The Astronomy Thread

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Scientists on the Rosetta mission have found oxygen in the gas cloud around comet 67P in what they described as the most surprising discovery about the comet to date. It is the first time that molecular oxygen - the form of the gas we breathe - has been detected on a comet, and points to a gentle birth for comet 67P some time before the formation of the solar system.

...The finding is puzzling because oxygen is highly reactive and scientists do not expect it to hang around for long in space. "We had never thought that oxygen could 'survive' for billions of years without combining with other substances," said Altwegg.
Rosetta finds oxygen on comet 67P in 'most surprising discovery to date' | Science | The Guardian

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Sounds like they've come up with a more reasonable explanation than "alien mega-structure!" or "ummm... I guess it COULD be comet debris" for the strange dimming around KIC 8462852.

That 'alien megastructure' might be a lopsided star - Business Insider

When a star is oblate, it has a larger radius at its equator than it does at its poles. As a result, the poles have a higher surface gravity, and thus higher temperature and brightness. Thus, the poles are "gravity brightened", and the equator "gravity darkened."

The star becomes oblate (and hence gravity darkening occurs) because the centrifugal force resulting from rotation creates additional outward pressure on the star.

This creates patches of darker and lighter regions within these kinds of stars, so the light curves that make it back to Earth won't look completely uniform. What's more, planets often orbit "obliquely" from Earth's perspective and do not pass directly in front of a star.

So those especially weird light curves from KIC 8462852 could easily be caused by planets passing in front of darker and lighter regions - not alien artifacts floating around it.
TL;DR could be caused by planets orbits if the star isn't actually spherical.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like they've come up with a more reasonable explanation than "alien mega-structure!" or "ummm... I guess it COULD be comet debris" for the strange dimming around KIC 8462852.

That 'alien megastructure' might be a lopsided star - Business Insider

TL;DR could be caused by planets orbits if the star isn't actually spherical.
Honestly, aliens is just about as likely as this explanation. I'll wait until spectroscopic analysis comes back before I start taking most of these ideas seriously. We know the system is very weird, and not many ideas I've heard ring with much truth to me, and I really can't come up with a good reason myself.

Hopefully its something cool, whatever the answer is.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So I didn't see this linked I don't believe, and I thought it was pretty damn stunning. Particularly the depth perception I felt when zoomed into those immensely complex cloud currents or whatever the fuck is going on there. Anyways, +1 for rad, Hopefully we get some more incredible Hubble images of our Gassers as they continue to point the telescope in system in its final years of service.

Brad2770

Pluto!

rrr_img_114643.jpg

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
What did I miss?

Just had a kid, so honestly, most shit I'm not paying attention to right now.