Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Am I the only one bothered by a gigantic hole in our sun?
It does look terrifying, but the sun's magnetic field and the anatomy of a star is a bit terrifying, in general.

The solar maximum is almost upon us, when the sun flips it's poles:

This shows what visible light pictures look like verses UV light pictures, for the same amount of time:

and finally, here is UV time lapse of the sun in 4k, set to an instrumental track:

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Interesting - don't think I've heard of an asteroid eclipse before. At least it would be super easy to know where to look

Definitely a cool thing to see, it will only be visible in a tiny band though.

1702106360386.png

On a related note, on 8 april next year there will be a total solar eclipse visible in the US, if you're at all interested in seeing it I would make an effort since there won't be another one visible in the US for 20 years, and you can see it from parts of the country that don't have a high chance of being cloudy.

1702107173995.png

• 1Like

Cybsled

I really want to see that one, but I'm convinced it is going to be overcast as fuck on that day since every major astronomical event always seems to fall on a day where the sky is completely full of thick clouds

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mentioned it before, but we flew out from California to southern Illinois for the last one. It's I think the only place where both will have been visible. Totally, 100% worth it, even if it only lasts a brief moment. We'll definitely be there for the one next year. Helps that my wife's family all live there.

It's definitely one of those once in a lifetime type events that you'll never forget.

• 2Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
On a related note, on 8 april next year there will be a total solar eclipse visible in the US, if you're at all interested in seeing it I would make an effort since there won't be another one visible in the US for 20 years, and you can see it from parts of the country that don't have a high chance of being cloudy.
I mentioned it before, but we flew out from California to southern Illinois for the last one. It's I think the only place where both will have been visible. Totally, 100% worth it, even if it only lasts a brief moment. We'll definitely be there for the one next year. Helps that my wife's family all live there.

It's definitely one of those once in a lifetime type events that you'll never forget.

I went to Sun Valley, Idaho for the last one and am going to Indianapolis this time. Spending a few days with the kids in Chicago with family first, so not a huge loss if it's cloudy. The 2017 totality was easily the amazing natural event I've ever experienced. I strongly recommend anyone interested make the effort. 100% worth it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Yikes. Should someone tell him…

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I wonder if Elon doesn't send SpaceX to the moon specifically out of fear he finds no evidence NASA actually went there back in the 60s.

Unless you think the Indians are in on the gag, their lunar orbiter from a few years ago already took pics good enough to resolve the Apollo lander.

1702858893722.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if Elon doesn't send SpaceX to the moon specifically out of fear he finds no evidence NASA actually went there back in the 60s.
I do wonder if he knows the truth. It’s probably just easiest to avoid the moon question and focus on mars. Not like you’d be able to colonize mars anyways like mars allegedly can be.
Unless you think the Indians are in on the gag, their lunar orbiter from a few years ago already took pics good enough to resolve the Apollo lander.

View attachment 504646
Oh neat. Space junk on the moon. What does this prove again? That we can land objects on the moon?..

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I do wonder if he knows the truth. It’s probably just easiest to avoid the moon question and focus on mars. Not like you’d be able to colonize mars anyways like mars allegedly can be.

Oh neat. Space junk on the moon. What does this prove again? That we can land objects on the moon?..
I don't think him going to the moon and finding out the landing was a lie really helps him. I'm sure just the threat of going there would be enough for leverage.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Such a bummer, SpaceX lost a booster that had landed on a drone ship to high seas/winds. Newer boosters are able to better handle that, but as this was it's 19th landing it's one of the older ones.

Why a bummer? It was the historic booster that had the NASA logo on the side from the Demo-2 flight, would have probably ended up in a museum or something, first time that logo was on a rocket since the 90s.

1703626195391.png

1703626211305.png

• 5Like
  • 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 6 users