<Gold Donor>
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It's already here broseph.
Where? I meant released to the public, or at least publicly admitting they are using it in military and/or space applications. It clearly isn't public knowledge if an article like that is being written.

But, that still doesn't answer my question of why you, personally, are worried about blood clots and shit if none of that matters due to anti-grav tech already existing (since you know about it even if the author of that article doesn't). Unless anti-grav doesn't include artificial gravity, as I asked? Does it?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
But, that still doesn't answer my question of why you, personally, are worried about blood clots and shit if none of that matters due to anti-grav tech already existing (since you know about it even if the author of that article doesn't). Unless anti-grav doesn't include artificial gravity, as I asked? Does it?
Any of our endeavors in space with our currently reported health issues is a major block for increased habitability. There are plenty of theories to get past this but it will require significant tests and RnD.

Why do I care? These are the next steps for our civilization as we branch out from Earth. It doesn't matter about the tech we have or don't have or hasn't been disclosed or how all that works. We as a species have encountered a wall.

The questions I have are, wouldn't they have seen this in astronauts the last few decades?
Or, what has changed that we can see this barrier now?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Any of our endeavors in space with our currently reported health issues is a major block for increased habitability. There are plenty of theories to get past this but it will require significant tests and RnD.

Why do I care? These are the next steps for our civilization as we branch out from Earth. It doesn't matter about the tech we have or don't have or hasn't been disclosed or how all that works. We as a species have encountered a wall.

The questions I have are, wouldn't they have seen this in astronauts the last few decades?
Or, what has changed that we can see this barrier now?
Obviously I was busting your balls about the anti-grav stuff, and you know that, so I'll drop it now (just like a plane with "anti-grav" would drop! ha, I kid!). However, to legitimately try to answer your final questions, it seems obvious to me that there has never been a time prior to this decade where people stayed in space long enough for these kinds of complications to arise. Since people are staying up there for 6 months at a time now, there is enough time for the next wave of lack of gravity issues to manifest. I am 100% certain that when people start staying even longer they will encounter even more issues that we haven't seen yet too.

Basically, the human body can adapt to a lot of shit for a short period of time. Keep extending that time, however, and things start to break down or act in ways they shouldn't. This is essentially no different than someone that smokes for a month and someone that smokes their entire life. The chances of major complications increase the longer you keep up the detrimental activity. In this case, staying in space/without gravity is that activity.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

I'm no rocket scientist...But isn't this the exact reason we now launch from Florida? That shit is surrounded by water on 3 sides? And gators of the 4th?

And I guess they somehow discovered this. Though I bet it's like Civ 6. They had a spy all up in my University.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I'm no rocket scientist...But isn't this the exact reason we now launch from Florida? That shit is surrounded by water on 3 sides? And gators of the 4th?

It has more to do with the fact that Florida is closer to the equator than the mainland US.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester

I saw that and thought "why they throwing shit into space tho? Guess it pays to be first". lul.

I really don't care, it's just funny. They talk about the ever increasing debris field and just throw shit off the station. Meh, fuck it.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
They talk about the ever increasing debris field and just throw shit off the station. Meh, fuck it.

As it says in the post, "where it will disintegrate into the upper atmosphere". They threw the thing behind the orbit so it will decay faster. Debris in higher orbits is harder because there's less drag.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Hayabusa2 starting it's return home.

India's lost lander found on the moon:

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Thought this was kind of a cool thought exercise, the original tweet was asking what would happen if you fell from the space station into the atmosphere, would you burn up or would something else kill you first.

1575957505263.png

• 3Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I've always assumed that your oxygen tank would run out and you'd suffocate. Because if you fell from the space station, or anything in orbit, you would be very nearly in orbit yourself.

If you made a giant slingshot and aimed yourself directly down I guess maybe it could be slightly different. Maybe not all that much different, that orbital velocity is fairly high. I think if you really super wanted to die the best thing you could do is shoot yourself off the station in the anti-rotation direction. That would be the most effective way to slow yourself down.

Then what happens to your corpse is it most likely burns up in re entry.

• 1Dislike

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I've always assumed that your oxygen tank would run out and you'd suffocate. Because if you fell from the space station, or anything in orbit, you would be very nearly in orbit yourself.

If you made a giant slingshot and aimed yourself directly down I guess maybe it could be slightly different. Maybe not all that much different, that orbital velocity is fairly high. I think if you really super wanted to die the best thing you could do is shoot yourself off the station in the anti-rotation direction. That would be the most effective way to slow yourself down.

Then what happens to your corpse is it most likely burns up in re entry.

Think the premise includes a significant de-orbit burn of some kind. Otherwise you don't come down particularly soon.

• 1Trump
  • 1Salty
  • 1GreNeg

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I had my motorcycle flip out and hurl me into space a few times in Empyrion. I've survived falls from orbit a few times by hitting jumpjets right before impact and landing in water :D

• 2Worf
  • 1Like