The Beer Thread

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'd never heard of a quad until Kudos' post a few posts up. I happened to see one at my local liquor store today so I picked it up: Ommegang Three Philosophers.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That one isn't bad, but if you can find a Rochefort 10 or ABT 12 they're great. The La Trappe quad is great, especially if you can find it bourbon aged.

These are regular stuff I can find here, I get nothing special and can't even actually buy Roch in Arkansas

Tampa, FL

Di37Wxz.jpg

You can really taste the whiskey in this. Too thin for an imperial stout but it tastes fine. I wouldn't buy it again but it's decent. The nose on it is terrible however. It smells metallic.
blasphemy is better.

Digfish head piercing pils=good

The peanut butter choc stout I tried=better than expected.

But what I really am loving in the last year is whiskry. And my fav is jeffersons chef collaboration.

Dogfish Head really rung my beer-bell from like 2009-2012.. since then I feel like they're getting stale.

I have rediscovered Ballast Point and Troeg's though.

McCheese

Troegs is awesome. One of my favorites. I don't think I've ever disliked one of their beers.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But what I really am loving in the last year is whiskry. And my fav is jeffersons chef collaboration.
The chef's collab is good? Jefferson's 18 was killer but lots of what they have been doing hasn't been that intriguing.

kudos

<Banned>
A lot of DFH beers 750 bottles have made their way to they bargain bin at my local liquor store. Nobody is buying their crazy beers anymore and it seems like they have an entire wall worth of them. I'm thinking they should get back to the basics more.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
New FDA rules may cut long-standing ties between beer makers, farmers | Sun Journal

FDA understands that many breweries and distilleries sell spent grains ? as animal food. Because those spent grains are not alcoholic beverages themselves, and they are not in a prepackaged form that prevents any direct human contact with the food, the Agency tentatively concludes that subpart C of this proposed rule would apply to them,? according to the FDA rule.

Most small and medium-sized brewers wouldn?t be able to follow these rules without significant investment. Breweries that want to send their spent grains to farmers would have to dry, package and analyze the grains, all without it touching human hands. These efforts would cost brewers money, time and resources, making it too much of a hassle for some to continue partnerships with farmers, according to critics.
"We are from the government, we are here to help"

kudos

<Banned>
It's fucking stupid. Instead they are just going to be sent to the trash dump and wasted.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Sounds like a reasonable rule.
Brewers have been giving away their spent grain to farmers for centuries now without any ill effects to the food supply. It is a win-win relationship, and there is no way anything is happening to that spend grain that doesn't happen to most hay. As a matter of fact, much worse stuff probably happens to the hay that cattle graze on. This is basically the FDA using a loophole in the rules to insert themselves into the middle of this relationship, probably because of money.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My local supermarket had Southern Tier Creme Brulee on tap so I got my growler filled up with it. Drinking it with ice cream is amazing.

Also got the Stone sampler pack. I think the only one in there I haven't already tried is the Oaked Bastard Ale. I've had it not oaked and am interested to try it.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
My local supermarket had Southern Tier Creme Brulee on tap so I got my growler filled up with it. Drinking it with ice cream is amazing.

Also got the Stone sampler pack. I think the only one in there I haven't already tried is the Oaked Bastard Ale. I've had it not oaked and am interested to try it.
The Stone Oaked Bastard is very very good. I prefer it over the original by far!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
BCTC tickets go on sale at noon today. No it's not a joke. Any other rerolled bros going to this?

McCheese

Help me out New England beer friends!

A couple years ago a good friend of mine was in Vermont and he had some beer that he really, really enjoyed, but he can't remember the name of it. It was a fairly local (i.e., New England) brewery and the name of the beer was something snake-ish, like maybe viper, or sidewinder, or something like that. I'd like to see if I can track some down for his birthday. I've done a bit of Googling but I haven't seen anything that looks right. Anyone know what beer I'm talking about?

p.s. No, it's not The Abyss: Special Edition.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Do you at least know what style of beer it was? Was it dark? Was it hoppy? Was it cloudy? My first instinct is to say since he was in Vermont it was something from Alchemist or Lawson's. It wasn't Heady Topper was it?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Bill would require Florida craft brewers to sell beer to distributors, then buy it back for resale | The Raw Story

The law would force craft brewers to sell their bottled and canned beer directly to a distributor. If they want to sell it in their own tap rooms, they would then have to buy it back at what is typically a 30-40 percent mark-up without the bottles or cans ever leaving the brewery, according to Joshua Aubuchon, a lawyer and lobbyist for the Florida Brewers Guild.
"We are from the government, we are here to help."

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
WTF. This has to be Anheuser Busch and Miller lobbying. They can afford this bullshit. Plus, don't the Big 3 have a large stake in many of the distributors themselves? I forget what it is, but I remember when I watched the Beer Wars documentary they mention some serious shady shit that the Big 3 are involved in when it comes to distribution and attempts to stomp out the craft breweries.