The Astronomy Thread

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Pluto mountains picture in spoiler for size. Scene is 230 miles across.

nh-apluto-mountains-plains-9-17-15_0.png

More:Pluto 'Wows' in Spectacular New Backlit Panorama | NASA

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pluto is going down as one of the most fascinating Planets in our Solar System.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Such an idiotic definition. Should of just been spherical due to size/mass and completely differentiated inside. People were scared that we might of had 15 planets all the sudden.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Such an idiotic definition. Should of just been spherical due to size/mass and completely differentiated inside. People were scared that we might of had 15 planets all the sudden.
A line needed to be drawn somewhere. If it's drawn to include Pluto, eventually we'll end up with at least a couple dozen. Pluto has far more in common with Ceres, Vesta, Eris, Quorar, Makemake, and a bunch of other KBOs than it does with the rest of the planets. That doesn't mean it's not a really interesting and important object. It's just different.

It's funny how buttmad so many people are about it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nah. Vesta and especially Makemake are far from spherical.

Who cares if we have a few dozen planets in this system? Im willing to bet far more weirder systems are out there.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I'll take one or two of those salient peninsulas near the big ocean. I figure beach-side property should be worth the most in the end. Once the lizards take over tomorrow, that is.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
When I look at Vesta and Ceres they look completely different than Pluto. I could care less if Pluto is a planet or not but from a simple layman they don't look even close to the same.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
When I look at Vesta and Ceres they look completely different than Pluto. I could care less if Pluto is a planet or not but from a simple layman they don't look even close to the same.
Do Earth and Jupiter look the same to you?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Do Earth and Jupiter look the same to you?
Are you trying to claim that one isn't a planet?

When I look at Ceres and Vesta they look like moons or asteroids. They have no distinguishing features to me what so ever that make them planet like. In Vesta's case its not even shaped correctly. Looking at Pluto that isn't the case there also seems to be some actual geology going on there among a lot more interesting shit going on.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
He's saying how similar or dissimilar they may look is irrelevant.
For being a planet yes. I'm simply saying I wish there were other classifications for these bodies based on Geologic activity. It doesn't seem fair to lump Pluto in with these dead cratered worlds. Especially if it turns out that Pluto does in fact have an active core driving its geology.