Be More Enormous Than We Ever Imagined

o-MILKY-WAY-900.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
Tidal locking is a force that slows the rotation of objects that orbit each other, and gets stronger the closer those objects are together, and the more irregular their shape is. Venus turning slowly is far more natural than earth's high spin speed. Given an infinite amount of time, earth will eventually have the same side always facing the sun, much akin to the moon always having the same side facing us.
Yeah, but I thought the math was that even accounting for tidal locking Venus still is turning much more slowly than it should if you assume a similar spin to even mars.

Of course, maybe the initial ball of rocks just didn't have a whole lot of spin to it.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
About a month ago I read a few articles written by Randall Carlson about how the legend of the Fisher King is basically a warning about comets and meteorite impacts and one of the symbols used in the narrative is "a white lance dripping blood" which is supposed to represent a falling meteor or shooting star (the TLDR version of the legend is in spoiler tags below). Lo and behold, this shows up in my newsfeed over the weekend. Kinda neat, imo.

Photo taken Sunday night (3/15/2015) in Scotland.
rrr_img_93107.jpg

The poem commences with the story of young man living in the wild forests of Wales with his widowed mother. Initially in the story we do not know that this boys name, only later, as the story progresses do we learn that his name is Perceval. His father had been a great knight who was killed in battle, so his mother, not wanting him to follow in his father's footsteps, raises him in the wilderness without knowledge of his heritage.

One day, while out hunting with his javelins, he encounters five knights and is so taken with them that he resolves, against his mothers wishes, to follow them to King Arthur's court and there seek admission to train as a knight. This he does and eventually proves himself by defeating the Red Knight, who had stolen a chalice from King Arthur and shamed the Queen at the same time. After a period of training at Arthur's court Perceval rides out in search of adventure. He apprentices under an elderly, skilled knight named Gonemans who admonishes him to be temperate in all things including in his speech and discourse. Upon leaving the old knight Perceval encounters two fishermen in a boat and is directed to a nearby castle where he may obtain succor and lodging. It is in this castle that the vision of the Grail unfolds before his awestruck eyes. When he first arrives he is led into a vast hall whereupon a squire presents him with a sword and he is told that it is given "to whom it was adjudged and destined." Upon the sword it is written that it will never break except in "sore peril." In the hall, seated upon a couch is an old man. As Perceval reclines another squire enters the hall bearing a white lance from which blood drips. Two more squires enter carrying two-branched candlesticks. They are followed by a beautiful damsel bearing the "graal" which shines with such a brilliant light it overwhelms the light of the candles "as the sun does that of the stars" and is so dazzling Perceval cannot even look directly at it. Finally follows another damsel bearing a beautiful, richly jeweled silver platter. During this "procession of the Grail" Perceval is wonderstruck and desirous of understanding what it all means but, remembering the admonition of Gonemans, he does not speak, nor ask any question regarding the resplendent vision.

In the morning Perceval awakens to find the castle utterly deserted. As he departs across the open drawbridge it suddenly closes almost crushing him and his horse. Once outside the castle he has an encounter with a mysterious damsel in the forest. She tells him that the old man on the couch, the host, was actually the fisherman who first directed him to the castle and that he was a king. (bearer of royal blood) She tells Percival that the king had been wounded through the thighs by the lance and the wounds had not healed. She asks him if he witnessed the procession- the sword, the bleeding lance, the 'graal', the silver platter-and if he asked concerning the meaning of what he saw. When she finds out the Perceval remained silent she drops a bombshell on him. She informs him that had he opened his mouth and asked after the meaning of the grail procession, that the fisherman who was a king, would have been healed of his injuries.

After further wanderings Percival encounters another damsel, only this time she is hideously repulsive. She curses him for not asking after the meaning of the lance and the grail and tells him that because of his silence the king still suffers, strife and conflict prevails and the very land itself is degenerating. Perceval vows to find the grail and redeem himself to which end he subsequently wanders for five years. As he does so the curse settles over the land, transforming it into a wasteland, and only if Perceval is successful in his quest to recover the lost Grail will the curse be lifted, the king healed, the land restored and peace and harmony prevail.

So unfolds one version of this complex and remarkable story. I have already exceeded my allotted space so allow me to interrupt the narrative until next month, when I shall continue unveiling the deep mysteries behind this extraordinary symbolism. Until then, for you serious students of Esoterica, note that the items of the Grail procession correspond to the 4 suits of the Tarot cards, the four instruments of the Magus and the four elements of Alchemy. Consider that in each case they carry parallel and complementary meanings. Contemplate on the connection of all this to the blood royal. And ponder deeply on the meaning of the white lance dripping blood, the jewel encrusted platter and a Holy Grail too brilliant to look at.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I think we will be tidally locked to the moon, not the sun, given enough time and assuming we are not swallowed up by the red giant.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This kind of thing makes me wonder how much other fundamental shit we have no idea about.
Sometimes it's not complete ignorance but just lack of perspective. We can't see the Milky Way from the outside. Similar to NDT's presentation about pics of the Earth before and after Apollo 8 ... all the ones before had no clouds in them because for whatever reason we imagined them to be inconsequential or they just did not appear in our frame of reference. The beauty being you can be aware/intelligent and still miss fundamental pieces and perspective so there's always something new to be learned.

Unless you read the Bible, of course.

iannis

Musty Nester
What's surprising to me is that no one has done a big study about the density of light in the neighborhood before now and noticed cocentric rings.

But actually, I guess it isn't THAT surprising. I'm still young enough to take shit like the Hubble absolutely for granted. Without a lot of hours on a major telescope and a supercomputer, I suppose that sort of study is literally a lifes work.

Straight up neat.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If waves were in our galaxy, wouldn't we be able to see the waves in neighboring galaxies?