The Astronomy Thread

khorum

Murder Apologist
It wasn't till very recently in 2012 that the IBEX mission proved that the heliosphere bowshock frontdoesn't existfor Sol, which is what that plasma wavefront is called. BUT there's still enough of a plasma wave to disperse the energy of 99% of all outgoing radio signals though.

And THAT was in 2012... 3 years AFTER aCornell team quantified the likelihood of radio transmissions of contemporary civilizations reaching each otherwithin cosmologically reasonable timeframes. Their conclusion was pretty damning for SETI even then:

Smith et al_sl said:
This paper develops a detailed quantitative model which uses the Drake equation and an assumption of an average maximum radio broadcasting distance by an communicative civilization to derive a minimum civilization density for contact between two civilizations to be probable in a given volume of space under certain conditions, the amount of time it would take for a first contact, and whether reciprocal contact is possible. Results show that under certain assumptions, a galaxy can be teeming with civilizations yet not have a guarantee of communication between any of them given either short lifetimes or small maximum distances for communication.
So given an "optimistic" non-anthropic evaluation of the Drake equation that comes out with 300 concurrent civilizations (which is extremely unlikely considering the Carter Catastrophe qualification), their USABLE radio traffic that escapes their star's bow wake would be extremely unlikely to reach other civilizations anyway. Because physics.

And remember, IBEX also notes that Sol is actually travelling far FAR slower than most main-sequence yellow stars of the same age---the vast majority of m-congruent stars WOULD have a bowshock front that diminishes radio transmissions even more.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I don't have any of the facts or science stuff, but ever since I heard about fields surrounding solar systems I've been curious whether they're affecting interstellar communication.

khorum

Murder Apologist
That's the thing. The most earth-like exoplanet we've found so far isKepler-62f....

...and it's 1,200 light years away. The energy to send a coherent radio signal past the heliosphere's bow wave isn't crazy, but its way WAAAY more than the most powerful commercial transmission coming off Earth to date.

And most importantly, for them to hear it TODAY we would've had to transmit it back when Charlemagne was crowned the Holy Roman Emperor.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It wasn't till very recently in 2012 that the IBEX mission proved that the heliosphere bowshock frontdoesn't existfor Sol, which is what that plasma wavefront is called. BUT there's still enough of a plasma wave to disperse the energy of 99% of all outgoing radio signals though.

And THAT was in 2012... 3 years AFTER aCornell team quantified the likelihood of radio transmissions of contemporary civilizations reaching each otherwithin cosmologically reasonable timeframes. Their conclusion was pretty damning for SETI even then:

So given an "optimistic" non-anthropic evaluation of the Drake equation that comes out with 300 concurrent civilizations (which is extremely unlikely considering the Carter Catastrophe qualification), their USABLE radio traffic that escapes their star's bow wake would be extremely unlikely to reach other civilizations anyway. Because physics.

And remember, IBEX also notes that Sol is actually travelling far FAR slower than most main-sequence yellow stars of the same age---the vast majority of m-congruent stars WOULD have a bowshock front that diminishes radio transmissions even more.
Thats very interesting, never heard that before. So any incidental communications could be dispersed and only purposeful communication attempts might get through? And those might be far more rare than just incidental radio noise.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah hubble's caught some pretty awesome ones:

6a00d8341bf7f753ef016760a423df970b-pi

The heliosphere actually sheathes the star's system from interstellar stuff. Most folks assumed Sol had a plasma bow shock front since our neighboring stars did, butIBEX showed that we're moving much slower and we dont.

Szlia

1. Once mankind got to the point of starting our tech tree some 6-10 thousand years ago we've advanced dramatically to where we are now.
It's difficult to quantify "dramatic" without a point of comparison, but ok.

2. Any pace that keeps up with our current one will have us continuously populating the galaxy in the next million years.
This assumption is huge. We know that in human history the pace of discoveries varied dramatically for cultural reasons alone. We even know it went backward at times, so assuming this will no longer happen is in itself pretty big. That's not even touching the fact that we might hit knowledge walls or even physical walls that will prevent us from finding viable solutions to populate the galaxy.

3. There are 100 billion stars in the milky way.
Ok.

4. Even a very conservative estimation of how unlikely it is for an Earth-level inhabitable planet to exist would still result in many Earth like planets.
The article touches on the fact we are not sure how "earth-like" a planet must be to sustain life, but the range of biotopes on our planet alone tend to favor the idea that there is some wiggle room.

