The Astronomy Thread

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
@Sludig

I found a Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Telescopeon craigslist with a ton of extra optics, 7mm, 25mm etc and light filters too. Try that first, the craigslist.

I was looking for about 4 months and was reluctant to pull the trigger on any scope, but took the plunge on the Dobsonian type, it was a great choice.

Gets great views and was able to aim an old digital camera down the optics and zoom further, allowing for nice pics of moon craters, Saturn, and Jupiter.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
SETI just released the first image of an alien in its natural habitat on that planet:

658.png

wink.png

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The upper stage of a Chinese CZ-7-R/B re-entered and caught on camera, pretty cool footage, it almost seems in slow motion compared to the speed that we get impacted by space dust.

1:05 is when the full footage starts.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The upper stage of a Chinese CZ-7-R/B re-entered and caught on camera, pretty cool footage, it almost seems in slow motion compared to the speed that we get impacted by space dust.

1:05 is when the full footage starts.

Thats pretty cool, it is of course slow motion compared to the speed meteors enter! That was what 6-7 km/s... meteors can be 50-70km/s?

khorum

Murder Apologist
So Moon Express finally got FAA and NASA approval for their private moon mission and their shot at the Google Lunar Xprize. They're gonna be the first private company to leave earth orbit. Which kinda explains why they'd pick someone other than spaceX to make their first two stages:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Clearly we need to start working on an interstellar mission to visit that system immediately.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
has anyone heard a meteor (meteorite) sonic boom /impact in RL? I heard a boom and impact last night that was extremely odd, my wife heard it too and we both recognized immediately that is what something uncommon. I'm not sure how to describe it the sound was so low on the tonal range. Loud like a gun shot but yet a much lower sound. Sometimes a large tree falling in the woods behind my house can make quite a ruckus but I have heard that before several times and this was quite different. Today I can't find any evidence of what made the sound.

Just started wondering if maybe it was a meteorite which I would love to find but the undergrowth this time of year is really heavy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user