The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I can't believe they are still in business let alone launching new satellites. I don't know anyone who subscribes to satellite radio or why they would. Sirius XM could just stream its content over the internet for a fraction of the cost and have a better product.

I subscribe but I do the thing where I call and will only pay the $60/year for it. I listen to some comedy talk shows and some music. But on any long trip I prefer to put on Netflix or a podcast or some YouTube shit.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
A big issue with NASA is with a new president comes new goals and they have to change course every 4-8 years.

I work in aerospace in Los Angeles (DoD side) and know a lot of SpaceX folks. A big advantage they have is SpaceX makes the employees work insane hours for the same pay as the other aerospace companies. Went on a mountaineer trip with a guy who a guy who has a PHD in aerospace engineering and works on the merlin engine at SpaceX over the summer in Washington. The night before the climb he had his laptop and was working in the hotel room while I was going to sleep.

But it's not really the same pay right? Cause the SpaceX guys are getting equity along with that pay for potentially the next big IPO.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Has anyone ever landed a rocket on its thrusters like space x did before?

Pretty sure every milestone from the grasshopper to now has been space x.

I can't remember where I read that NASA floated the idea in the mid 90s.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
But it's not really the same pay right? Cause the SpaceX guys are getting equity along with that pay for potentially the next big IPO.

Im looking at it from the cost to the company. SpaceX labor costs vs the amount of labor they get makes it hard for United Launch Alliance to compete with them. SpaceX is getting 80+ hours a week out of an employee that ULA gets 40-60 hours and pays them the same. Not sure how the equity works at SpaceX but they work employees really hard. A lot of people I know at other aerospace companies would never work at SpaceX due to this.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I haven't worked at NASA but I've worked at other government labs and you can get by at those places working about 2 hours a day and everyone has 5 weeks of vacation etc. That's where my message board addiction started. It's a nice job and they do some good work but they're not going to be able to compete with someplace like SpaceX without completely changing their culture and also probably paying a lot more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
A big issue with NASA is with a new president comes new goals and they have to change course every 4-8 years.
Actually, not that much.

In those matters, the president proposes, and the congress dispose. They're the ones who make the actual budget. Most of the time, the White House has proposed some stuff, Congress said "why don't we spend it more on those contractors instead", and the negotiation ended there. Most Presidents still think they can be somewhat the next JFK inflaming the country, then they don't bother fighting the Congress once it becomes apparent those grifters will not pass a budget unless it includes their pet projects.

Still, priorities change every 4-8-12 years... when the members of the congress committee rotate.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I can't believe they are still in business let alone launching new satellites. I don't know anyone who subscribes to satellite radio or why they would. Sirius XM could just stream its content over the internet for a fraction of the cost and have a better product.
True, but the scam would be exposed ("why do we pay so much for what I get on spotify for pennies?").

That way, "it's satellite, man. Of course it's expensive".

(that said, I have no idea as well)

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
A lot of people I know at other aerospace companies would never work at SpaceX due to this.
SpaceX is the videogame studo of aerospace.

It works because everyone knows they're making historical achievements (and hope they will make History, capital-H).

• 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
SpaceX is the videogame studo of aerospace.

It works because everyone knows they're making historical achievements (and hope they will make History, capital-H).

Video game studios are a bad comparison because they generally don't have this potentially huge stock payoff in the future that SpaceX does. Each worker will value their stock and potential for historical achievements differently, but the stock must also play a big role for many. The valuation on this company 10-20 years out... sky is the limit. Its unknown territory, can imagine some truly astronomical numbers if they keep executing as they have been. Its going to be really interesting to see how Wall Street prices it when it IPOs. It'll be a must-have buy and hold for any respectable portfolio with a 10+ year timeframe. If Tesla, a company that mostly just sells cars, can get to a near-Trillion dollar valuation while having a fraction of the car sales other companies do, what can SpaceX get to when its taking space travel to a level nobody else can compete with?

• 1Like

Cybsled

I presume he will want to keep it private as long as possible. Shareholders and Mars missions don’t mix.

• 1Truth!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone ever landed a rocket on its thrusters like space x did before?
Pretty sure every milestone from the grasshopper to now has been space x.

I can't remember where I read that NASA floated the idea in the mid 90s.

McDonnel Douglas started landing rockets back in the early 90s with the DC-X;

NASA had taken on the project grudgingly after having been "shamed" by its very public success under the direction of the SDIO.[citation needed] Its continued success was cause for considerable political in-fighting within NASA due to it competing with their "home grown" Lockheed Martin X-33/VentureStar project. Pete Conrad priced a new DC-X at $50 million, cheap by NASA standards, but NASA decided not to rebuild the craft in light of budget constraints.[14] Instead, NASA focused development on the Lockheed Martin VentureStar which it felt answered some criticisms of the DC-X, specifically the airplane-like landing of the VentureStar, which many NASA engineers preferred over the vertical landing of the DC-X. Just a few years later, the repeated failure of the Venturestar project, especially the composite LH2 (liquid hydrogen) tank, led to program cancellation
Who knows how accurate that is, but the X-33 which was supposed to replace the Shuttle ended up being a spectacular failure due to mainly the engine it was based around never becoming a reality. Considering how much money NASA was dumping into it, I wouldnt be surprised if they sabotaged the cheaper, more revolutionary option to save face.

Whatever the case, we lost almost 20 years due to it.

Last edited:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
The DC-X first flew, for 59 seconds, on 18 August 1993;[4] it was claimed that it was the first time a rocket had landed vertically on Earth.[11]

Holy fuck, once I saw that thing I vaguely remembered it.

The early 90s...

If my uncle and I were still on speaking terms I would be calling him right now and verbally abusing him.

He would actually know the politics of whether or not it was killed to save face.

But we don't speak anymore.

Hard to imagine, I know.

• 1Dislike

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

cool looking, hopefully they find out more about it

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It will be about 10 minutes before that picture shows up on UFO websites stripped of its context as proof of intelligent life on mars.

• 1Picard

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

cool looking, hopefully they find out more about it
Doing the hard work, so you don't have to.

Ex1AvR1WgAMVwj-.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

It would be interesting if it ended up being a new mineral, unique to science because of the conditions on Mars. River delta is going to have all sorts of interesting shit since it’s essentially a dumping ground for sediment