The Batman

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
This was a lot worse than what I was expecting given general reviews/buzz. Pretty terrible. Batman didn't do shit. Basically just reading exposition so the audience kept being informed on the convoluted Riddler-plan that would've gone 100% the same if Batman hadn't been in the movie. Trying to cram literally everything from Thomas Wayne to crooked cops to lost hooker to Catwomen childhood on the single mobster felt hilariously dumb.

Definitely not in the Top 5 of Batman movies IMO. YouTube-Clip the car chase and you've got everything worthwhile, basically.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This was a lot worse than what I was expecting given general reviews/buzz. Pretty terrible. Batman didn't do shit. Basically just reading exposition so the audience kept being informed on the convoluted Riddler-plan that would've gone 100% the same if Batman hadn't been in the movie. Trying to cram literally everything from Thomas Wayne to crooked cops to lost hooker to Catwomen childhood on the single mobster felt hilariously dumb.

Definitely not in the Top 5 of Batman movies IMO. YouTube-Clip the car chase and you've got everything worthwhile, basically.
thats a damned good scene, but that police station+escape scene after the explosion at the church was fucking awesome.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I agree with TDK, Begins, and even Burton's but imo personal fav still.. being better standalones. I had this conversation in one of my classes a bit back, but I am pretty sure we're just in an era where major franchise films will be written out for 3+ films and so, while whiney now.. might harden as time goes on.. and he's forced to experience more, depending on what is thrown at him. I do hope with Penguin series planned, that we will get inklings/cameos of batman activity but when the next film comes out.. there is a jump, depending on what is possible in a series or two. I personally liked all the takes on batman in this, regarding vulnerability and Riddler setting the pace. I've always been in the camp of Riddler, Joker? whats the difference.. but the whole Seven playout was good and while the 7bombs bit was kinda lol.. I liked the reasoning for "henchmen" and the influence batman had over the riddler to be another vigilante. We also get thrown a batman early in his career, the whole opening monologue was all about striking fear and being scary.. and the first group of thugs he run into him think he's a Halloween joke.. made pretty clear, atleast to me, hes not top-tier yet. Police right off the rip think hes some shit lord vigilante, while Gordan is the only person to believe in him; presumably something to do with Yr1/Joker.. and by the end, we see him become "The Hero" as hes trying to help people since he comes a symbol of Hope. They tried something like this with the Nolan trilogy, but honestly he just felt strong from the get.. goes through a whole shanghai plot and just feels more impervious/godtier to story from the start. I'd have to watch them again to really have a grasp, its been awhile.

I'd imagine id have a vastly different opinion given Nolan's TDR, but to me it was like buying a nice bed.. having a girl come over wanting to do anal.. then she just diarrheas' all over it the Nolan trilogy. I've also had a declining taste toward Nolan since, maybe interstellar or inception; idk.

also gave it a chance, but that wrist shit on the bat suit was stupid.. whatever those bars are.. i'm guessing by this point its just armor on the outside layer.. I don't remember them being used at all, maybe the tazer bit, but iirc he open palm grabbed him by the neck.. then tazed

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I just didn't care at all about Cat Woman or her storyline. The character was just hollow and a distration.

I loved the IDEA of a Batman the Detective film, and thought if they went the route of a film like Seven/Silence of the Lambs, it could really have been something very special. DC can't play the super hero game the way Marvel is and should go bold and come at it from a completely different angle.

• 1Solidarity

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
like basically everyone has said, they focused on batman being a detective, which should have been great... but he was just rookie detective instead of world's greatest detective so all his detecting didn't really accomplish much of anything.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He chased penguin down, killed any number of innocent people in the process, destroyed millions of dollars worth of infrastructure. Just to be told he's in an idiot and was all wrong. Hu WTF ? Oh I get it they really wanted that car chase scene with the new bat mobile.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
what is Batman's qualifications for being a great detective? was he taught by Sherlock Holmes or something? in this movie it looks like he was taught by Helen Keller.

• 1Like

Animosity

He was only a few years into it and you all act like he should be some super genius by now. He didnt even have all his gadgets and shit. Homeboys gotta learn overtime. Stop looking for plot holes that arent even there.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
He was only a few years into it and you all act like he should be some super genius by now. He didnt even have all his gadgets and shit. Homeboys gotta learn overtime. Stop looking for plot holes that arent even there.
that doesnt wash, Batman was called in as an expert by Gordon because his entire department of DETECTIVES didnt have a fucking clue what was going on, although some rando latinx cop scooped Bats on a rug tool. Riddler who is the same age as Bats completely blindsided him at every turn. at what point do you admit that this Batman is a retard detective?