5. In a habitable planet, life has a chance of springing up over billions of years.
My understanding is that we can reasonably assume that, because life was found on earth in totally isolated biotopes, or something similar?

6. In planet with life, civilization has chance of springing up over billions of years.
We know there is a chance, because we know we exist, but we really have no way to quantify how big that chance is because we have a sample of one.

7. Once that planet establishes a civilization, it has a chance of colonizing the milky way.
Again, even assuming a civilization, even assuming that human civilization as we know it today could lead to colonizing the milky way, we have no way to quantify how likely it is for a civilization to follow that same path.

8. We have not seen any life colonizing the milky way, why not?
At the core of your assumptions, I feel there is the idea of a linear and continuous walk toward the better. The idea that today is better than yesterday and that tomorrow will be better than today and that, as such, whatever we can dream now will be a reality in the future, no matter how distant. When I see some of the theories in the linked article about the different types of civilizations and the graphs about the different steps and filters civilizations might have to go through, I feel they share that vision. I don't. For two simple reasons:

1) "Better" is not an universal notion. It is very much a cultural one. In the name of "better" men walked on the moon, but in the same name books were burned, knowledge forgotten, researches halted, political systems changed back and forth, etc. Civilizations are also well able to rise and fall from their own doing.

2) Predicting scientific progress (even if not hindered by cultural forces), is a perilous exercise, because while we are ingenious, reality does not care, so we depend on breakthroughs that might or might not happen. On top of that, we know there are things we can't know within the aseptic confines of our own mental constructions (I guess G?del killed my childhood dreams), so it seems more than a little presumptuous to think we (or anyone for that matter) can understand everything and solve all problems in our reality given enough time.

The other part of the argument is comparing a very big number of stars with a likeliness of the existence of Type II and above civilizations. The problem is that on one side of this comparison we have some material to make reasonably educated guesses, while on the other we really do not. And while the number of stars is indeed really really big, it is also a lot smaller than the number of legal chess games, so really, given the number of factors needed to reach Type II (if at all possible), it could very well be that the big number is just not big enough (and again, it's not touching the perennity - or lack of thereof - of a Type II and above civilization).

khorum

Murder Apologist
Neither really... I just mentioned it in response to that paper from 1993 which assumed (like everyone else did) that there we had a plasma bow shock front since alpha centauri and tau ceti does. I suppose it's good for SETI and the James Webb telescope guys, though.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
What if a civilization capable of traveling all across our galaxy has no longer a need for the concept of colonization.
We are currently stuck with the mindset that we need to continuously expand and grow to move forward.
A post scarcity civilization could have a stable population and with technology to traverse the galaxy its easy to imagine medical technology that would enable them to be immortal.
Why would they want to colonize anything past a certain number of planets or moons that would give them access to resources they need.
Maybe they would explore the galaxy just expand their knowledge but why would they want to build infrastructure on any new planet from scratch.

Even we are slowly starting to realize that perpetual growth is not sustainable.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Well it also seems like a sufficiently advanced civilization could translate the willing members of their civilization into a digital form and exist almost entirely virtually. The Matrix basically. So you could have an infinitely diverse and expanding civilization without actually dealing with the issues of relativistic delays in communication and the logistics of galactic resource exploitation. Just look at our own MMOs as an example. What if the majority of humanity "lived" there rather than meatspace, and multi-tasked their brainpower to collectively operate the meatspace element of our society. You could also handle much greater levels of acceleration if you did need to move the server for resource reasons (a billion years passes and the sun you're based around isn't as favorable anymore perhaps) as the hard/wetware would be built to withstand G forces in double digits.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah those are considered Kardashev-2 type civilizations. They'd live in dyson swarms or matrioshka brains, either way they'd live in some kind of post-biological closed loop collecting the total output of their star.

Thing is both are moribund, end-state malthusian dead-ends and they'd still be subject to outer bounds of the carter catastrophe. The carter equation figures the expansion of an civilization by whatever means, it just uses existing empirical data to asses the final bounds of the civilization growth (bayesian inference, like theGerman tank problem). We'd prolly be Kardashev-2s in 9,120 years too, then we all just kinda get bored and fuck off. Hell, some of the leading biologists today are saying some people alive today will live to 1,000.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I just googled the carter catastrophe, and that seems wildly implausible. It looks like mathematical wankery with no allowances for psychological development or physical transformations.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It's a probabilistic equation for predicting where the maximum bounds of a population is based on empirical data. Like the Drake Equation, you can tweak it if you like, but the bayesian inference behind it is just statistical math. If you adjust the median age to 1,000 years youd bump it up to 180k years like I mentioned earlier.

