The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

TheBigTor_sl

shitlord
I recently tried to play lightening returns again and cannout get past 2 hours, the game is, in my opinion, unmitigated shit. The combat is awful, the voice acting is fucking dreadful, and a global timer on my gameplay drives me nuts. The timer aspect is what really kills it for me, i like to meander and explore at my own pace and not feel rushed down a specific path. That's just me though.
The thing that is striking me the most about the new generation of final fantasy games is that they seem more about watching the game than playing it. We get it, you want to make movies not games. The combat is about mashing buttons or presetteing up tactics and watching shit play out or having a cut scene or monologe ever few minutes. 13 was bad, 13-2 fixed some things and was fairly good, but 13-3 is everything wrong with SE's current direction, once again, in my opinion.
Maybe, well not maybe, i have gotten old and have fallen out of the demographic these games are being made for but that being said i have zero interest in ff15 and will wait for indepth reviews before i bother considering it as a plausible purchase.

Needless

Toe Sucker
a global timer on my gameplay drives me nuts. The timer aspect is what really kills it for me, i like to meander and explore at my own pace and not feel rushed down a specific path. That's just me though.
Don't worry bro, i'm like this too.. it's why i can't play persona, valkyrie profile or any other game that has that timer integrated into it
frown.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Persona timer is locked to your actions though. If you don't go into the dungeon/back to your room, your time stays the same. Do have to plan ahead and shit however I guess. FF LR timer is only relevant the first few hours of the game, which makes the mechanic even more stupid since it's frustrating at that point until you reach some point where all you have to do is sometimes go back to grind a monster to recharge the meter but mostly you keep the time frozen permanently.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Don't worry bro, i'm like this too.. it's why i can't play persona, valkyrie profile or any other game that has that timer integrated into it
frown.png
I agree with the timer. That's why I refused to ever play Majora's Mask. I HATE feeling pressured on time for the ENTIRE GAME

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
13-2 was alright. I still want to at least try LR(I bought it at launch, put an hour into it) but ugh that timer just annoys me.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I have 13-2 sitting on my table for over a year now, i just cant get myself to finish 13-1. I am at the big green field of grinding on missions and have just no desire to finish it, i mean i want to finish it so i can be done and start 13-2 but i just cant get myself to fire it up anymore, and of course i am way too OCD to start 2 with out 1 being done. Why the fuck was it 20 hours of 1 big hallway , you now have to grind in this one speciifz zone instead of spread out throughout the game. I sailed through the game up until this point, nothing seemed hard, now i am way under level. Fuck this game.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Honestly, you don't get uh.. anything for doing lots of grinding on Pulse before the end of the game. And once you've seen the ending, the only reason to play further is to see a couple of minor cutscenes involving the giant monster robot thing that wanders pulse. I did it because 13-2 wasn't out at the time and I actually enjoyed the combat system, but honestly once you get to the end you are done. Don't worry about doing all the little pulse l'cie missions unless you really want to, you only need to do the required ones that the game forces you to do and then you can beat the game.

Like really, unless you run from like every single fight, you should be more than capped out on crystal points before you beat the last boss. At least, I was. The l'cie missions on Pulse have some nice item rewards (though a lot are just gil or like an x-potion or some shit) but they aren't required, so if they are kicking your ass... don't do them.

Also, if you run a party of Lightning/Fang/Hope with lightning as a Commando/Ravager, Fang as a Commando/Sentinel, and Hope as a Medic/Ravager... you can pretty much destroy everything with three paradigms. The commando/ravager/ravager one for mad guard break, commando/commando/ravager for mad deepz, and commando/sentinel/medic for recovery/tanking... you shouldn't have any issues at all. Hell, you could honestly beat a lot of fights in the game by just having lightning as a commando, fang as a sentinel and hope as a medic and you will more than likely stay alive and kill just about everything, just really f'n slow. It really isn't that hard, even underleveled, as long as you have the right class setup. There's only a couple of gimic fights in the game, and they aren't really that big of a deal at all once you see what is going on.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Can you tell me a bit more about what this game is like? About to pick up a 3ds and a few games as they are buy 2 get 30% off at bestbuy.ca atm.
It's a rhythm game with a shitload of FF music in it. Everything from FF1 through every spinoff game (including Chocobo Dungeon and Dissidia). You build a party of FF dudes (at least 2 from each game, most games have 3 or 4) and tap/slide with the beat. The 2nd game has stylus and button control schemes.

It's addicting as hell and worth the full price if you're into FF. Just make sure you pick up Curtain Call (the sequel) and not the original game.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unsure where to post so figure I'll do it here. I've never owned any handheld gaming systems but I'm tempted to pick up a 3DS but really have no clue about the system. Thinking of just buying it off Amazon just because that's easy and generally a good price. Is it worth it to spend the extra $$$ to get the XL version?

