The Astronomy Thread

Szlia

Well... the explosion creates a massive pressure variation in the air (boom!), making a spherical ripple that expands at the speed of sound. "Sonic boom" does not seem like such an outlandish description even if it is also used for the conical wall of composed pressure variation created by something travelling through the air faster than sound.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So apparently another one passed over California last night. I tried to watch the video on msnbc earlier but the wifi at work blows.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why do all the new articles I see keep calling the explosion a sonic boom? The explosion had nothing to do with a sonic boom caused by a object traveling over the speed of sound. It was the fucking meteor entering the atmosphere, heating up, and blowing the fuck up. Nothing to do with a "sonic boom".
Yeah I agree with you and am guilty of calling it a sonic boom. I think part of the problem is that it sounds like a sonic boom and the object is traveling so fast.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Why do all the new articles I see keep calling the explosion a sonic boom? The explosion had nothing to do with a sonic boom caused by a object traveling over the speed of sound. It was the fucking meteor entering the atmosphere, heating up, and blowing the fuck up. Nothing to do with a "sonic boom".
There were multiple explosions, maybe it was the individual chunks breaking the sound barrier after the thing exploded in the atmosphere

TPDDODD_sl

shitlord
It is quite a coincidence to see so many notable and visible object strikes so close in time to the appearance of asteroid 2102 DA14. The possibility that theses may have been moonlets of 2102 DA14 should be given consideration.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It is quite a coincidence to see so many notable and visible object strikes so close in time to the appearance of asteroid 2102 DA14. The possibility that theses may have been moonlets of 2102 DA14 should be given consideration.
Considering they came from totally different directions, I would say that no they shouldn't be given any consideration for moonlets.

Cheap Cigar_sl

shitlord
Reconstructing the Chelyabinsk meteor's path, with Google Earth, YouTube and high-school math
http://ogleearth.com/2013/02/reconst...h-school-math/

ibyLjVxCZk3IYN.gif

TPDDODD_sl

shitlord
No. They'd all come from the same general direction. These came from completely different directions.

Not related.
Having no formal training in any of the Astro sciences I am at a disadvantage. However you havent confinced me. I can visualize the possibility of a common cause. However if these are just 2 coincidences it is quite coincidental. I am prepared to be wrong, however.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Having no formal training in any of the Astro sciences I am at a disadvantage. However you havent confinced me. I can visualize the possibility of a common cause. However if these are just 2 coincidences it is quite coincidental. I am prepared to be wrong, however.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...g_so_many.html

Go down to the section, "Cosmic Shooting Gallery." Phil Plait explains it in pretty good detail. The tl;dr version is that DA14 was moving south-north and the Chelyabinsk meteorite was moving east-west. They were on different orbital paths.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
That's been addressed repeatedly. It's just coincidence. The objects were on completely different orbits/trajectories.

edit: whoops my bad, just catching up on the thread.