The Astronomy Thread

Oldbased

> Than U

As we inch closer and closer, the mission and timings.
Total from prep go to ending should be 3.5 hours.

Oldbased

> Than U
"T- 00:00:00 Excitement Guaranteed"

Lol.
I saw that too.
When you see them construct it, it is amazing the amount of weight that thing bears given thickness just sitting there. Add in 33 fun farters and? Well. Excitement Guaranteed one way or another.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
From what I'm reading they're not trying to practice the Starship landing on the water, I wonder why? I also wonder how close the Booster will land to the launch site. I wonder why they aren't landing it on the ground somewhere they don't mind blowing up. The idea that there are environmental regulations in the shithole marshlands is hilarious and sad.

Cybsled

Marshlands are pretty important ecosystem wise - they act as buffers for coastal erosion, play a role in ground water supplies, and lots of animals (including ones we eat) use marshlands for spawning/breeding/getting food

As for Starship, I do wonder why they aren't trying to land the Starship unit itself? The diagram makes it look like it will just bellyflop into the ocean. I had thought their original plan was to try to attempt a water landing, if feasible, just to see if it would still work after orbital flight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Marshlands are pretty important ecosystem wise - they act as buffers for coastal erosion, play a role in ground water supplies, and lots of animals (including ones we eat) use marshlands for spawning/breeding/getting food

As for Starship, I do wonder why they aren't trying to land the Starship unit itself? The diagram makes it look like it will just bellyflop into the ocean. I had thought their original plan was to try to attempt a water landing, if feasible, just to see if it would still work after orbital flight
Agreed. At minimum I expected them to at least attempt to hover over the water for a few seconds to make sure they could successfully zero out velocity on reentry from orbit.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
weren't they planning on those 'chopstick' arms to grab onto it for the landing? Thought I read something about that awhile back

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
weren't they planning on those 'chopstick' arms to grab onto it for the landing? Thought I read something about that awhile back
They are. Says it on the website, they just aren't attempting the catch on this first launch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

AFAIK the bellyflop is the soft landing. They'd rather risk the hardware than people/assets at the landing site on this attempt. This particular version of Starship is already a couple design generations old.

Cybsled

I get that, but I thought they wanted to see if it could upright land in the ocean vs just smashing into the water

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Supposed to start within 5 years.
avatars-000346174916-0c630s-t240x240.jpg

But seriously, the concept of boring into the ground and then utilizing the excavated material to build upwards with is pretty interesting. It's a huge part of Musk's Mars ambitions that's being worked on in in the Boring Company. I keep tabs on that effort and while it's not as dramatic as SpaceX, they are making steady progress.

The Vegas Loop is expected to build a 65-mile tunnel system from Downtown Las Vegas through Sin City’s resort corridor. The expansive tunneling system has 69 planned stations, noted the LVCVA, and it will end at the Harry Reid International Airport. The Vegas Loop is expected to transport up to 57,000 passengers per hour at full capacity.

Cybsled

But seriously, the concept of boring into the ground and then utilizing the excavated material to build upwards with is pretty interesting. It's a huge part of Musk's Mars ambitions that's being worked on in in the Boring Company. I keep tabs on that effort and while it's not as dramatic as SpaceX, they are making steady progress.

Boring long term might be good, but it isn’t feasible in the short. Besides the logistics of getting the equipment up there, we don’t fully understand how the ground will react to that sort of action or how hard it will be to bore. That is why most early missions are hoping to find large lava tubes or will involve structures we basically bury in regolith to protect against radiation

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Just use lunar hesco barriers. Clears out moondust and provides radiation/micrometeorite protection.