Amazon.com: Nintendo 3DS XL - Blue/Black: Video Games

I'm also wondering if it's worth it to spend $200 on a 3ds then another ~100 on a handful of games, or if I should just put that money towards a ps4/xbone. Looking at some of the 3ds games, I'd love to play that Fire Emblem & Braveley Default, also I was always a fan of Donkey Kong so that DKC Returns looks pretty awesome. Is 3DS really worth it if you don't plan on doing much with multiplayer? If anything I'd bring it along for when I'm on a road trip or just away from home, so having a stable internet connect would be unlikely. I know many games have multiplayer features (bravely default, monster hunter, etc etc) so would not having internet connectivity damper the fun in a lot of these games?

Thanks bros!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I bought one not long ago and I think it was worth it. Definitely more worth it than a PS4, at least for now. I'll pick up a PS4 next february/march or so for Bloodborne and Persona 5 and all that shit that's coming out but atm there's just not much worth it unless you want to play Destiny or Drive Club.

Things to consider:
The 2DS is a ton cheaper, but it's huge and clunky. The XL is definitely worth it when buying a 3DS as the screen is a lot bigger and since there's no video output to plug it into a TV(without modding the console), the bigger the screen is the better. Other good games if you like dungeon crawlers are the Etrian Odyssey series, they're doing remakes of the older ones with new features on 3DS, atm there's IV and the remake of I(untold) and remake of II soonish. Bravely Second is also coming out soonish, so there's a good batch of these games, and monster hunter IV soon if you're into that as well as Fantasy Life/Harvest Moon if you're into those.

The main thing to consider though is next year, probably summer or later, they will release the New 3DS(and yeah, New 3DS is actually the name of it, from the makers of the Wii U and other fucking retarded names). It's basically a 3DS with better hardware and an additional thumstick on the right side, and they might be doing exclusives for it(Xenoblade Chronicles remake is the first and only exclusive announced for it so far). You could wait for that and play the games then.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
as far as Monster Hunter goes, it's pretty good solo(albiet you will run into problems with G-Rank hunts, they have a shit-ton more HP then there normal counterparts...)

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I checked out FF 13 at a friend's house. He was like 12 hours into the PC version, and it was like 99% hallways. Does the game ever open up? Is it hallways and cutscenes forever?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It opens up about 2/3 into the game or something I forgot when but yeah it's slow as shit. The game was criticized a lot for that.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ugh, I really dont' know what to do about the 3DS. Part of me is thinking, well if I waited this long just wait til summer when the "new 3ds" comes out and then you can play, and it'll be the "current" handheld for years. But then part of me is really craving some good RPGs and just having a handheld sounds awesome since I'm always away from home for a night or two each week so having a handheld would be awesome. Then again, blow ~$300 on a new system + games is a good chunk of cash that I could easily use on something else. Ughhh, the choices!

Chris

Potato del Grande
It opens up about 2/3 into the game or somethingI forgot when but yeah it's slow as shit. The game was criticized a lot for that.
No it doesn't. There is a round shaped giant room you need to grind in which looks like Calm Lands in FF10, then there is the final corridor chain right after it.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I bought one not long ago and I think it was worth it. Definitely more worth it than a PS4, at least for now. I'll pick up a PS4 next february/march or so for Bloodborne and Persona 5 and all that shit that's coming out but atm there's just not much worth it unless you want to play Destiny or Drive Club.

Things to consider:
The 2DS is a ton cheaper, but it's huge and clunky. The XL is definitely worth it when buying a 3DS as the screen is a lot bigger and since there's no video output to plug it into a TV(without modding the console), the bigger the screen is the better. Other good games if you like dungeon crawlers are the Etrian Odyssey series, they're doing remakes of the older ones with new features on 3DS, atm there's IV and the remake of I(untold) and remake of II soonish. Bravely Second is also coming out soonish, so there's a good batch of these games, and monster hunter IV soon if you're into that as well as Fantasy Life/Harvest Moon if you're into those.

The main thing to consider though is next year, probably summer or later, they will release the New 3DS(and yeah, New 3DS is actually the name of it, from the makers of the Wii U and other fucking retarded names). It's basically a 3DS with better hardware and an additional thumstick on the right side, and they might be doing exclusives for it(Xenoblade Chronicles remake is the first and only exclusive announced for it so far). You could wait for that and play the games then.
I picked up a PS Vita just for Persona4, and even with a 'timer', it's one of the top RPGs of all time for me. OF ALL TIME lol. No timer in the dungeons, so you can grind your heart out

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No it doesn't. There is a round shaped giant room you need to grind in which looks like Calm Lands in FF10, then there is the final corridor chain right after it.
Let's not forget how fucking retarded the last boss looked. Jesus christ someone was on crack