The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Marshlands are pretty important ecosystem wise - they act as buffers for coastal erosion, play a role in ground water supplies, and lots of animals (including ones we eat) use marshlands for spawning/breeding/getting food

As for Starship, I do wonder why they aren't trying to land the Starship unit itself? The diagram makes it look like it will just bellyflop into the ocean. I had thought their original plan was to try to attempt a water landing, if feasible, just to see if it would still work after orbital flight
Sure, marshlands across the globe are important, but the amount of concern given to this shithole of a launch site environment is totally disingenuous.

FtyegyJaEAAPpTj.jpg:orig

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sure, marshlands across the globe are important, but the amount of concern given to this shithole of a launch site environment is totally disingenuous.

FtyegyJaEAAPpTj.jpg:orig
If that thing is going to actually lift off, why are they allowing the public so close?

Cybsled

What, the beach? No chance they let people go there when the thing lifts off. The decibels alone would be dangerous at that distance

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Last edited:

Oldbased

> Than U
Just over 4 hours to first launch window. Let's light this candle!

~3 hours till spacex official stream

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I'm sure this has been disseminated before, but in this interview Musk said the biggest reason there's a gap between Starship flights is they had to redesign the Raptor engine. I don't understand the details but everything I read about the Raptor makes me think it's "very cool". The way they mix the propellants is beyond me but I like the way Musk described it as "It's as if God himself mixed the fuel and oxidizer.".

In many ways I view today's test as a test for Raptor 2 more so than the Superheavy booster or starship.

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing doesn't reach a critical success because of a significant design flaw and they have to go back and design V3. Shit, they probably already have a V3 on the drawing board and are just using this to confirm or tweak the design choices.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Scott Manley was saying in his latest cast that you shouldn't expect the launch to work out without "a lot of delays".