The Bard's Tale 4

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I played a little last night, and yeah, it is definitely something they intend you to play with the provided characters. Which is fine, it just isn't my dream game. I did find a merc token pretty early into the game though, after finding the first guy and following the blood trail and freeing his buddies. I think it was in one of those "hidden" chests that you have to sing for, but I could be mistaken.

I've encountered some of those horrible lag spikes too, but turning everything to High instead of Ultra has reduced them quite a bit. It auto-detected everything except one to Ultra for me, so I should be able to play it that way, but honestly the game isn't that "graphically beautiful" that I notice any difference between High and Ultra. The thing that DID make a difference, and I'm mentioning it here because I wish I had known about it right away, is turning off fucking Motion Blur. Holy fuck, I thought I was losing my sight/mind or something, because I was getting a headache playing the fucking game. Fortunately I checked the options again and saw that. After turning it off, the game is immensely easier to look at, for me at least. Why the fuck would someone want the game to simulate motion blur?? Your eyes do that for you if you turn fast enough, no need to do it artificially.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it, but hopefully the manual gives a little more description of some of the skills. Of course I didn't read it, so I'll do that while I'm supposed to be working!

Oh, and apparently the code I got from Kickstarter also gives me a "Red Boots DLC" along with various items and skins. I found the items and skin (although no idea if that is only usable on a character you make, as it wouldn't really make sense on Melody), but wtf is Red Boots? Clicking on it on the actual Kickstarter page takes me to an imgur pic of Wasteland 2. WTF? Anyone know what the fuck that is? I sort of assumed I'd get fucking red boots, obviously, maybe even like the ones in the Broadway show Kinky Boots, but yeah, not seeing that anywhere.

EDIT: Read those patch notes after typing this. Seems maybe I can't handle Ultra, since that's what it defaults to, so turning the settings down would obviously help.
The special addition items are "hidden" in the gameworld. not that deeply... but placed int he world and you need to find them still.

fire horn and kaels axe are in the Adventurers guild HQ underground. the red boots are on one of the bodies in the cages, in the temple square right next to the AG. where the cultists summon the patrolling demon.

Caliane

Why the fuck is this game 50 gigs?! From the sounds of it, I'll be waiting for some patching/optimization on this. Fine by me as I'm still working on Divinity OS 2.
probably the insane amount of Voice acting.

custom PC characters all do the same VA as melody.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The special addition items are "hidden" in the gameworld. not that deeply... but placed int he world and you need to find them still.

fire horn and kaels axe are in the Adventurers guild HQ underground. the red boots are on one of the bodies in the cages, in the temple square right next to the AG. where the cultists summon the patrolling demon.
Ah ok, thanks. I found the horn and the axe, those weren't very difficult. I haven't tackled the particular area you mentioned for the boots yet, just snuck around it avoiding combat, so that would probably explain why I haven't found them yet.

The only other thing I'm really going to have to adjust my play style for is using consumables. I'm terrible at hoarding them in games until it is past the point where they are even useful, because I always figure "what if?" and will try to beat encounters without them. Seems like they are pretty essential in this game. And the save game system, which I don't like much from the sounds of it (haven't actually died yet to see it in action though), makes it so you really want to win a fight since you aren't gonna just reload quickly and try again. Oh, and with my huge load times, I'm even less likely to want to reload. Anyway, just seems like needing to drink booze to use the good bard skills is going to be hard for me to adjust to, unless that shit is super easy to make/buy for cheap. Same with caltrops, lockpicks, etc.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Ah ok, thanks. I found the horn and the axe, those weren't very difficult. I haven't tackled the particular area you mentioned for the boots yet, just snuck around it avoiding combat, so that would probably explain why I haven't found them yet.

The only other thing I'm really going to have to adjust my play style for is using consumables. I'm terrible at hoarding them in games until it is past the point where they are even useful, because I always figure "what if?" and will try to beat encounters without them. Seems like they are pretty essential in this game. And the save game system, which I don't like much from the sounds of it (haven't actually died yet to see it in action though), makes it so you really want to win a fight since you aren't gonna just reload quickly and try again. Oh, and with my huge load times, I'm even less likely to want to reload. Anyway, just seems like needing to drink booze to use the good bard skills is going to be hard for me to adjust to, unless that shit is super easy to make/buy for cheap. Same with caltrops, lockpicks, etc.

