The Beer Thread

opiate82

Bronze Squire
For those interested in swapping beers, legal info re shipping alcohol:

It is not against any federal laws to ship your [beer] via a privately owned shipping company for analytical purposes. However, IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHIP ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES VIA THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE. Private shipping carrier's rules and regulations concerning the shipment of beer or alcoholic beverages vary. We strongly encourage you to check with your shipping carrier prior to shipping your [beer].

just got home from NH with a 12 pack of redhook audible ale, $10.99 (love NH).

cozIYF9.jpg

delicious, it has the slogan of "crushable ale" on it. unless this has some deeper meaning I'm not picking up, definitely is a crushable ale. smooth, tasty, good summer beer.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. Shit is awesome. There's also country boys in Lexington that make some great shit.
bought a 4 pack this evening and I really like it. This is a brown ale then diluted in flavor with a sharp alcohol bite. There's the initial smoothness of that no-hop flavor, then the finish of almost a sip of whiskey.

cant recommend this enough.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
ACE is taking pre-orders for their pumpkin cider....any of you guys working for a distributor because I'm close to doling out bj's like candy for some cases. I'm having ill luck trying to secure some for myself.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not to sound like a hipster but Bourbon Barrel was much better when they used older barrels. Now the demand is so high that they can no longer use these old barrels so they basically just buy whatever barrels they can find these days. I think originally they used makers mark barrels. I had it a few years ago and thought it was great then had it again recently and it just tasted really watery and lacked a distinct flavor -- at least to me.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Regarding temperature of beers, I really hate how so many bars put all their beer glasses in the freezers. It's great in the summer when I'm sitting outside in the hot weather, but if I want to drink a stout, etc. I don't want it in a frozen glass.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Regarding temperature of beers, I really hate how so many bars put all their beer glasses in the freezers. It's great in the summer when I'm sitting outside in the hot weather, but if I want to drink a stout, etc. I don't want it in a frozen glass.
I'm normally a pretty forgiving patron but that's grounds to correct your bartender or server. Frosty mugs are fine for a basic lager when its hot out and all like you said, but not for much else really.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
No idea, double post, anyways, had some Deschutes "Fresh Squeezed" IPA, and was pretty disappointed. Deschutes does some pretty good things with beers, but hops-flavor it not one of them.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
No idea, double post, anyways, had some Deschutes "Fresh Squeezed" IPA, and was pretty disappointed. Deschutes does some pretty good things with beers, but hops-flavor it not one of them.
Really? I like mirror pond and Red Chair... Their stouts/sours are amazing though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hey guys, wonder if I can get some recommendations from beer drinkers. Let me preface this question by saying that I hate beer.

Now that's cleared up, I'm looking at getting my groomsmen into a beer of the month club for a gift for them. I'm not sure which one I should go with. They don't really drink craft beers or anything, they just like regular stuff (probably shit-tier for beer drinkers) like Blue Moon, some Shipyard pumpkin thing they were into during Halloween. What would be my best options for guys like that?

Hey guys, wonder if I can get some recommendations from beer drinkers. Let me preface this question by saying that I hate beer.

Now that's cleared up, I'm looking at getting my groomsmen into a beer of the month club for a gift for them. I'm not sure which one I should go with. They don't really drink craft beers or anything, they just like regular stuff (probably shit-tier for beer drinkers) like Blue Moon, some Shipyard pumpkin thing they were into during Halloween. What would be my best options for guys like that?
beer of the month clubs are kind of out of style since craft beers are finally being regularly stocked. what's your question though? do you have to pick which beers they'll be shipped?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just want a decent beer of the month club, with as little manual intervention as possible - or even if there is an option where they can pick which beer they get each month.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'd suggest doing one of the international/import beer of the month clubs. I feel like you're less likely to get some of the hardcore/weird microbrews by going that route. I remember at some point in this thread (or maybe back on FoH?) someone mentioned getting Efes with one of those clubs, and Efes is basically the budweiser of Turkey. Brahma, Peroni, Efes, Baltika are all famous beers from various countries but they're all fairly "mainstream" beers in terms of taste and drinkability.

I have to ask, however, why would you get people who aren't big beer drinkers a beer of the month club membership? It seems like it would be completely unappreciated. Get them a Harry & David fruit of the month membership or something instead.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They're big beer drinkers (daily), but they drink shit-tier beer I'd be guessing. The reasoning is sound, but I'm not sure if they'd like the hardcore stuff like you said. They definitely wouldn't follow the infograph posted above.