The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
8912_25790_First_selfie-1200.gif

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I work in aerospace in Los Angeles (DoD side) and know a lot of SpaceX folks. A big advantage they have is SpaceX makes the employees work insane hours for the same pay as the other aerospace companies. Went on a mountaineer trip with a guy who a guy who has a PHD in aerospace engineering and works on the merlin engine at SpaceX over the summer in Washington. The night before the climb he had his laptop and was working in the hotel room while I was going to sleep.
This point is often overlooked when comparing the ULA corps to SpaceX. I can only imagine the kind of dinosaurs and part-timers they have in the rocketry divisions at Boeing who are just looking ride out their careers for an easy paycheck. I can't imagine being an excited, motivated and talented engineer who wants to work in rocketry and going to Boeing or Lockheed. Meanwhile SpaceX can pick from the most promising candidates, grind them into the dirt and get more when they fall.

Last edited:

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Meanwhile SpaceX can pick from the most promising candidates, grind them into the dirt and get more when they fall.

Judging from my cousin's experience, this is absolutely the case. He likes the work and the perks enough that he doesn't really care at this point, but he's definitely devaluing his own time. That said, it's hard to fault him. If I were single in my mid-20's with his skills I'd put in some overtime to say that I got to send shit to Mars.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Judging from my cousin's experience, this is absolutely the case. He likes the work and the perks enough that he doesn't really care at this point, but he's definitely devaluing his own time. That said, it's hard to fault him. If I were single in my mid-20's with his skills I'd put in some overtime to say that I got to send shit to Mars.
I don't know how true it is, but I hear a lot of people are putting in a few years in the SpaceX grinder and then moving onto more balanced jobs where they benefit from their time at SpaceX.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I don't know how true it is, but I hear a lot of people are putting in a few years in the SpaceX grinder and then moving onto more balanced jobs where they benefit from their time at SpaceX.
He hasn't expressed any dissatisfaction, but he's moving with his MD girlfriend to the bay area for her residency and doesn't seem overly broken up that SpaceX won't guarantee he can work remote from there. I think he's been there 5-6 years at this point? It's hard to imagine that with his resume (MIT BS in EE/CS straight to mission-critical stuff at SpaceX) that he couldn't get a job basically anywhere he wanted.

Still, I'd be conflicted about not getting to be there for the first Mars mission. That only happens once.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Starship has been selected by NASA to take humans from lunar orbit to the surface of the moon w/ Starship.

Here's the current plan, as they try and keep SLS alive/relevant:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Starship has been selected by NASA to take humans from lunar orbit to the surface of the moon w/ Starship.

Here's the current plan, as they try and keep SLS alive/relevant:

Still the typical congressional cheapskates keeping us planted firmly on the clown world:

SmartSelect_20210416-163802_YouTube.jpg

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, during the presser they also were asked why they only selected one, and they said 'budget'. Some seeing that as a sign that they need more money if people want more landing system options.

Cybsled

It's win/win for Space-X. They're committed to designing Starship anyways and the design variances between what is going to the moon and Mars are fairly minimal.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Cancel the SLS, it's DOA.

Also disappointed they didn't have enough funding to give to the national team, just so we could have something to compare SpaceX's progress too as the national team runs a circus.

Cybsled

The funny thing is to get their plan to work, the full Starship system of both stages, and orbital refueling, will have to be mostly perfected (unless re-entry is fucky). Which basically means the platform is up and running and like you pointed out, what is the point of SLS at that point? lol

SLS and the capsule are sunk costs at this point, so presumably they'll get used for a time and then like you pointed out, if Starship is successful, that will pretty much be the superior launch platform. Especially the cargo aspect. Any moon or Mars settlement needs materials and the biggest draw of Starship is it can transport A LOT in theory at a lower long term cost.

I mean fuck, in theory the lunar gateway could even end up just being a Starship in orbit or the Starship could be doing the heavy lifting in terms of the station construction.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre

Cancel the SLS, it's DOA.

Also disappointed they didn't have enough funding to give to the national team, just so we could have something to compare SpaceX's progress too as the national team runs a circus.
One SLS exists already and they're gonna build more. My take is if they cancel SLS, congress critters getting money to their districts via SLS will cancel the whole program.

Sucks.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I think the timing works for Spacex because it will take a while to certify starship for human flight to/from Earth, while a lander is actually a bit simpler in a number of ways w/ no flaps, no belly flop maneuver, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think the timing works for Spacex because it will take a while to certify starship for human flight to/from Earth, while a lander is actually a bit simpler in a number of ways w/ no flaps, no belly flop maneuver, etc.
I wonder how many times SpaceX will land starship on mars before it's crewed.

Cybsled

I don't think they'll send any to Mars until the moon shit pans out. Right now, based on the moon mission, it is to serve as a lander craft that is already in lunar orbit. So they'll need the one to serve as the lander, and one/two to serve as refuelers for the lander (one in LEO, and maybe one in lunar orbit)

Moon will let them refine the cargo variant of the starship and also the refueling in orbit piece, which is going to be key because the primary purpose of the initial starships being sent to Mars will be to create supply and habitation. They'll also need to make sure the platform is safe for Earth->Space /w crew inside, so that will all need to be worked out before the #HelloMoon thing can happen, or any NASA missions on the platform.

The current Mars rover mission also has an experiment to test the feasibility of creating fuel from the atmosphere. The whole Starship to Mars plan hinges on the ability to create fuel on site, so the results of this experiment are going to be extremely important. Once they get that squared away/figured out, and figure out an ideal landing site for the first manned mission, then they can start launching Starships to Mars for the purpose of creating fuel and transporting supplies/cargo in prep for the arrival of humans. Probably send approximately 2 years worth of food, backup water supply and oxygen, habitat modules, modules to grow food, surface transport vehicles, power generation, etc. The initial waves will also need to autonomously begin to manufacture fuel for the return trip and store water/produce oxygen.