The Batman

Oldbased

> Than U
They should have called this The Blackman. Full of blacks at night, in the dark. It was like watching where's waldo.
Also lol at the bikes at the end going different directions. Dom did it better.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Finally got around to watching this, IT was Good, but I felt like I had already watched it.
Liked the grim dark, but needs more gadgets OR Ultra Violence.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Did need a 30 min trim
Finally got around to watching this, IT was Good, but I felt like I had already watched it.
Liked the grim dark, but needs more gadgets OR Ultra Violence.

there were a few big moments where the PG-13 really damaged the tone of the movie.

at least two major ones where it didn't make sense to not show anything happening.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
I gave this a chance, this was bad. It was kinda watchable, but still bad.

The voice. Wtf the voice. It sounded like a parody of Dark Knight lol. I was excited for more Detective Batman but really him solving clues affected nothing, BOOM, too late the plot moved on regardless of him solving any clues at all. When he took the suit off, he just looked scrawny, no way believeable that he was walking around in 40 pounds of rubber dropkicking people in the face. And I loved the evil whitepeople line from catwoman. Had hardly any good action sequences, the best part was the car jumping through flames? Wow, some michael bay shit over here. Batman doesn't have a smoke grenade, but he has a small bomb attached to a fire extinguisher instead. Ok.

OH and the bombs went off! Riddler plan went off flawlessly, Batman figured it out too late, and BOOM....a few feet of water? Great plan. All batman did was fall perfectly into Riddler's plans and lined the mobster (and the mayor) right in the crosshairs, didn't even catch the Riddler. Compeletely ineffectual. What a superhero. Gordon saved the mayor more than anyone else. But Batman beat up some sniper thugs right? Great job. Even if he kills the mayor, what does it accomplish?

This movie is a joke.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Wasn't terrible, but like average I guess. I found myself starting to surf Youtube on my phone after the first 2 hours. I'll probably watch it again if there is a sequel, to refresh myself. This is just the same old Batman movie we've been getting since Batman Begins. For the love of God can we get a mature Batman in a world with actual other superheroes? It was why I was really hoping for those Batfleck movies.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Gave it a watch, surprised I liked it as much as I did. I don't think it is a "better" batman film, but I definitely feel that Reeves will have a better playbook on how to move forward throughout whatever is coming from this universe.. Tbh, I wouldn't mind if a dceu jump started from this alas Ironman - > ect - > ect.

The actors character performances were great, even down to how it tied into henchmen as more/less follower copycats. Playing with the whole concept of putting on the cowl inspires others to do the same. I just hope however they move forward, it is consistent.. I'm interested to see how it dissects the psychology but also am interested to see how the criminal org builds and assuming by a penguin series, the strife between itself. I'd just like a proper Bane.

My hot take is more or less it felt like a grounded vers of TAS.. Just without the overt it's from a comic book.. It just felt consistent in the sense that the villain maintains the upper hand, and it's to batman to be resourceful/answer. Memory might be jacked, but the way I remembered pretty much all the previous movies was always some sort of damsel distress signal answering bat. Comics different story, too many writers/series.

I think the only scene that really fucking bugged me, was the initial cat v bat. I'd have to go back and watch it, but cat had black panther levels of cgi bad fighting.
this is a pocket universe Batman. not part of DCEU

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Movie was good, it's just way to long. I wouldn't put it above Batman begins, TDK, or Keaton's Batman. Don't see myself ever wanting to watch it any time soon, might watch it again for the final act because I lost interest at some point and was falling asleep

gauze

Molten Core Raider
this is a pocket universe Batman. not part of DCEU
Yeah, I'm familiar.. I just know that the DCEU is looking at a reboot // "separating" from snyderverse and nobody knows where that'll happen(atleast I dont?); if this were the jumping point.. I wouldn't mind given that it'll be a 10+ yr process.. if done in lieu of mcu playbook. I think as a "young" batman, this movie does well.. I loved Begins, but to me he never felt like a true "young" batman; more tony stark vibes.. and while I agree with the sentiment of an "old" batmans.. I just don't know if setting up a universe with old is the right move unless they're gonna go quick mantle pass.