• 1Worf

Animosity

that doesnt wash, Batman was called in as an expert by Gordon because his entire department of DETECTIVES didnt have a fucking clue what was going on, although some rando latinx cop scooped Bats on a rug tool. Riddler who is the same age as Bats completely blindsided him at every turn. at what point do you admit that this Batman is a retard detective?
You know its a movie right? If he figures everything out in 5 seconds, there would be no story. Its a stupid argument to make. The villain has to have the upperhand for 90% of the story. Even in the comic books Batman doesnt figure everything out by page 2.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You know its a movie right? If he figures everything out in 5 seconds, there would be no story. Its a stupid argument to make. The villain has to have the upperhand for 90% of the story. Even in the comic books Batman doesnt figure everything out by page 2.
even movies have logical rules they need to follow. we have no evidence that this Batman knows a goddamned thing. Batman didnt solve any crime. he was fooled 100% of the time and didnt even catch his man. as was said earlier, the same result would have happened if Batman didnt do anything. perhaps nothing would have happened if Batman didnt get involved at all. he couldnt even keep Morrone from getting shot. this was a clusterfuck of detective work.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Why are you arguing with fedora joe?

• 1Worf

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Some of you guys are real retards. Obviously the Riddler planned this long before so how should Batman figure it out easily? The reason Gordon needed him is that cops are also retards. What do they normally solve?

I don’t know why in two years this Batman isn’t at Bale’s level! I liked the movie. The last part was unneeded as was Catwoman but I really liked a Batman who didn’t have all the answers or gadgets. Must be my dislike of Gary Stus.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
Riddlers plan itself is dumb as fuck. 1 foot of water and a few people dead. All that long planning, he accomplishes it basically 100% his thugs just suck I guess? Amazing.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Riddlers plan itself is dumb as fuck. 1 foot of water and a few people dead. All that long planning, he accomplishes it basically 100% his thugs just suck I guess? Amazing.
The plan is basically Raz ah Ghul's plan from "Batman Begins": Gotham needs to be destroyed, so they lock everyone in using [floods/bridges] and then [magic drugs/deranged loners] will tear the city apart. Batman figures out the plan and goes in to save the day, the little kid, and love interest from disguised bad guys and saves the day. Nolan's version is just better but I like that in this, Batman realizes he needs to be more than scary to bad guys.

Nobody stops villains anymore, it seems.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it's one thing to train in martial arts and get better over time. it's one thing to learn from your mistakes and develop better tactics over time. it's one thing to create tools that make it easier to complete your job over time. it's a COMPLETELY different thing to get smarter over time. you are either intelligent or you are not.

i'm actually all for a batman story where he starts out early in his career, learning how to cope with being a vigilante while still keeping appearances as a playboy, going out to fight bad guys with minimal gear and getting hurt, learning how to be effective while also keeping himself safe enough to keep doing this night after night. i don't want a full story about that, maybe an anthology type story where it shows him gradually becoming more and more effective, better and better tech, even learning how to use his intelligence in more efficient ways, etc...

but bruce wayne was ALWAYS a forensics genius. yes, he learned how to hone that better but he's always had great intuition when it came to crime scenes. it's totally fine to be wrong, sherlock holmes is wrong plenty of times, that's not the issue. the issue is that the detective parts of the movie didn't demonstrate any of that. it didn't show him THINKING about anything. he either knew it (he lies still) or doesn't (flying rat) and just bumbles his way to the next clue. as cheesy as the show was, at least you could tell that Adam West was working through a problem he didn't know the answer to.

yes, it's early in his career, so this would have been shown perfectly with more time with alfred. the two of them sharing ideas and coming to conclusions. batman doesn't have all the answers, so he uses the resources at his disposal to help him. as he grows, he develops more resources.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I like how a lot of people in this thread hate Seven, since the detectives don't really stop the bad guys plan in that movie, even help him fulfill it. Or is there more to a movie than that?

That said, it's not a very impressive movie, the penguin was a bit too much comic relief. It was too long, etc.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Some of you guys are real retards. Obviously the Riddler planned this long before so how should Batman figure it out easily? The reason Gordon needed him is that cops are also retards. What do they normally solve?

I don’t know why in two years this Batman isn’t at Bale’s level! I liked the movie. The last part was unneeded as was Catwoman but I really liked a Batman who didn’t have all the answers or gadgets. Must be my dislike of Gary Stus.
nobody denies this is early, but him being completely useless is still dumb. oh great he caught Penguin, good going bats, wrong guy! oh!. yes, Gordon needed Batman because his department is full of retards. so lets bring in another retard who couldnt stop anything either. yay.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I like how a lot of people in this thread hate Seven, since the detectives don't really stop the bad guys plan in that movie, even help him fulfill it. Or is there more to a movie than that?

That said, it's not a very impressive movie, the penguin was a bit too much comic relief. It was too long, etc.
Se7en is just a couple of detectives trying to solve a crime, which they do, they even catch a break and flush out John Doe from his lair. thats still better than this version of Batman and neither of them wore capes or had advanced tech.

they also didnt need to milk that film for 3 hours and bore people in the last hour. Se7en is an interesting film throughout and it didnt rip off a Batman movie to do it.

• 2Like