Crafting booze is easy. I use a drink in nearly every fight and I've never run out. You find lots of drink as loot along with the very common ingredients to make it.

That said, I'm missing several of the puzzle weapons. Do some of them activate only if you have a certain party member? Like in the adventurers guild there are supposed to be things, but I can't find any. I watched Cohh just walk up to an item on the wall, but it doesn't light up as lootable for me.

EDIT: 11 hours in and I think I am close to finishing the tutorial city? (Brian Fargo (the dev) was in Cohhs stream and confirmed that the first city was basically the tutorial for the game before it opens up).

Looking forwards to the patch that adds autosorting inventory. I fully expect this to be in my top 10 this year. Certainly not for everyone, but I love it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I adore this game so far. Classic high fantasy. The combat is great. the atmosphere is great. The music is great.

My only real gripes so far are nitpicks. The visuals need to be optimized, and a lot of the character models look pretty dated. Again, though - nitpicks.

Easily going to be one of my top tens too.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I'm enjoying it.

It isn't, however, what I was expecting when I initially backed the game in 2015. Bards Tale was my first computer RPG and so it holds a special place in my heart as a result. I knew that the new game wouldn't be a - a - a - d - d - c stfl, but I was hoping for something a bit closer to that then what we got.

I think the combat system is very good and a nice twist on the old school grid-based CRPGs. The puzzles are top notch for the most part and they have been pretty inventive with shaping the world of Caith beyond the cut-n-paste D&D / LOTR rip off it had been in the past.

I think I will ultimately have a lot of fun with this game, but it doesn't feel 'Bards Tale' enough for me. Not yet anyway.

Caliane

Crafting booze is easy. I use a drink in nearly every fight and I've never run out. You find lots of drink as loot along with the very common ingredients to make it.

That said, I'm missing several of the puzzle weapons. Do some of them activate only if you have a certain party member? Like in the adventurers guild there are supposed to be things, but I can't find any. I watched Cohh just walk up to an item on the wall, but it doesn't light up as lootable for me.

EDIT: 11 hours in and I think I am close to finishing the tutorial city? (Brian Fargo (the dev) was in Cohhs stream and confirmed that the first city was basically the tutorial for the game before it opens up).

Looking forwards to the patch that adds autosorting inventory. I fully expect this to be in my top 10 this year. Certainly not for everyone, but I love it.
The guild puzzle weapons are from the kickstarter/special editions.
basic should have the fire horn. Although, I couldnt grab it either now you mention it. with only standard edition. premium or higher should have all 3.(2 inside, 1 outside)

yeah, I didnt play the previous bards tales. so can't quite comment directly on that.

I screwed myself a bit on the review board last night. I got the 3 prefab party members. 2 of which I allocated stats, to need review. the other 2 didnt get allocated, and I talked to the review board... so the two allocated advanced. the two that didnt, now wont be allowed to until whatever the requirement for "notable deeds is." A single battle enough? need to advance the plot, or complete a quest?

most complaints are def nit-picks. the lack of autosort. Save beacons not appearing on the map. the delay/autotarget for CONSUME save points being the default.. Inablity to reuse Bind savepoints repeatedly, without going to a different save point first. Charge mechanic can soft lock you, getting stuck in walls.

I haven't figured out offerings yet at all either.

Caliane

Web Based Code Wheel for Bards Tale IV

Significantly better that my pre-K quality one I printed out.
ohhhhh. thats right the digital code wheel..

All users who purchased the game directly on Steam should have now received digital extras dependent on the version of the game they got. You should be able to see a listing for your extras as a DLC under your Steam Library entry for The Bard's Tale IV. If Steam hasn't downloaded the extras yet, please try re-checking the box and see if that causes it to begin downloading.

To see your digital extras, you can open the game's installation folder (or go to The Bard's Tale IV in your Steam Library -> Properties -> Local Files -> Browse Local Files) and then check inside the "Extras" folder.