I'm surprised that a complaint is the grim-dark; idk why but man I love this Reeves/Fraser combo; Let me In was great and Fraser has done good by me with Dune, Zero Dark Thirty, and Rogue One.. and its just a nice contrast to the ultra-bright that Marvel has become. They did well in the sense that when a actor is delivering a performance, the camera is focused on them rather than quick cutting and ADR'ing(William Dafoe and NWH).. and usually when their performance is going on; its clear/visible.

thanks to everyframeapainting, video essays on film are abundant.. doubt there is a huge care for the pretentiousness but there are some regarding Fraser and his liberal use of lighting, camera obscurance, and choice of equipment

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I have mixed feelings about this.

It gets an A for doing Batman as a detective which is my favorite version of Batman, but it gets a D in execution. He‘s outsmarted by Riddle from start to finish, basically he’s a detective that prevents nothing from happening, bad execution on what should have been a good idea.

I liked that while Gordon trust him the rest of the police force barely tolerates him.

I enjoyed the little we got of Alfred, I wish we could have gotten more of him.

I didn’t like Catwoman‘s arc, it was fairly pointless and didn’t bring anything to the movie.

The penguin stole every scene he was in, I hope we get more of him in the future.

Falcone was pretty well done too, and solid performance by John Turturro.

I didn’t like the ”everything being dark for the sake of being dark”. I have no issue with Batman operating during nighttime but everywhere was dark, no indoor room had any lightning ever it was also dark. Even the few scenes during the day were dark. At some point it was so jarring it became a distraction that every indoor room was poorly lit.

The story as a whole wasn’t interesting, I actually ended up watching in 2 sessions because I was bored, not because it was too long I can easily watch 3 hours movie but I was just bored in the middle and had to stop and watch the rest the next day. Stuff was happening but I didn’t care.

All in all, I think there were good ideas that were poorly executed. I think it showed someone that cared about the material but simply didn’t do a good job, that said I hope we get a sequel and they hit the mark the second time around because as i said detective Batman is the most interesting Batman.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have mixed feelings about this.

It gets an A for doing Batman as a detective which is my favorite version of Batman, but it gets a D in execution. He‘s outsmarted by Riddle from start to finish, basically he’s a detective that prevents nothing from happening, bad execution on what should have been a good idea.

I liked that while Gordon trust him the rest of the police force barely tolerates him.

I enjoyed the little we got of Alfred, I wish we could have gotten more of him.

I didn’t like Catwoman‘s arc, it was fairly pointless and didn’t bring anything to the movie.

The penguin stole every scene he was in, I hope we get more of him in the future.

Falcone was pretty well done too, and solid performance by John Turturro.

I didn’t like the ”everything being dark for the sake of being dark”. I have no issue with Batman operating during nighttime but everywhere was dark, no indoor room had any lightning ever it was also dark. Even the few scenes during the day were dark. At some point it was so jarring it became a distraction that every indoor room was poorly lit.

The story as a whole wasn’t interesting, I actually ended up watching in 2 sessions because I was bored, not because it was too long I can easily watch 3 hours movie but I was just bored in the middle and had to stop and watch the rest the next day. Stuff was happening but I didn’t care.

All in all, I think there were good ideas that were poorly executed. I think it showed someone that cared about the material but simply didn’t do a good job, that said I hope we get a sequel and they hit the mark the second time around because as i said detective Batman is the most interesting Batman.
I pretty much feel the same way, Selena was not good at all. My other complaint was his gadgets, everyone hates origin movies but Batman begins and Iron man show you how their stuff works and how it came to be. Throwing his parachute right before a bridge and not really know how it works bugged me

I still can't see how that was Colin Farrell as Penguin, it looked and sounded nothing like him. Tom Cruise you can still hear his voice and it's just a bald fat version of him in tropic thunder and a lot of other actors

I think Moon knight screwed itself with not having an origin story in a way, first episode should have showed him die imo

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
if batman took a lot of heroin and just passed out in his penthouse apartment for a week, would the movie have played out very differently? Riddler would still have done all his shit and almost everything that happened in the movie happened because the press got photos of corruption from The Riddler. A bit of a Indiana Jones 1 problem.

