The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Bravely Default (Final Fantasy Spinoff) is fucking awesome. The Brave/Default mechanic is genius and needs to be in every game like this from now on, also FFV/FFT job system.
Oh wow didn't notice this had been released, assumed it was a while since last time I checked release date it was like february next year, but apparently that's the US date and it released already over here. Might buy a DS with that and the Zelda then, finally.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Can i order this shit from EU and play here in the states or is it region locked?

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
It's region locked sadly
frown.png

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Digital River was the company behind the Ni No Kuni collector's fiasco right? Yeahh...no thanks! Shame to, the FF13-3 collector's looks pretty decent.
I have no idea what this is but I have friends at DR and would love to make fun of them. Please elaborate.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They vastly oversold the collector's edition of Ni No Kuni, then cancelled the orders of people who'd ordered it months before release while shipping to others who only placed their order a week before. They also didn't ship the CEs out until several days after the game's release.

Siliconemelons

Bravely Default (Final Fantasy Spinoff) is fucking awesome. The Brave/Default mechanic is genius and needs to be in every game like this from now on, also FFV/FFT job system.
I am playing 4 heros of light- and it is a great basic RPG, sometimes too basic but its a fun little game. That team is the one that made Bravely Default so I am looking forward to its US release- I got my wife the 3ds zelda, so I hope she is done with it by then as I just have her old DSi now and the kids my DSlight

Needless

Toe Sucker
4 heroes of light was entertaining, quite easy but i still enjoyed it.
grinding 4 black mages made getting to level 99 really fast lol

AOE grinding for days

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
???

I had never heard of this game. Looked up lets plays on youtube now.

Square-Enix RPG that looks like a Final Fantasy game from the Squaresoft era coined as a spiritual followup to Final Fantasy 4.

On the 3DS

Next/last gen systems get Lightning returns....

God damn this generation. /sigh

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's basically a better version of Final Fantasy 5 (which I liked ALOT) minus epic Nobuo Uematsu music, I haven't played any spinoffs other than Final Fantasy Tactics Advance so can't comment on the Warriors of Light game.

Battle System:
*Has full job system giving you a passive and the commands from your main job, plus 1-4? choosable passives from whatever jobs you learned and the commands from a second job. It looks really deep.

*Limit breaks have different activation conditions based on weapon type can be customised in 4 categories based on an optional villiage building minigame (like add fire element, posion status - I haven't unlocked anything else yet).

*The Brave/Default mechanic is that instead of doing one turn at a time you can do up to four at once but then your character is in debt and can't do anything for how many turns you used up, or you can save up turns so later you can use four at once and be able to move the turn after too. So for example use four quickly to one shot something annoying, or instead save them up to prepare for a massive healing spell when needed while defending, or save up 4 then buff up and do 8 buffed over 2 turns.

*It has a hard mode which I'm playing so I do need to do a little farming as the bosses do rape you, it was awesome to die to the first boss for once in a game.

*Has the usual weapons, armour and spells. An early cat wizard monster is called "Caith Sith" and a fire damage item references monsters called "Bombs" so I'm going to assume it has some of Cactuars/Malboros/Chocobos too.

Gameplay:
*Im 10 hours in at the start of chapter 2 and I'm guessing that I could be 1/5th in at worst.

*You can TURN OFF or DOUBLE the random encounters to farm or explore without hassle.

*Has the old style world map and has nicely painted 2D backgrounds which blend pretty well with the 3D models.

*Storyline is a bit predictable but has some funny moments as it's a bit self aware on this. When a character suddenly refers to someone as "WHITE MAGE HOLLY WHYTE" you know there is going to be a boss who gives you a new job, it's so out of place it's pretty funny especially the Time Mage one. You flat out kill them too, no kiddie shit here though the graphics look that way. Voice acting and text is well translated to English though I may have given the wrong impression with the above comment.

*Has an augmented reality intro movie with the 3DS camera which is pretty clever and WTF inducing.

Siliconemelons

In the 90's squares B team was seen as "okay, sometimes makes some good stuff" and their C team was lulz FF Legend... now the C team has merged with B and is kicking the A team in the butt because... I don't know what sqeenix's problem is...its like "if game is on console it must be X abount of complexity"

Vorph

It's really not that hard to figure out, is it? Portable games are vastly cheaper to make, still sell for $40, and people are gobbling that shit up. Especially the Japanese, so of course that's going to influence S-E even more. (Too bad the Japanese chose the wrong device though.)

Chris

Potato del Grande
The expense would be the graphics, it doesn't cost any more to write a compelling storyline or battle system with depth.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
It's really not that hard to figure out, is it? Portable games are vastly cheaper to make, still sell for $40, and people are gobbling that shit up. Especially the Japanese, so of course that's going to influence S-E even more. (Too bad the Japanese chose the wrong device though.)
It's not that I don't understand why they chose to develop for the handhelds, it is as you said, all about the money. Cheaper to develop for handhelds. I just find it a shame that it seemed to affect RPGs more than anything. Previous generations all had lots of RPGs for the dominant consoles on the market. However, in this generation, where more people are playing games than any other generation (probably more people that buy games regularly now than in all previous generation combined), RPGs have been very rare. Action games a plenty, but it has been a year+ or so between every AAA RPG released on the major consoles from the big studios. Not even sure if it is an exaggeration to say that there were 10 times the RPGs on both PS1 and PS2 compared to the PS3/360 combined.

I expect it to be even more expensive and time consuming to develop for the PS4/Xbox One, so this generation will probably be even worse for RPGs. Especially if you don't count the games that are also released for the PC making that the obvious choice, like The Witcher 3.

Final Fantasy also needs to focus more on the last part of their name. More Final Sci-Fi now than Fantasy. For me, the design of the Final Fantasy games peaked around 9 with 12 and 13 being the worst. 12 signaled the end of character development, and 13 the end of any sense of an open world. 14 gave me some hope though, as that looked and felt like a FF game from the PS1 era, but sadly 15 is FF versus which seems to aim more towards destroying the turn based aspect of the FF games than it is to going back to the roots of the series. I'd rather have Bravely Default developed for the next gen consoles than FF 15.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't mind sci-fi integration.. 6 and 7 had plenty of that (6 more steampunk, 7 more sci-fi). They really just need to focus on creating an open world with 100x less hand holding. There's a reason people loved 6 and 7. Sure parts were linear, but they let you do what you wanted. FF13 was terrible in linearity.. providing a single path and showing you where to go, all the autoattack and AI control stuff. Go back to the roots!

Vorph

That's part of why I hate that the 3DS is more popular than the Vita. Not only is the DS hardware inferior, the architecture of the Vita and the cross-play features lend themselves to having games developed for both it and the PS3/PS4. I think if the Vita was the dominant handheld, we'd see a whole lot more games for it ported over to PSN even if they never saw a full disc release. Even if they didn't do that, I still believe that the Vita TV will be released in North America in 2014, and that's another solution to the same problem--if it had the games.

Definitely can't agree with the last bit though, except for the part about XV looking like utter shit with it's KH-esque action combat and boy-band character design.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
"Final Fantasy X" Scenario Writer Would Like to See "Final Fantasy X-3"
Have you had enough of the Final Fantasy X storyline? If not, you might like some recent comments made by scenario writer Kazushige Nojima, who wouldn't mind a third installment in the saga.

As FF-Reunion.net's Aibo_AC7 reports, Nojima made a comment about it in Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster's Ultimania book. Regarding a third entry, he said, "If there's enough demand, then we may possibly see new developments? I would personally like to see a sequel like X-3."

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Bravely Default demo is in the US Eshop today. Playing it definitely got me pumped up even more for this game.