The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
In other unrelated news, it seems FFXI is ending. They're preparing a last expansion over 3 major patches this year, but after march 2016 they're dropping all support for PS2 and Xbox360 and aren't going to be release content anymore even on PC, just balance adjustments and I assume server merges. They're apparently giving the rights to Nexon to make a F2P mobile version of the game of some sort too. Had a pretty good run, 14years.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I played ffxi for like 6 years straight. It isn't mentioned very often but it is one of the most successful MMOs of all time. Wow devoured it in terms of sub's, but I think it was competitive with eq sub numbers. Very sad.

Bought 4 ps2 and hard drives because they kept breaking, that's how addicted I was.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
In other unrelated news, it seems FFXI is ending. They're preparing a last expansion over 3 major patches this year, but after march 2016 they're dropping all support for PS2 and Xbox360 and aren't going to be release content anymore even on PC, just balance adjustments and I assume server merges. They're apparently giving the rights to Nexon to make a F2P mobile version of the game of some sort too. Had a pretty good run, 14years.
This is a shame. I hope the XI community migrates somewhere really good. They have always been a great bunch of people.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is a shame. I hope the XI community migrates somewhere really good. They have always been a great bunch of people.
Agreed!

Let's also not forget that FFXI was the first true cross-platform MMORPG with people playing on PC and PS2 and then later Xbox360 was added. I bet if they added PS4/Xboner support even more people would play. Really good game, great gameplay, and they had the best storylines of any MMO I've ever played (Zilart and Chains of Promathia both had incredible stories). The game did a lot of wonderful things, and really kept the feel of Final Fantasy turn based combat and the overall themes of the series alive very well.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it won't happen soon, the game will still run on life support for a while, so I wouldn't expect people to start moving until next year at the very earliest and probably even later. They also don't have much to go to, FFXI is an old gen mmo like EQ, most people who still play FFXI do so because they like the genre and wouldn't play WoW/XIV instead. I kinda hope they do a F2P thing on PC too so I could check the game out again, see all the content they've added since I last played like 12years ago or whatever it was.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
So, what am I missing w/ targeting on Type0? I am getting old, or this seems messed up. Other than that, neat game, can be hard as fuck (hope that is more because of my lack of targeting) which is pretty unusual for a FF game...

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
for type 0 I did control scheme B; basically you tap R1 to lock on then switch between targets with R2/L2. Helps with the camera a little bit.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Alright, after discovering (I might be retarded) that you can enter and exit the towns on the overworld map to heal your characters infinitely, I am digging the shit out of this. Also the computer AI isn't terrible at all, and they do a better job of killing shit than I do occasionally. The outposts/towns you free during the minimap battle deals have tasks and shit you can complete, so there's reasons to revisit them anyway, but anytime you enter one you heal your entire party to full. I've been basically organizing my roster so that the lowest level people are at the top, and I just keep fighting shit until it wipes out most of the cadets before I return home. Now I need to start calling in help during missions to get upgrades, I guess, but the kids don't need any help. I almost killed the golem "unkillable" boss during the retaking of Togoreth, so I might be a tad overleveled. The melee characters are alright (Eight is a goddamn beast) but I enjoy playing the ranged aspect with King and Ace the most so far.

And yeah, the control type with R1 being the lock is the way to go. Unless I'm on the 5th chain of an encounter I rarely switch mobs mid-health to do damage to another, but then again I'm probably overleveled.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Alright, after discovering (I might be retarded) that you can enter and exit the towns on the overworld map to heal your characters infinitely, I am digging the shit out of this. Also the computer AI isn't terrible at all, and they do a better job of killing shit than I do occasionally. The outposts/towns you free during the minimap battle deals have tasks and shit you can complete, so there's reasons to revisit them anyway, but anytime you enter one you heal your entire party to full. I've been basically organizing my roster so that the lowest level people are at the top, and I just keep fighting shit until it wipes out most of the cadets before I return home. Now I need to start calling in help during missions to get upgrades, I guess, but the kids don't need any help. I almost killed the golem "unkillable" boss during the retaking of Togoreth, so I might be a tad overleveled. The melee characters are alright (Eight is a goddamn beast) but I enjoy playing the ranged aspect with King and Ace the most so far.

And yeah, the control type with R1 being the lock is the way to go. Unless I'm on the 5th chain of an encounter I rarely switch mobs mid-health to do damage to another, but then again I'm probably overleveled.
Oh that dude can be killed, it blows your ranking because it takes so long, I basically took the fist punch guy (eight?) , ACE, and some other random and card powered my way to victory.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I went ahead and bought it for something to do at work. Menus are indeed ghastly. There's also minor slowdown on my fucking Galaxy 6. It's not the kind of game where rock solid framerate matters but it's annoying in principle. It's also a battery hog.

Still, it's one of the best games ever made transcribed to a more convenient platform. I'll take it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just played it a little more and menus are now fine, it was just touchscreen menus plus complicated game with a million menus.

Holy fucking grinding through.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Definitely save as soon as you finish a battle. I played around with the world map after the first battle to remind myself of its features and it force quit after a minute or so. Pretty annoying.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Focusing on a party of 5, everyone has the useful Squire stuff so now starting Knight/Knight/Archer/White Mage/Black Mage. Up to the first battle against Archers and Black Mages so having to grind up some.

Now I've figured out how to actually assign abilities and equipment, seems pretty good. Thank god that it throws you right in without a long forced tutorial like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, kupo.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Triple triad is available on ios/android now. The catch is it is part of some app called Final Fantasy Portal. Was able to play a few matches online pretty easily. You also get a copy of FF1 remake free if you download it before end of the month, but it runs like crap inside the portal app.