The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Finished Bravely Default 2. Objectively the worst of the three games. It has some nice QoL features over Bravely Second and the music is good, but everything else is a total nosedive in terms of quality.

Looking back, I really don't understand why people dislike Bravely Second. It took everything the first game did and just did it better. Better character development, less tropey, better job systems, better battle chaining, more cohesive story; etc. It is the pinnacle of all three games and no, bitching about how the composer isn't Revo isn't valid because the music still slaps.

I can go into more detail on why BD2 sucks if anyone wants. But the TL;DR is really just "a rushed and worse copy of Bravely Default." That being said, it's probably still better than the trashfire that is Octopath.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I still need to get around to Bravely Second. Between BD1 and BD2 though, I'd agree. I didn't hate BD2 but it felt a lot easier to break then the first game, like being able to literally shut down bosses to where they can't do anything is kind of dumb. Don't remember if anything like that was possible in the first game though. Not to mention shit like Godspeed Strike hits way to hard, and you get it early on. Also felt that the story took a bit of a nosedive after chapter 4, things felt rushed and I wasn't satisfied with the ending at all.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I still need to get around to Bravely Second. Between BD1 and BD2 though, I'd agree. I didn't hate BD2 but it felt a lot easier to break then the first game, like being able to literally shut down bosses to where they can't do anything is kind of dumb. Don't remember if anything like that was possible in the first game though. Not to mention shit like Godspeed Strike hits way to hard, and you get it early on. Also felt that the story took a bit of a nosedive after chapter 4, things felt rushed and I wasn't satisfied with the ending at all.
Ninja Speed+Lancer Jump+Quad Strike+Double Hit w Axes or some shit, maybe something with Assist or Mimic, I can't remember the specific combo, but you were effectively never on the field for the enemy to attack, and your team daisy chained attacks. BD1. To be fair, it took almost 100 hours to level up all of the appropriate job classes. Even with all that absurdity, on auto it would still take 30 minutes to kill some of those endgame special bosses in your town.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

Godspeed Strike hits way too hard and everything else doesn't hit hard enough. The early game balance is non existent in BD2. Magic is completely worthless. It's like they didn't balance the beginning of the game at all.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Someone released a FF7 mod that does high rez stuff and easy to install. Obviously its a remake of the original game (full) not the Square-Enix remake of last year, which is like only 1/5th the original game (but expanded).

Its a 5.45 gig (!) install with instructions/info here
DLed this and started it today, it’s great. Pretty wild how these really detailed screens they used and you’d only be on it for like 5 seconds lol. Forgot how sometimes it’s really hard to figure out where the fuck an exit is. Install was really easy, they did a great job with simplicity.

After playing FF7r and getting past sector 5 reactor in like an hour it’s pretty cool moving the story along so fast after the crawl that was the remake.

spronk

FPS noob
FF1-6 getting pixel remasters on steam

that price seems ludicrous though, $14-20 each or $100+ for all 6? discounted to like $75 because Square is being so generous during preorder window...

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
FF1-6 getting pixel remasters on steam

that price seems ludicrous though, $14-20 each or $100+ for all 6? discounted to like $75 because Square is being so generous during preorder window...
Yeah I’ve bought those games multiple times in my life. They need to be much cheaper. Especially the first 3, there wasn’t much to those.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Given their history with some of their ports, there is no way I would preorder this. If they turn out good I'll wait for a sale.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Given their history with some of their ports, there is no way I would preorder this. If they turn out good I'll wait for a sale.
I’m sure they’ll be fine. All they did was reskin the originals this time, they didn’t add or change stuff. This IS the sale lol

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I’m sure they’ll be fine. All they did was reskin the originals this time, they didn’t add or change stuff. This IS the sale lol

They can fuck up reskins though, just look at the sprites for FF6. I will hope for the best, as redoing them in unreal like Octopath could make them look great.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
They can fuck up reskins though, just look at the sprites for FF6. I will hope for the best, as redoing them in unreal like Octopath could make them look great.
Well look at the steam video, they look really good. It’s a pixel remaster / upscaled version the original graphics. They didn’t remake them like that ff6 hideous shit. I’d buy this thing if it was like $30 for all of them. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on these six games over my life, I’m not going to pay this price, even on this preorder ‘sale’.

