The Beer Thread

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
rrr_img_7533.jpg

Picked up a bottle of this yesterday just as a shot in the dark. I've never had any of Jolly Pumpkin's brews before. Damn it was tasty. Had a generic citrusy flavor mixed with a slight yeasty creaminess. Very smooth. I could drink the hell out of this in the summer.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I would recommend Weihenstaphaner for Hefe's over anything else... It may be becoming somewhat commercial, but the taste and story behind the brewery is incredible. Hands down one of the best "old world" brewerys out there that has not changed a single thing in their recipe. Their Hefe Dunkel is incredible aswell!

I'm seeing some German beer love here, so a few recommendations you can probably find easily:

Doppelbock - Spaten Optimator --> Celebrator is better, but costs about 2x as much. Optimator is good and pretty easy to find.
Hefeweizen - Franziskaner --> if you like Shock Top, Blue Moon or Sunset Wheat, give the German style they originated from a try. (For the beer geeks: the listed beers may be more Belgian Wit style, but who's counting?)
Weizenbock - Schneider Aventinus --> A dark wheat bock, sort of a mix of the two styles above. Tastes kind of like banana bread. Typically comes in a purple pint bottle.

Royal

Anyone recommend a beer with a nice orange taste?
rrr_img_7628.jpg

If you're wanting orange flavor, Lost Coast's Tangerine Wheat delivers (orange ... tangerine ... close enough). I found the orange/tangerine flavor a bit overwhelming for my tastes as well as a little too sweet, but it's not one of those beers that's supposed to have a hint of orange peel that you wait around for it to show up after you drink it. It's there.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
World Market is a good spot to get special edition Smokestack releases from Boulevard, on the Missouri side of KC. I picked up some Rye on Rye there recently, and earlier this year they also carried Collaboration #3, and the 2012 Saison-Brett. Decent prices too, I think they were all like $11.99.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Stopped at a local place to pick up Bigfoot yesterday and they had the Rye-on-Rye. Is it any good (should I pick a bottle up)? Any idea of the barrel they're using?

Went to the local bar & grille tonight and was surprised, they went from 9 taps of MBC to 6 MBC and 18 craft. I'm hoping it sticks, because 5 brand new breweries on tap and 3 different Surlys is pretty nice indeed.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Stopped at a local place to pick up Bigfoot yesterday and they had the Rye-on-Rye. Is it any good (should I pick a bottle up)? Any idea of the barrel they're using?

Went to the local bar & grille tonight and was surprised, they went from 9 taps of MBC to 6 MBC and 18 craft. I'm hoping it sticks, because 5 brand new breweries on tap and 3 different Surlys is pretty nice indeed.
Oh yeah, it's Bigfoot season isn't it? Thanks for the reminder.

I had some Rye-on-Rye off the tap and it was nice. If you like a nice beer aged in a liquor barrel, it was a good example of the style.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Oh yeah, it's Bigfoot season isn't it? Thanks for the reminder.

I had some Rye-on-Rye off the tap and it was nice. If you like a nice beer aged in a liquor barrel, it was a good example of the style.
Actually, Bigfoot is like 2 months early. Guy at the store said something about a barrel aged version being available in a couple weeks also.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Had aFirestone 805last weekend. Was the first of their beers I've tried. It's apparently only available regionally as it isn't pasteurized, or something like that. Anyhow, a pretty nice blonde ale, I'd drink it on a regular basis. Worth checking out if you're into that kinda thing.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Had aFirestone 805last weekend. Was the first of their beers I've tried. It's apparently only available regionally as it isn't pasteurized, or something like that. Anyhow, a pretty nice blonde ale, I'd drink it on a regular basis. Worth checking out if you're into that kinda thing.
Firestone is one of my favorite breweries that has recently made its way onto the shelves in my area. Doublejack has become my favorite double IPA.

Tral_sl

shitlord

I really liked Rye on Rye, but I'm on a rye kick at the moment. It's aged in charred oak barrels from Templeton Rye. Now that I've had one fresh, I might see how the other bottle I have ages. We'll see if I have that much self control lol

Lipitaur_sl

shitlord
For those who haven't tried a sour beer and want to give it a go, Duchess de Bourgogne is a good starting point. It is pricey for a beer (around $12 for a 750mL), but it is good stuff and not overpoweringly sour.
The duchesse is one of my favorite sours. Also a big fan of New Belgiums' Lips of Faith Series "Tart Lychee" Beer

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The duchesse is one of my favorite sours. Also a big fan of New Belgiums' Lips of Faith Series "Tart Lychee" Beer
La Folie (same series/brewery) is probably one of the better American sours, but the few I've had in the cellar aren't aging too well.

Anyone use cellarhq to track what they've got?

panzerfaust_sl

shitlord
I would recommend Weihenstaphaner for Hefe's over anything else... It may be becoming somewhat commercial, but the taste and story behind the brewery is incredible. Hands down one of the best "old world" brewerys out there that has not changed a single thing in their recipe. Their Hefe Dunkel is incredible aswell!
Excellent beer. If you can find it, Kuchlbauber dunkele is great too.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzde0hp-8k-P-BXM491IMI1j7svqHR-ntQzUo2wLSpLK-9ALfO-Q.jpg

Royal

Although I drink Franziskaner much more often, Weihenstaphaner is my Hefe of choice when I don't mind putting a little more effort into getting it and paying a little bit more for it. A most excellent brew.