The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Siliconemelons

8 sucked no if ands or buts about it...okay moving on ;-)

12 I got to a point where I had to fight the Wall and I failmoded that even moreso than I did in ff4 :-( so well I am stuck there and never got the willpower to start it up again- I play it on my backwards compatable PS3, its good to keep that bastard around for PS2 stuffs. I started doing bad in FF games when the character advancement system required as much work as the game...and I get it- people love that stuff and thats cool- I don't... I like my characters to grow and be what they are as the story advances etc. so I like more traditional systems etc. That may be why I also did not like 8 and squall is dead...

i look forward to 15 so they can get on to 16 and maybe it will be something I like- until then I am going to play 4 Heros of Light before Bravely Default comes out.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never played anything past 9 and even that game was fairly disappointing. All the characters since then have looked like such colossal faggots that I don't even care about the series anymore. Aesthetics are underrated as far as games go, and the modern final fantasies have none.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I'm sitting in the hospital today getting an IV treatment. The room next to me has this opera classical music playing and it sounds EXACTLY like the slower sound track from Final Fantasy 7, when Sepheroth kills Aereth or whatever. Or maybe it's when you see that his mom is in a chamber. It's that constant "ahhh ahh ahhhh uhhhh ahhhh" sound that just drones on.

Anyway, it's memorable. Put me in a good mood when I arrived here.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Never played anything past 9 and even that game was fairly disappointing. All the characters since then have looked like such colossal faggots that I don't even care about the series anymore. Aesthetics are underrated as far as games go, and the modern final fantasies have none.
Probably covered in this same thread earlier, but the reason why the majority of heroes in FF games (literally every single one, including the first game) look like emo-ladyboys is because of the Japanese aesthetic sensibilities employed by Yoshitaka Amano and other artists. In Japan, there's a huge market for effeminate looking guys with flashy hair and clothing designed by Gackt. So that is what we get in a series of Japanese role playing games. Look up Amano's character designs for literally every FF he's worked on, (he's the concept artist in most, and even the ones he's not involved with borrow heavily from his style) and you'll see ladyboys in most cases. Characters like Cyan from 6, Kain from 4, and Galuf from 5 are supposed to look rugged, while the main dudes almost always have flashy hair and makeup.

The first 8 games would have looked identical aesthetically to the games of today had the technology existed for them to portray them as thus.

Also: 8 sucked. K.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Look up Amano's character designs for literally every FF he's worked on, (he's the concept artist in most, and even the ones he's not involved with borrow heavily from his style) and you'll see ladyboys in most cases.
His art was always agnostic to what art style they use for the actual game. Yes, if IV or VI were made today they would not have the same look as the pixel games, but they still would have had completely different art styles than any modern FF. All the proof you need is the cinematics they made for the remakes.

You take that back you filthy slut Luxer,
Noctis in FF15 looks god damn amazing!
Yea because he looks so different than every other modern japanese character. Modern japanese games suck ass for the most part.

Xalara

Golden Squire
What Rezz said, it is also the reason why the main characters of FF15 look like a male j-pop band. The character designs are different because well, it is a different culture.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
So after over a year of the box sitting unopened in my game pile, after years of MMO addiction I have decided to work on my PS3 backlog. This week I finally started FF13.

So far all I know at the 10 hour mark.Moms are not really that tough.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
For any Collector's Edition/Artbook junkies out there, Squeenix announced a limited run Collector's Edition of Lightning Returns today,only available through their online store.

$90 USD gets you a hardcover artbook, Aerith costume, the original Japanese package artwork, and a pocket watch (?). Looks like they arent shipping these until the day of release so no day 1 playing if you pick one up.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Here are three character video shorts for the Remastered FFX & FFX-2.

First up is Yuna

Next up is Fields

And finally, here's Lulu.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Looking at the "fields" video short...

I know this draws complaints but for me the best part of FFX is how linear it is as it fits the pilgramage storyline perfectly. It builds up massive amounts of tension storywise as you draw closer to the destination since they tell you exactly where it's going to end at the start - especially after the reveal of how the fayth are really made. Makes it even more awesome when you then go and break the whole thing.

FF13 did the linear thing without really understanding why it worked in FFX, as a group of rebels running from the law (like FF7) you really want an open world to vanish into and explore. How can you randomly run away down the only linear straight path? FF12 had the most open world of any Final Fantasy game (and I assume FF14 does as a MMO) so it isn't like there were technology limitations, just up the fucking polycount.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Basically all of the Final Fantasy games are linear, the others were just much better than FF13,at achieving the illusion of freedom.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Being a dungeon on a linear path is a much easier sell than a linear dungeon on a linear path. That is how modern games sort of failed the c-c-c-combo they had running for years. Phoenix Cave in FF6 is 3x the "dungeon" that any game since has had. Even 7 had you in much linear paths through the story, while at least 6 had dead ends mixed in regularly with your scheduled progression. Now, a side path takes a minute to explore and find the ending, while the random encounters+nature of technology of the time made a side trip much more harrowing than today.

The thing is, given that most of the development team has stayed the same over the years, I would imagine that the game would look/feel like modern games to a much larger degree than some people seem to think, and that the linear nature of the games would look much more... linear, than we are willing to attribute to the previous titles. It is just that random encounters and tile-based 16/8 bit graphics make it more intense from that perspective than it really is.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Here are three character video shorts for the Remastered FFX & FFX-2.
Next up is Fields
holy shit, fuck you 100x lightning to get ultimate weapon, fuck had to play the game in the vampire dark to get that.

i had to zandarkand at my wedding

i couldn't really pick an event for it... since it's pretty fucking sad, but i had to have it in there (it's also the wife's favorite too)

we had eyes on me for the cake cutting

you i'm looking forward to the x/x2 remaster, i just moved and holy shit i put our bookshelf into boxes, and just found the big ass collection of brady games ff7/ff8/ff9/ffx/ffx2/ff12/ff13 strategy guides (the wife is a completionist)

btw that was all the video game music at the wedding, basically a toss up between what was suitable and what the dj could legally purchase (to play)

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, fuck that lightning noise. I eventually finished it, but I had to do it in increments of 25, then stop, 25, then stop, etc. Once I got to around 150 or so, I just knew that if I fucked up somehow, I'd end up throwing my controller through the TV or something.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
8 sucked no if ands or buts about it...okay moving on ;-)

12 I got to a point where I had to fight the Wall and I failmoded that even moreso than I did in ff4 :-( so well I am stuck there and never got the willpower to start it up again- I play it on my backwards compatable PS3, its good to keep that bastard around for PS2 stuffs. I started doing bad in FF games when the character advancement system required as much work as the game...and I get it- people love that stuff and thats cool- I don't... I like my characters to grow and be what they are as the story advances etc. so I like more traditional systems etc. That may be why I also did not like 8 and squall is dead...

i look forward to 15 so they can get on to 16 and maybe it will be something I like- until then I am going to play 4 Heros of Light before Bravely Default comes out.
I played the card minigame in 8 for days and days. I wish they would just make an online version of that then they could have all my money.

Sean_sl

shitlord
FFX/X-2 HD Collector's Edition announced, but you can only buy it from Square's store through Digital River and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...elease-date-2/

I really don't understand why Square is putting this and Drakengard 3 up on their store only through Digital River garbage. That's like pretty much assuring that it won't sell anything at all (especially Drakengard 3, which is just the regular edition of the game). This shit needs to be on Amazon.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Bravely Default (Final Fantasy Spinoff) is fucking awesome. The Brave/Default mechanic is genius and needs to be in every game like this from now on, also FFV/FFT job system.