The Astronomy Thread

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I'm sure hundreds of Soviet scientists and engineers overlooked such a simple solution due to incompetence, despite the fact that they otherwise designed probes that successfully accomplished a very difficult and technically challenging mission.
They had a fair number of Mars failures too. The Soviets had a hard time with early planetary exploration.

Brad2770

They had a fair number of Mars failures too. The Soviets had a hard time with early planetary exploration.
rrr_img_116312.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
I sometimes wonder how long "In Soviet Russia" will last.

Like I can imagine that in 50 years it will still be trotted out occassionaly, and no one will have ANY idea where it came from.

Yakov... you truly made your mark. People will forget Seinfeld, Leno, Louis CK, they'll even forget Carlin. But "In Soviet Russia" will ride shiny and chrome.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Isnt the atmosphere on Venus loaded with sulfuric acid and other joyous corrosive substances ? 50 min of lifetime under 90 bar at 450?C with sulfuric acid is pretty impressive. All that to take pictures of more rocks.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Not denying they had problems. I'm just saying that that shit is difficult and I really doubt that they were goofing things up because of incompetence or obvious oversights.

iannis

Musty Nester
That's what makes the sliding shutter joke funny.

I don't know if we ever even tried for venus. I bet it would be wicked hard to send a probe into orbit around another planet. Harder than crashing a rover on mars? Of course, we have set a few into orbit around mars.

Orbit around the sun seems like it would be pretty easy. You just shoot it west at night and wait.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Judging from some of the crazy half ass shit that went on with MIR I wouldn't be so quick to assume it wasn't some level of incompetence.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Landing a lander and getting data back is crazy hard for Venus especially when you consider when they tried to do it so I think their failures are pretty much acceptable. Trying to do it now while still hard it would be immensely easier. We have better materials that can better withstand the environment we need them to work in.

Szlia

Can they really reuse the rocket? It looks like it caught fire at the very end or was it only superficial? You can see the blacked side when they celebrate.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Can they really reuse the rocket? It looks like it caught fire at the very end or was it only superficial? You can see the blacked side when they celebrate.
They probably can't just fuel her back up and send it on it's way without extensive checks, validation, and some repairs. But just the same it's a very, very important proof of concept.

Brad2770

This was not an Orbital Rocket, so don't put this in the same category of accomplishments like what SpaceX is aiming to achieve. Not that this isn't an amazing feat. Glad some fellow Texans were able to do this.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
This was not an Orbital Rocket, so don't put this in the same category of accomplishments like what SpaceX is aiming to achieve. Not that this isn't an amazing feat. Glad some fellow Texans were able to do this.
Yep, likely not nearly as tricky landing this as it was for the rockets SpaceX is trying to reuse. From what I understand, Blue Origin is just trying to do some short duration space tourism, so they don't go very high and aren't carrying much weight. Still good to see.

I only saw blackening on the very bottom of the side. Are you sure you're not mistaking the big black feather painted on the side as a burn mark?