The Beer Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Shafly is better than pumking, pumking tastes like cough syrup.

Also, cigar city is all of Florida, New York, and I think Philly. They are continuing to branch out.
Denver/CO from what I remember when I was there.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Been drinking a lot of

large_beer.jpg

But mostly

Firemans4 Beer Logo.jpg

I feel pre-diabetic with the amount of Fireman's I drink. I should probably cut back.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Well, it says a lot about the style when there are only 2-3 pumpkin beers that are even worth buying. I still am not a huge fan of anything from Shafly but I certainly wouldn't tell anyone to avoid them or "gtfo". That's just, like, your opinion man.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Shafly is one of the most mediocre brewers I've had the experience of trying. I've never tried their pumpkin brew though.

kudos

<Banned>
Shafly is one of the most mediocre brewers I've had the experience of trying. I've never tried their pumpkin brew though.
Not sure if you thought I was saying Shafly made the best. While theirs is good its nothing compared to good gourde.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Pliny the Younger

Going to have this in a couple weeks. I was bummed I missed it last year, so I am really looking forward to it. Pliny the Elder is probably my favorite beer right now, and I get it as often as I can. Unfortunately the only place near me that I can get it recently cut it down to 1 per visit, and half the time they are out of stock anyways.

Alex, you should try it if you are an IPA fan at all, it is supposed to be quite good. I am not sure how exactly you find which local bars carry it, but my cousin and I are going to one in Livermore that gets it every year.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
There are quite a few spots in the city that serve Pliny the Younger, but I've heard the lines at those places are absurd when it's available. That shouldn't be surprising I suppose. Pliny the Elder is one of my favorites too.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
There are quite a few spots in the city that serve Pliny the Younger, but I've heard the lines at those places are absurd when it's available. That shouldn't be surprising I suppose. Pliny the Elder is one of my favorites too.
Well duh on my part, I suppose it makes sense that there would be a ton in the city serving it. I know the bar in Livermore gets pretty crazy too, but my cousin hasn't ever had any troubles getting his. I know they give you a wristband as each person is only allowed one. You are welcome to join us if you want to make the trip out to the East Bay.
smile.png

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Unfortunately Russian River cut off distribution to WA so I haven't had the pleasure of PTE, which seems like a travesty considering I am a huge hop-head and IPA fan. Although I can't fault RR because they cut the distribution here because they couldn't meet local demand and decided their local customers are more important. The best I have been able to do is brew up a clone version of it which is reportedly spot on (but I have no verifiable comparison). All I can say is that of all the IPA's I have brewed it had one of the most unique and appealing hop profiles that I have found. Based on what I brewed I understand the PTE hype.

If anyone wants to trade me a few bottles of PTE I'd be happy to send some of my local favorites, not found anywhere else, your way.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't mind doing that, opiate. Hell, I would be interested in trying your home brew to see how close it compares.

I actually have another buddy in Florida who wants to try Pliny and I told him I would ship him one. Is there a safe way to ship beer? Do you just use FedEx or whatever, and package it up real nice ahead of time?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I wouldn't mind doing that, opiate. Hell, I would be interested in trying your home brew to see how close it compares.

I actually have another buddy in Florida who wants to try Pliny and I told him I would ship him one. Is there a safe way to ship beer? Do you just use FedEx or whatever, and package it up real nice ahead of time?
Best bet is to get a styroshipper and ship it that way. Don't tell them it's beer (if they ask, it's "Yeast Samples"), and DO NOT SHIP USPS. Fedex/UPS/whatever. If anything breaks, normally the entire package gets thrown away (so double and triple seal the packages so that even if they break, they don't leak).

How to Pack and Ship Beer | Barlow Brewingis a decent guide by a friend. I've shipped him beer via his method, and I took beer to GABF (via Delta) with a styroshipper. I'd combine the two methods personally.

Styroshipper:Styrofoam Wine Shippers, Styrofoam Wine Shipping Boxes in Stock - ULINE

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Not sure if you thought I was saying Shafly made the best. While theirs is good its nothing compared to good gourde.
LOL I was confused a little bit there too.

Regarding Pliny the Elder I, unfortunately, had wanted to try it for some time before finally getting my hands on a bottle when was visiting a friend in L.A. Reading about it and all the hype surrounding it was a huge mistake - it was like going to see a movie everyone raved about and having these lofty expectations and then being let down when it doesn't blow you away.

It is a great beer, but not the 9.9/10 that a lot of people make it out to be in my opinion (quickly glancing at RateBeer and BeerAdvocate rating it at #16 and #3 respectively). I've tried a LOT of different IPA's and I'm not sure I'd put PTE in my top 5. I dunno, now I want to try it again and see how I feel about it now. I haven't had it in 4 years now so maybe my palette has changed enough to have a different opinion.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Oh yeah Kudos would you be willing to do a beer swap with me? I want to try that Good Gourde now, I've never found a pumpkin beer that compares to Pumking.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It is a great beer, but not the 9.9/10 that a lot of people make it out to be in my opinion (quickly glancing at RateBeer and BeerAdvocate rating it at #16 and #3 respectively). I've tried a LOT of different IPA's and I'm not sure I'd put PTE in my top 5. I dunno, now I want to try it again and see how I feel about it now. I haven't had it in 4 years now so maybe my palette has changed enough to have a different opinion.
How's it compare to overrated, furious, or abrasive?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
If we're talking a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say that it is a half point or 1 point below Furious. If you like Furious you'll like PTE.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
If we're talking a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say that it is a half point or 1 point below Furious. If you like Furious you'll like PTE.
I can get furious [almost] any day of the week. I'm not going to bother trying to get PTE.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I would highly recommend at least trying it - everyone has different tastes and obviously a ton of people like PTE... I just happen to disagree with them to an extent.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I can get furious [almost] any day of the week. I'm not going to bother trying to get PTE.
I'd offer to trade you something if you wanted to but alas... I live in Connecticut and there is not much here worth trading that you can't already get (Unless you want some Gandhi-Bot or when the Zymatore project finally opens it's public house)

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'd offer to trade you something if you wanted to but alas... I live in Connecticut and there is not much here worth trading that you can't already get (Unless you want some Gandhi-Bot or when the Zymatore project finally opens it's public house)
DFH! I'm sure there is something (depending on which state you live closest too).