The Bard's Tale 4

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
It might look that good when it comes out. No one really knows because those are basically mock ups. The game is well over a year away which means they haven't designed tons of stuff yet. I'm honestly sad to see it on Kickstarter. It would be easy to get real funding for this.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It probably wouldn't be that easy no, not for this genre and not the same kind of funding they'll get from the kickstarter. And really what difference does it make, they've already started working on the game and are probably getting the money from the kickstarter earlier in developement than if they had to make a proof of concept to present to investors and shit and then get the green light. Only real difference is they'll have to have a guy doing updates every now and then on how the developement is going. They'll also get a lot of free testing from people who bought into early access and what not.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
It might look that good when it comes out. No one really knows because those are basically mock ups. The game is well over a year away which means they haven't designed tons of stuff yet. I'm honestly sad to see it on Kickstarter. It would be easy to get real funding for this.
If I read you right you think they could have gotten more funding from a real publisher and made a better game? I dunno tbh, while they certainly made a profit on Wasteland 2, it might not have been enough for a publisher to pick it up. These days publishers want to see WOW level returns or something retarded like that to give the green light and they sure as hell want a measure of control of the end product, both that might work against us players.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Perhaps I am wrong but they 100% admit that they didn't seek funds, not because they thought they couldn't get them, but because they didn't want to. So now they take risk away from themselves and put it on me and you, the consumer. As I see more and more companies across all genre's of gaming doing this it makes me a little mad.

Bard's Tale brings me back to middle school so I already threw in my cash, I'm just not happy about it.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I'd be wary if they weren't also throwing their own money back into it. It's one thing for a company to place the entirety of the financial risk on the backers. It's another thing when they share in the risk. That's why I have no problem making this investment 2+ years before I'll see the results.

moontayle

Golden Squire
About 100k from hitting the funding needed with 30 days left. So it'll hit it.

Latest update has a sweet add-on for the $20+ backers: Emulated versions of the original trilogy with a huge upgrade:

Some of you may know that the emulated versions of these games work on most modern machines, but are a little rough around the edges. Thus, we have an agreement with the original The Bard's Tale III programmer Rebecca "Burger" Heineman and her company Olde Sk??l to update the games for modern machines! She will be working to make the games run natively, without needing emulators, on PC or Mac. This re-releases will be primarily based on the Apple IIGS versions of the games, along with updated art.

Sumi_sl

shitlord
Ok, I'll have a look at the kickstarter for this again. I really enjoyed playing the first Bard's Tale on my Dad's Apple IIGS.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
About 100k from hitting the funding needed with 30 days left. So it'll hit it.

Latest update has a sweet add-on for the $20+ backers: Emulated versions of the original trilogy with a huge upgrade:
I don't think I have the patience to play through those games without an auto-mapper. I hope they add that in.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yeah, right. I'm sure if I could find those maps, they'd fall apart in my hands as I removed them from storage.

My maps were terrible too, I had the laziest notes. I did come across them once a decade ago and I had no idea what half the things I wrote down meant.

Sterling

El Presidente
Had awesome notes on mine. Had like every magic mouth quoted, all the spinners, porters etc all marked. Even mapped all the towns and had one of the wilderness for bt2. Had some pretty serious OCD with these games along with the Ultimas and Wizardry games.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Had awesome notes on mine. Had like every magic mouth quoted, all the spinners, porters etc all marked. Even mapped all the towns and had one of the wilderness for bt2. Had some pretty serious OCD with these games along with the Ultimas and Wizardry games.
Don't remember if it was bards tale or wizardry, but one of them had non obvious teleporters that, in retrospect, were clearly designed to fuck with people trying to map things, I got caught by that one for a good few hours ;p

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yeah I think that was Bard's Tale. You'd get teleported somewhere with the exact same features you were already looking at with a slight visual cue.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah you had to constantly do the location thing. Was a huge pita to map. Move one space, do a loc. 22 by 22 took awhile that way.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
1.5 mil-ish. Not bad, seems there is a market for the old school computer rpgs out there. God I hope they do Wasteland 3 after this....

Qhue

Trump's Staff

Combat video sent out today. Obviously still more of a mocked-up living storyboard than "in game engine" but an interesting take on the turn-based genre

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users