If it was redone in the octopath engine, yeah I’d consider a higher price point, that’s just gorgeous. I put 70 hours into octopath and really it isn’t that great. A lot of my interest was just the graphics and the maps, seeing the environments and spells in that engine.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Making FF1-6 into 3D, or 2D-3D monstrosities always ended up being horrible, it detracted from the original game, they made them uglier. But apparently enough people buy them that they profit, or they wouldn't keep redoing it. Only way this would be cool is if it was a single game, housing 1-6, and the price was like $40 or less total.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That's exactly what this is. The HD-2D branding is them being redone in Unreal like Octopath.
Hmm ok, I guess I meant in that cool style Octopath had. I’m sure they’d fuck that up though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I agree with the complaints on the interwebs, the font they're using is so bad it'd a be a deal-breaker if I was actually considering buying them in the first place... which I'm not because only being on Steam and mobile is retarded. How is it not on Switch from day 1?!

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Can’t believe how expensive these are and that they are steam/mobile only. Maybe they are waiting for all 6 to be released then putting them on switch/consoles as a package deal? One can hope (if they turn out good)

spronk

FPS noob
can talk about it in MMOs forum but since there are probably a lot of people like me who never visit that forum or play MMOs anymore, if you played FF14 at launch you can revisit your character for a "2 week trial" starting now until Aug 23d

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone playing the FF Pixel Remasters later this week? Personally there's no way I'm paying $75 for a bunch of phone ports. However, I'm willing to get one or two of them if I'm actually going to play them. Right now I'm only planning to play FF1, which should give me an idea of how good these remasters are in general. I've been due up for an FF1 replay for like 7 years. Going to go with a super-weird party: Red Mage, Monk, Monk, TBA. Probably a White Mage for the last slot. Red Mage is strong early and weakens as the game goes by, while the Monks are the inverse of that, so they should balance each other out while the WM keeps everyone going (and adds more attack strength to the early-game with anti-undead spells, since the first half is brimming with undead).

Thoughts on the others:
FF2 - Worst game in the series, this is a good opportunity to give it a QOL boost and make it more worth revisiting, like the PSP version did. I doubt they will, though.
FF3 - This is the first time FF3 has gotten an official 2D release in English. TBH they could have probably just released this one by itself for $30 and it would have sold based on that alone. Considered playing this too, but honestly the game is just too much of a pain in the ass later on.
FF4 - Super good game, just played it recently though. It can be beaten in 8 hours, something I never realized. Wonder if this remaster will be the U.S. easy version or the harder Japanese version.
FF5 - The deepest of the six, by far. If I were going to get/play a second one besides FF1 it'd probably be this. However I'll leave that for the inevitable console release.
FF6 - The best of the six. I just hope they don't ruin the character sprites. The pixel art of this game is iconic and second-to-none and they already mangled a lot of the designs in earlier phone ports.

If these got an all-in-one release on a Playstation system with trophy support, I'd buy it and replay all of them while getting 100% trophies. It would at least be something new to do. However, just doing another playthrough of games I've played to death, on a phone screen, isn't appealing. FF1 is fairly short and like I said I'm way overdue for it, so I'll report back once I put some time on that.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone playing the FF Pixel Remasters later this week? Personally there's no way I'm paying $75 for a bunch of phone ports. However, I'm willing to get one or two of them if I'm actually going to play them. Right now I'm only planning to play FF1, which should give me an idea of how good these remasters are in general. I've been due up for an FF1 replay for like 7 years. Going to go with a super-weird party: Red Mage, Monk, Monk, TBA. Probably a White Mage for the last slot. Red Mage is strong early and weakens as the game goes by, while the Monks are the inverse of that, so they should balance each other out while the WM keeps everyone going (and adds more attack strength to the early-game with anti-undead spells, since the first half is brimming with undead).

Thoughts on the others:
FF2 - Worst game in the series, this is a good opportunity to give it a QOL boost and make it more worth revisiting, like the PSP version did. I doubt they will, though.
FF3 - This is the first time FF3 has gotten an official 2D release in English. TBH they could have probably just released this one by itself for $30 and it would have sold based on that alone. Considered playing this too, but honestly the game is just too much of a pain in the ass later on.
FF4 - Super good game, just played it recently though. It can be beaten in 8 hours, something I never realized. Wonder if this remaster will be the U.S. easy version or the harder Japanese version.
FF5 - The deepest of the six, by far. If I were going to get/play a second one besides FF1 it'd probably be this. However I'll leave that for the inevitable console release.
FF6 - The best of the six. I just hope they don't ruin the character sprites. The pixel art of this game is iconic and second-to-none and they already mangled a lot of the designs in earlier phone ports.

If these got an all-in-one release on a Playstation system with trophy support, I'd buy it and replay all of them while getting 100% trophies. It would at least be something new to do. However, just doing another playthrough of games I've played to death, on a phone screen, isn't appealing. FF1 is fairly short and like I said I'm way overdue for it, so I'll report back once I put some time on that.
I’d pay $5 bucks a piece, not their stupid asking prices.