The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I noticed in LR if you get stuck where a monster is doing a combo of attacks on you and you aren't getting GUARD on the attacks, you can press L1/R1 and switch to another garb that has guard on the same button and you will starting hitting GUARD on all of the future attacks. It's probably similar to releasing and engaging guard really fast, but I've found it much easier to manage that way. I keep guard on two garbs in case one of them runs out of ATB

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is it possible to go back and do old side quests right before the final boss with chronostasis for effectively infinite time? thinking that I will beat the game asap on normal, but if by some small chance that day 13/14 is a requirement for hard mode id like to be able to correct it if i fuck it up

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
A few of the side quests span multiple days (Tears quest is one for example) so waiting til day 13 isn't so great.

Vorph

Not to mention that you'll probably have a lot of extinct species by day 13 and running perma-stasis actually gets rather hard. (I'm not actually anywhere near the end yet, but I'm already having trouble in some areas.)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bravely Default:
So I'm at chapter 5 and have discovered the joy that is everyone spamming brave once and then crescent moon twice for grinding in front of Florem. Literally brainless rape with hilarious rewards. You don't even need the growth egg to fly through jobs/levels, but it does make it even more hilarious. I'm actually more worried about having enough cash (bought a golden egg for after the growth stuff being done) than I am being too weak to kill things. I hope the nemesis stuff ends up being the actual endgame, because at this point I'm positive I can borderline one-turn some of the remaining bosses. For those having issues in chapter 5, do what I said above (also make sure you have JP up on each character as well as non-elemental weapons, and some phys attack+ bonuses certainly don't hurt) and you'll end up breezing through it, I would imagine.

And a heads up that you don't actually find out til later in the game: bravely second lets you break the 9999 damage barrier. So if you are champing at the bit to have your l33t attack used by other players, that is definitely one way to go about making it more inviting. Once I finish getting all my dudes to 99, I'm going to put up a single-target raep attack and see just how high I can get the damage.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Fuck yeah. Currently I am stuck on the boss in the fire temple that has, so far, raped me about 5-6 times. I think i have it figured out but havent had the time to play yet. The challenge certainly is welcome change from most other video games in the last..decade? I cant even remember the last time i've died to a boss in any other game.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Fuck yeah. Currently I am stuck on the boss in the fire temple that has, so far, raped me about 5-6 times. I think i have it figured out but havent had the time to play yet. The challenge certainly is welcome change from most other video games in the last..decade? I cant even remember the last time i've died to a boss in any other game.
Oh you have much joy to come.

You have to grind a few levels before some bosses, I was trying stuff like jumping over his massive attack but it didn't work (I think the super jump would make it though). In the end I think I levelled up a bit then buffed up HP/Shell/Protect and Defaulted to survive, there was probally a close call spamming Ice attack items with one person alive too.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That dickhole is a pattern fight for sure.
I spent most of my time while it was shielded defaulting to minimize the blood strike healing, and then made sure to default the turn after it transformed. Brave out my defaults for massive damage and healing, swing at it the next turn, then go back into turtle mode. The earth crystal boss was a complete joke by comparison.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Earth Crystal boss:
Earth Crystal boss is much easier yeah, don't think I've ever died to it. Use dispel.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Bravely Default:
So I'm at chapter 5 and have discovered the joy that is everyone spamming brave once and then crescent moon twice for grinding in front of Florem. Literally brainless rape with hilarious rewards. You don't even need the growth egg to fly through jobs/levels, but it does make it even more hilarious. I'm actually more worried about having enough cash (bought a golden egg for after the growth stuff being done) than I am being too weak to kill things. I hope the nemesis stuff ends up being the actual endgame, because at this point I'm positive I can borderline one-turn some of the remaining bosses. For those having issues in chapter 5, do what I said above (also make sure you have JP up on each character as well as non-elemental weapons, and some phys attack+ bonuses certainly don't hurt) and you'll end up breezing through it, I would imagine.

And a heads up that you don't actually find out til later in the game: bravely second lets you break the 9999 damage barrier. So if you are champing at the bit to have your l33t attack used by other players, that is definitely one way to go about making it more inviting. Once I finish getting all my dudes to 99, I'm going to put up a single-target raep attack and see just how high I can get the damage.
Honestly just wait until you get conjurer class. Obliterate insta kills everything 20 levels below you at the beginning of the fightt, which should include these.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I never got Conjurer or Vampire, found it too hard in hard mode and probally moved on a little too quickly.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I don't think I even had to dispelled the earth crystal boss lol, I had enough light damage to hit him for 9999 almost every round so he keeled over quickly

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think I read somewhere that they're thinking about bringing Lightning into future FF releases.. this would displease me and make me sad. Although I honestly like her a bit more than the other protagonists.

Vaclav

I think I read somewhere that they're thinking about bringing Lightning into future FF releases.. this would displease me and make me sad. Although I honestly like her a bit more than the other protagonists.
Not finished it yet, but with the storyline and everything to this one it does seem like they could easily make her a secondary character that's barely referenced.

Also note that FFXV is supposed to be part of the same world IIRC.

So it looks like she's the one who'd get credited as the creator/God there

Chris

Potato del Grande
The character makes no sense, randomly she is the most important person ever or something?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
If you look at the last minutes of that video from Jessie Cox that I posted where he flips out and gives up on the game, he mentions the same thing. Hope it isn't the case. No idea why they have given the FF 13 characters so much runtime. Every FF game has a character or two that isn't as fleshed out and likable, but in 13 they flipped that around and made it nearly everyone. I don't get it.

I did try the Japanese voices and liked that better. Why they would make it a plot point to sound unemotional I don't know. Hire big voice actors, cast them to sound like bad voice actors, again makes no sense along with the story... But sadly I had to switch back to English, because it is hard to get what nonsensical story there is due to having to look down in the bottom left to read all the text Hope says since I could no longer just listen to it. And the time mechanic doesn't really allow you to stop and read the text.

So stupid.

Have no real desire to keep playing LR. Perhaps they will come to their senses and patch in a mode that removes the time limit. FF games should not be timed damnit. I hate time limits in games because I like exploring and I hate missing things. Fairly similar to Jessie Cox in that regard, and hearing him flip out when he left day one, with the guide in hand, on easy, and saying he literally had 12 more things he could do that day according to the guide.... Just no.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Are there any Ribbon's in Bravely Default? I've been surprised that I haven't seen at least one up to chapter 5.