They originally had 4 spinoff shows planned, GCPD around what happens to the Gotham PD under Gordon after this movie, a Arkham TV show, a Penguin TV show, and a Catwoman TV show. They've already cancelled the GCPD one, I doubt it woulda been that good plus shows about cops aren't super popular now.

Penguin one is greenlit and Colin Ferrell has signed on, and is the farthest one along in development. The Arkham and Catwoman ones are still in early development with the original showrunners leaving last year, I could see them using the Arkham one to develop Joker and other villains to put into Batman 2 and 3. See who is popular in the small format first.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if batman took a lot of heroin and just passed out in his penthouse apartment for a week, would the movie have played out very differently? Riddler would still have done all his shit and almost everything that happened in the movie happened because the press got photos of corruption from The Riddler. A bit of a Indiana Jones 1 problem.

They originally had 4 spinoff shows planned, GCPD around what happens to the Gotham PD under Gordon after this movie, a Arkham TV show, a Penguin TV show, and a Catwoman TV show. They've already cancelled the GCPD one, I doubt it woulda been that good plus shows about cops aren't super popular now.

Penguin one is greenlit and Colin Ferrell has signed on, and is the farthest one along in development. The Arkham and Catwoman ones are still in early development with the original showrunners leaving last year, I could see them using the Arkham one to develop Joker and other villains to put into Batman 2 and 3. See who is popular in the small format first.
i doubt the Catwoman one ever sees the light of day or has a second season if it isnt shelved. her whole arc revolves around Batman, she is a shit character on her own, see the Catwoman movie, or dont, hehe. i think Catwoman is there to show that Batman isnt a faggot with Robin.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Every police hates him except one, even the chief, but they still have his spotlight on the top of the building?

• 2Worf

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
This was better than I expected. It's weird because it feels like they were going for the same vibe as Joker but falls short of it. I would see a part 2 if they make it.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Wasn't the riddler always kinda a bit silly like joker but with riddles? penguin, two-face, mr freeze etc. were more straight man types but with gimmicks.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So watched this and agree with almost everyone's points:
The bad:
-Pattenson didn't work out a day for this movie. It's OK but damn. He didn't seem to have the kind of presence with the police I expected either, but that may be because its a Year 2 movie. Relationship with Martinez works out ok, though.
-Too long by at least 30 min if not more.
-Villain plot succeeds (not prevented)l; this is a terrible trend in movies. Does it elevate the villain or denigrate the hero? We get another set piece out of it but there are other ways to get here than "Batman didn't figure out the plot". The whole "BRUUUUCE WAAAAYYYNNNEEE" misdirect works but isn't a substitute for another way to get us to the finale. That would have been better as an epilogue.
-although it wasn't an oppressive amount, it stood out every time they did it: WHYTE PEEPOL BS. Was OK with her saving him as it were but whatever.
- Its kind of a dumb point on my part, but I can stand him shrugging off the small arms fire. The rifle shots and the double barrel straight to the chest at point blank range at the end, though, broke me. Also Gordon taking cover behind his car door. I had to stop the movie and bring my whole family in and tell them: Never take cover behind a car door. Always use the whole car. Its a pet peeve of mine. I was watching in the office alone first to see if kids were going to see it or not. Probably not.
-Gotham's weather sucks.
- I had trouble with the Bat/Cat relationship at times. Catwoman worked at times for me really and didn't at all in others. Felt...like rewrites or shot at different times. Could be just the narrative distance. I don't know that expresses what I trying to say here, if what I got was in the story or part of the movie making process. Maybe another watch through will help me figure this one out.

This list isn't complete its just my first take.