That particular branch of "mathematical wankery" has been around for decades and is used to accurately predict everything from quant fund algorithms that manage pension funds to how many tanks Israel makes in secret. In fact, in world war 2 we used it to accurately predict how many tanks the Nazis would have ready for D-Day, and it was off by 1. Nowadays it's basically the heart of control theory and runs everything from Amazon's warehouse stocking to google's self-driving cars.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
No, I accept it's a useful way to model things. I just don't think it applies to the growth of humanity. There are a handful of rebuttals listed on the wikipedia page related to how it predicts human population growth, many of which I sympathize with.

Brad2770

That's the thing. The most earth-like exoplanet we've found so far isKepler-62f....

So someone negged me for this post. That's fine, but at least explain your reasoning. I was only commenting on the "most earth like planet" when in reality, all we know about it is how much light it dims from its parent star. The video goes into a better explanation than I could.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hubble shows Plutot know which end is up | Spaceflight Now

The moons in question, Nix and Hydra, are believed to be too small for their own gravity to pull them into spheres and instead are thought to be elongated, shaped more like footballs or potatoes. Nix measures about 35 miles by 16 miles while Hydra is slightly larger, measuring approximately 36-by-21 miles.
Kerberos has to be a very, very dark object,? he said. ?In fact, it can only probably reflect about 4 percent of the light that strikes it. So think of a charcoal briquette orbiting between two dirty snowballs. That?s a very, very strange result.?
Man, Pluto and it's moons are incredibly interesting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
At the core of your assumptions, I feel there is the idea of a linear and continuous walk toward the better. The idea that today is better than yesterday and that tomorrow will be better than today and that, as such, whatever we can dream now will be a reality in the future, no matter how distant. When I see some of the theories in the linked article about the different types of civilizations and the graphs about the different steps and filters civilizations might have to go through, I feel they share that vision. I don't. For two simple reasons:

1) "Better" is not an universal notion. It is very much a cultural one. In the name of "better" men walked on the moon, but in the same name books were burned, knowledge forgotten, researches halted, political systems changed back and forth, etc. Civilizations are also well able to rise and fall from their own doing.

2) Predicting scientific progress (even if not hindered by cultural forces), is a perilous exercise, because while we are ingenious, reality does not care, so we depend on breakthroughs that might or might not happen. On top of that, we know there are things we can't know within the aseptic confines of our own mental constructions (I guess G?del killed my childhood dreams), so it seems more than a little presumptuous to think we (or anyone for that matter) can understand everything and solve all problems in our reality given enough time.

The other part of the argument is comparing a very big number of stars with a likeliness of the existence of Type II and above civilizations. The problem is that on one side of this comparison we have some material to make reasonably educated guesses, while on the other we really do not. And while the number of stars is indeed really really big, it is also a lot smaller than the number of legal chess games, so really, given the number of factors needed to reach Type II (if at all possible), it could very well be that the big number is just not big enough (and again, it's not touching the perennity - or lack of thereof - of a Type II and above civilization).
I don't really disagree with anything you said. I think the core of the paradox is:
1. There's a lot of fucking stars.
2. Lots of different shit can happen. You can have an extremely advanced civilization that makes their little dyson sphere and goes into VR world until they devolve into that cute robot movie. But you could also have an extremely social and promiscuous species erupting from a planet and meeting and fucking their way across the galaxy.

My assumption isn't, "Mankind really wants to go out into space, therefore all the other species do.", it is, "Mankind really wants to go out into space, therefore other species may also.".

I think as we continue to explore and get more information about other planets we might find out it just so happens that Earth is extremely rare. On the order of being the only planet with life. Or we might find any number of different results that give us more information for answering the paradox. In the same way we might find out that interstellar travel just isn't feasible for us in ways that makes it probably infeasible for any life form. And the great filter crashes down on us.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was just checking to see how much space they actually have "explored" in Star Trek and it's really only the Milky Way Galaxy. It just isn't feasible with Star Trek technology to visit Andromeda or outside of our own really. 400+ years to get there and 400 back with Star Trek tech..

How big is the known Star Trek universe? - Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange

Taken together, that means that a Federation Expedition to reach the closest galaxy and return home would take over 400 years. Which means that, if they left today with 24th-century technology, such an expedition wouldn't return until some thirty years after the star trek canon ends.
I think there is other life out there but we'll never meet them due to distance. There is zero possibility to me that we are the only intelligent species out there. People just fail to grasp just how big the Universe truly is and for that fact our own Galaxy too.