The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
We’ve confirmed tech from the 50s is still within our capabilities, congrats nasa.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
SpaceX missions returning from orbit go into the ocean in capsules, at least until Starship gets finished.
Yeah, no point in wasting a rocket just to get a couple humans back to earth. Parachute into the ocean works just fine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brad2770

Yeah, no point in wasting a rocket just to get a couple humans back to earth. Parachute into the ocean works just fine.
58FBFD4D-27C4-4E3E-AE27-097774334B2A.gif

• 3Like
  • 1Triggered
Reactions: 3 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I don't get a lot of time to read all the things these days so I toss on various videos to listen to while working. Thought this was pretty good and informative as he touches on multiple studies/papers/channels content in one go.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Been 50 years ago this week since man walked on the moon.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Any of y'all ever read about Superfluid Vacuum Theory?

It proposes that what looks to us like the vacuum of empty space is actually a superfluid. I had never heard of it before, but has a little spark of revelation one night when I had the thought "what if there was a fluid whose particles are smaller than the Planck length? It could fill the cosmos and we would maybe never be able to tell, like a fish that doesn't understand it's swimming in water."

I don't know why it hasn't been touched more as this yet, but it's also an amazing interpretation of quantum mechanics -- you can basically swap it in for quantum field theory 1:1, and have a better explanation for why the renormalization inherent to the formulas derived from the measurements in quantum mechanics so closely resemble the formulas from classical fluid dynamics.

Closely related to loop quantum gravity. For some reason I haven't been able to find many papers from people synthesizing the two together tho.

This is a little more out there but I also have a theory that connects this to holographic universe theory, looking at our 3D reality is a hologram that exists on the membrane of a higher dimensional singularity. If that singularity is still accruing matter from the extradimensional space beyond our membrane, and superfluid vacuum theory is true, then most of that matter is going to get expressed in our universe as "empty space" / the superfluid that fills the cosmos... Giving an excellent explanation for why the universe appears to be expanding!

Then lastly, perhaps the top speed of light "in vacuum" is such because of the classical fluid friction. But that's getting out there enough that perhaps it will make my earlier statements seem less likely. ^_^

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I love that we shut down the world over a virus that kills almost no one but we take actual alien material around the world like its a can of tuna.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users