The Astronomy Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Generally a lot of internet companies over the world are complaining in this way about SpaceX, more or less.

The US has been trying to encourage internet companies to provide service to rural areas by providing money for some time. Generally it seems the companies take some money in exchange for promising an 'improvement' in rural internet access but generally provide very poor support or none. But with SpaceX going for that money, they now complain using any number of frivolous arguments. It's kind of appalling. I'm glad I'm not rural.
I'm very rural so I'm very aware of this situation. They take the government money but still use it in the least rural places that they can possibly get away with because they still make more money there than they would on those of us that are really out in the sticks. I get it. You can run a mile of cable in some "rural" places and get 100 new customers. Here you run 10 miles and get 6. Still sucks for us hillbillies. I was told that we are scheduled for a fiber optic cable through the neighborhood from the local telephone coop in 2024. I imagine we will have had Starlink for at least a couple years by then so even if they run a cable to my house it's not a sure thing I'll subscribe. Right now they charge by the gigabyte and people who stream a lot of HD are paying $200 or even $300 a month for their internet which still makes Starlink sound superior.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
My net is 105 a month for 12/12 mbit, and the whole isp pipe is what you can get to your house in seoul

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Starliner delayed some more.

Good job ULA!
""We're going to let the data lead our work," John Vollmer, vice president and program manager for Boeing’s Commercial Crew Program, said in a statement. "Our team has worked diligently to ensure the safety and success of this mission, and we will not launch until our vehicle is performing nominally and our teams are confident it is ready to fly.""

The data shows that the sooner starliner and the SLS is cancelled and all vice presidents involved are criminally prosecuted for sucking the better.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Static fires are going to be amazing.

1628110387248.png

• 6Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
The National Team System turned out to be unable to take off from the moon in the proposed configuration; they don't actually have a working design at this time, if I recall. It is also considerably more expensive (this is before the inevitable old space cost over runs), and does not have the payload capacity of Starship.

Presumably you could reuse the Starship lander if you could refuel it. Wasn't there some talk of a propellant depot in moon orbit?

The key part really is will SpaceX be able to produce a reliable rocket? What's their track record on this?

(Spoiler: Their track record is pretty good).

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I mean, given old space, if you had a project needing a bunch of new technologies, that would be a pretty big negative, yes. See, for example, Boeing's Starliner project.

But SpaceX... that's what they do. They have been _extraordinarily_ successful in developing new rocket technologies. At this point they have a proven track record for it.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Having been in the Air Force, we spent a fuck ton of money on Boeing and Northrop guys to do literally fuck all. We spent a month with one of our satcom radios not working, it was just a permanent write up. When I finally flew on that jet I was just sitting in the back bored while burning holes in the sky over Iraq staring at the hardware, they wired the damn thing wrong at the depot. All I had to do was swap 2 cables and it worked like a charm. So many of those guys are just useless. I have a lot of stories like that, taking off with systems broke and landing with them fixed, while they tell us we aren't really supposed to do more than power cycle and run diagnostics. While they get paid to not actually fix things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know the physics about it but my favorite version of asteroid mining -> earth is yeeting platinum whiffle balls into the Saraha desert.
That's all fun and games until you realise they give the trajectory plotting job to a diversity hire and end up taking out a major city cos they forgot to carry the 9 or something. But then again, if that major city was LA or NY, they might just be doing humanity a service.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
That's all fun and games until you realise they give the trajectory plotting job to a diversity hire and end up taking out a major city cos they forgot to carry the 9 or something. But then again, if that major city was LA or NY, they might just be doing humanity a service.
There's a whole bunch of threads (where you will be very welcome) to take your political leanings to that way--->

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
There's a whole bunch of threads (where you will be very welcome) to take your political leanings to that way--->
i like this mudcrush. you post gooder here. maybe take your own advice and stop being such a butthurt baby everywhere else.

• 4Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users