The Beer Thread

Lenas

Trump's Staff
My final product. Three weeks start to finish, ended up being about $1 a beer. Time to find recipe #2!

549987_10151211858836570_843563966_n.jpg

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Do yourself a favor and just spend the money and get this:
http://local.amazon.com/minneapolis/...54660_28017470

Might not work for most because of the in-store pickup, but Midwest Brewing (the people from the Amazon offer) are one of the larger mail-order homebrewing suppliers (home winemaking and hydroponics too).

Hell, if you're willing to pay to have it shipped (and pay ahead of time), I'll go in , redeem and ship the thing to you.

E-Bot_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the information guys.

Since it looks like I'll have to buy a refill kit, any recommendations? I was looking over the official Mr. Beer refills kits and it seems like the only difference is the style of beer you want to make. Are there any 3rd party/other brands refills I could buy that would work just as well with the Mr. Beer "keg" I have?
I'd ask how serious you want to get into brewing. Do you just want to do it a couple times to say you did it, without having to read too much or acquiring anything else? Get one of their refills.

You could get an extract kit from someplace like Northern Brewer or Austin Homebrew and cut them in half (I think those Mr. Beer kegs are 2.5 gal). The brewing process will be a bit more involved however.

Otherwise if you know it's a hobby you want to get into and don't mind spending $100-200 just skip that Mr. Beer and get your basic kit for 5 gal batches.

E-Bot_sl

shitlord
My final product. Three weeks start to finish, ended up being about $1 a beer. Time to find recipe #2!

549987_10151211858836570_843563966_n.jpg
Looks good. Give it another week or two conditioning time though, you'll be amazed how much better it's going to get. My first batch I drank half of it before it really hit it's prime, haha.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'd ask how serious you want to get into brewing. Do you just want to do it a couple times to say you did it, without having to read too much or acquiring anything else? Get one of their refills.

You could get an extract kit from someplace like Northern Brewer or Austin Homebrew and cut them in half (I think those Mr. Beer kegs are 2.5 gal). The brewing process will be a bit more involved however.

Otherwise if you know it's a hobby you want to get into and don't mind spending $100-200 just skip that Mr. Beer and get your basic kit for 5 gal batches.
I'm not really sure how much I'll enjoy it, so I'm going to pick up one of the Mr. Beer refill kits and keep it simple to start. If it turns out that I enjoy it then I'll be willing to spend more money and go a bit more in-depth.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
That package is a really great deal. I've actually used the LS/Groupon deal from Midwest a couple times just to get some extra fermenters. Something else you probably want to shop for, if you don't already have one, is a big ass pot. Something 32-quarts (8 gallons) or above. If on a budget aluminum works fine, but I prefer a good stainless.

E-Bot_sl

shitlord
Austin homebrew has 5 gal carboys (glass and plastic) on sale 25% off. Ends at midnight tonight though.

For like 23.50 shipped I'm going to try a couple of the plastic ones.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
So I decided to try the new Bud Black Crown. It's not worth trying. Tastes pretty much exactly like all the other crap they make.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So I decided to try the new Bud Black Crown. It's not worth trying. Tastes pretty much exactly like all the other crap they make.
I had one yesterday. Not the worst thing in the world, but pretty far from anything I'd buy for myself.