If you purchased the game on Steam but are not seeing your digital extras or DLCs listed, please let us know by replying to this thread.

ok, looking at my standard edition steam. my stuff was not showing up under DLC or in game. But, following the properties>local files, there the Extras folder is. opening up, the .pdf for the code wheel. And the .pdf for the firehorn. the firehorn .pdf has a redeemtion code which can be entered in game, via options.

edit:
the entry mechanic is a bit weird. you put in the code, and apply changes. if correctly entered it will give you a ":)".
it says "new game", but I tested this on an old save, in the adventures guild, it immediately allowed access. I even entered it IN game, not at the main menu. Also, I only have the standard edition, which should only be the firehorn.. but, it let me pick up both the axe AND the firehorn. I did not go out and check for the boots... I would assume that too was awarded however.

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I quit last night after locking up picking up the Fighter's ledger in his house, and didn't have the willpower to wait through the interminable reload time and see where it put me back to, so I didn't get as much playing done as I had hoped. I'm nowhere near as far into it as I had hoped to be.

I haven't done anything with the puzzle weapons yet, or the code wheel. Is it obvious how/when to use those?

Also, I love how every vendor sells legendary level shit, and I have like 80 gp. Hopefully the income ramps up a bit soon!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The code wheel is not as obvious, though they do show on the map as 'code wheel' locations. Basically anytime you see a blue pillar with a couple constellations and a moon on it that's a code wheel situation. Use the wheel to match the constellations / moon and you get a couple numbers that you look up in your adventurers guide (quest item) and that translates into common items. Put those items into the thing and you get your reward.

The first one I did was
The code wheel in the under skara brae section near the waterfall which required a cabbage and a keg and which gave me 300 gold

I have no freaking idea what to do with the elven shrine things however. They seem to be a riddle wanting a single weapon, maybe one of the puzzle weapons?

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I have no freaking idea what to do with the elven shrine things however. They seem to be a riddle wanting a single weapon, maybe one of the puzzle weapons?

Once you fully unlock certain puzzle weapons, the last step will display a line that matches one of the shrines. Put it in and it gives the last upgrade for the weapon.

Next patch will add elven shrine and save totems to the map which will make it a bit easier to find the elven shrines again.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seems like there's a good game in there somewhere but I wouldn't touch it for at least 3-4 weeks: The Bard's Tale IV :: The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Patch Road Map

Runs like shit on my PC with settings on High (w/motion blur/DoF off) even though the autodetect suggests Ultra, 21:9 support is there but the implementation is rather abysmal, and it sounds like there's a bunch more QoL stuff coming soon. Controller support would certainly be welcome, as long as it's the kind where you can play the game with a DS4 and use m/k to do inventory management.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Once you fully unlock certain puzzle weapons, the last step will display a line that matches one of the shrines. Put it in and it gives the last upgrade for the weapon.

Next patch will add elven shrine and save totems to the map which will make it a bit easier to find the elven shrines again.

Ahh gotcha. Speaking of which I'm not sure what the hell to do with the third puzzle for Kael's Axe. I click the green gem and the 'collar' lifts up but then I can't seem to move, click, or do anything.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Ahh gotcha. Speaking of which I'm not sure what the hell to do with the third puzzle for Kael's Axe. I click the green gem and the 'collar' lifts up but then I can't seem to move, click, or do anything.

That's the shrine part. When you lift up the collar, do you see a line of text at the top of the screen? Find the shrine with the matching words and put it in.

Vaclav

Seems like there's a good game in there somewhere but I wouldn't touch it for at least 3-4 weeks: The Bard's Tale IV :: The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Patch Road Map

Runs like shit on my PC with settings on High (w/motion blur/DoF off) even though the autodetect suggests Ultra, 21:9 support is there but the implementation is rather abysmal, and it sounds like there's a bunch more QoL stuff coming soon. Controller support would certainly be welcome, as long as it's the kind where you can play the game with a DS4 and use m/k to do inventory management.

From my optimizing for my lady and I playing it - Shadows is the culprit for most performance stuff ATM.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I moved the install location to my SSD instead of my traditional data drive and the result was a substantial improvement in performance. I suspect the game has silly large textures that it keeps loading over and over.

Vaclav

I moved the install location to my SSD instead of my traditional data drive and the result was a substantial improvement in performance. I suspect the game has silly large textures that it keeps loading over and over.

Could be that too, I only attributed that to improving the loading times though.

Caliane

I didn't realize it, but exiting the game directly is "SAVE and exit", not just exit. you do not HAVE to find a save point to log off.

• 1Like