The good:

-Pattenson makes a good Bruce Wayne. His Batman being an unstoppable tank is less believable because his Bruce Wayne is emaciated but it works in the movie. I never questioned him in the Batsuit watchin him on a 43" TV from 3 feed away.
- Detective stuff was good. Penguin misdirect was good. The Batman misdirect was good. I haven't read the "Court of Owls" stuff so if that comes from all that, bravo, it works.
-The action was pretty good and felt well directed. I never felt like they went too far out to make her power wahman! but did let Falcone wreck her with the pool cue.
- The car was good.
- The music was good but not as good as I expected it to be. I am a victim of my own expectations here.

Overall I liked it but it wasn't great. It had a lot of great ideas but was trying to do too much. This movie needs a big edit and lots of things need to go. The long motorcycle ride(s)? Gone. All the orphan/orphanage BS? Gone. (edited)A-splode gone. Put that conversation somewhere else. Lots of things may be precious but you got to jettison some ideas. How much Spanish can go? There isn't a word for that bird in Spanish? How many misdirects? Take one out.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So watched this and agree with almost everyone's points:
The bad:
-Pattenson didn't work out a day for this movie. It's OK but damn. He didn't seem to have the kind of presence with the police I expected either, but that may be because its a Year 2 movie. Relationship with Martinez works out ok, though.
-Too long by at least 30 min if not more.
-Villain plot succeeds (not prevented)l; this is a terrible trend in movies. Does it elevate the villain or denigrate the hero? We get another set piece out of it but there are other ways to get here than "Batman didn't figure out the plot". The whole "BRUUUUCE WAAAAYYYNNNEEE" misdirect works but isn't a substitute for another way to get us to the finale. That would have been better as an epilogue.
-although it wasn't an oppressive amount, it stood out every time they did it: WHYTE PEEPOL BS. Was OK with her saving him as it were but whatever.
- Its kind of a dumb point on my part, but I can stand him shrugging off the small arms fire. The rifle shots and the double barrel straight to the chest at point blank range at the end, though, broke me. Also Gordon taking cover behind his car door. I had to stop the movie and bring my whole family in and tell them: Never take cover behind a car door. Always use the whole car. Its a pet peeve of mine. I was watching in the office alone first to see if kids were going to see it or not. Probably not.
-Gotham's weather sucks.
- I had trouble with the Bat/Cat relationship at times. Catwoman worked at times for me really and didn't at all in others. Felt...like rewrites or shot at different times. Could be just the narrative distance. I don't know that expresses what I trying to say here, if what I got was in the story or part of the movie making process. Maybe another watch through will help me figure this one out.

This list isn't complete its just my first take.

The good:

-Pattenson makes a good Bruce Wayne. His Batman being an unstoppable tank is less believable because his Bruce Wayne is emaciated but it works in the movie. I never questioned him in the Batsuit watchin him on a 43" TV from 3 feed away.
- Detective stuff was good. Penguin misdirect was good. The Batman misdirect was good. I haven't read the "Court of Owls" stuff so if that comes from all that, bravo, it works.
-The action was pretty good and felt well directed. I never felt like they went too far out to make her power wahman! but did let Falcone wreck her with the pool cue.
- The car was good.
- The music was good but not as good as I expected it to be. I am a victim of my own expectations here.

Overall I liked it but it wasn't great. It had a lot of great ideas but was trying to do too much. This movie needs a big edit and lots of things need to go. The long motorcycle ride(s)? Gone. All the orphan/orphanage BS? Gone. (edited)A-splode gone. Put that conversation somewhere else. Lots of things may be precious but you got to jettison some ideas. How much Spanish can go? There isn't a word for that bird in Spanish? How many misdirects? Take one out.
id cut all that emo shit out, Batman has a job, its cleaning up scum. you cant portray somebody like that as a touchy queery little bitch when he isnt wearing the suit. Batman is known as a hard as nails crimefighter and Bruce Wayne is is known for being rich as fuck and slaying pussy at every turn. what we got was an insecure faggot and we got a hard as nails crimefighter, sometimes. fuck bipolar Batman.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wasn't terrible, but like average I guess. I found myself starting to surf Youtube on my phone after the first 2 hours.

normal. most people clocked out in act 3, whether they liked it or not. they threw away a lot of tension, as soon as they blew the build-up, people were mentally checked out.

exactly why I had TDK over it.

• 2Like